Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prelude to a car theft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Ashworth
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by shortyboy
try installing a kill switch where only you'd know where it is.ive been wanting to do this but i have no idea how to wire it up.
put it after the FP relay or FP fuse......
Should be a bit more convenient in a LHD car too (assuming its <85.5)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 AM
ewainwright
Racer

I've learned from a car dealer that exports cars, our cars are worth a small fortune in parts of South America. They want the whole car not just parts
Old 10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ashworth, burglary at an all time high in England right now? I heard it was getting out of control.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:08 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Yes, I like the idea of a kill switch. let me see if I understand how this works. When you exit your car you flip this switch so that it disconnects your fuel pump. I assume your fuel pump is then reconnected to some sort of Automobile Self defense device? Something like a flame thrower? So, when somebody tries to steel your car it will cook them? Since the Perp is dead, that is why it is called a kill switch??
Old 10-08-2003, 11:09 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Oops, that was steal your car. Not steel your car. Although I guess somebody vandalizing your car with a steel rod could be called steeling?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:11 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, that Lotus in For Your Eyes Only had a pretty effective anti-theft system. It's a bit hard on the paint, though...

BB.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Ashworth
5th Gear

Originally posted by judd944
Ashworth, burglary at an all time high in England right now? I heard it was getting out of control.
It's certainly getting worse but still isnt bad (ive never had a car stolen/broken into/house robbed/ or been mugged.

The big thing is that since banning ALL handguns (even licensed or kept at a club) - gun related crime has gone up. people are getting shot much more often (or its getting on the news more often).

Mostly its gang/drug related though, so im not worried.

I still think England is one of the safest places to live....
Old 10-08-2003, 12:17 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Funny, you can leave your helmet on your harley, no one messes with it. Stigma is instant death.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
James86-951
Pro

I mentioned that I lived in Kennesaw, GA. They responded to the control advocates by mandating that all households within the city limits have one handgun. They further required the owners to be trained in the weapon and the law. Crime dropped 40% across the board. It is public record, look it up. You will never hear about it in the news though.

I am not a fan of deadly force. Certainly not for my car. I am however an advocate for self defense. The gray area comes in the situation where you are in the car at the time of the theft. Do you feel as though your life is in danger? Do you have the clear means by which to defend yourself?

As mentioned before, the criminals are becoming more brutal. My wife and I stop watching certain news shows due to the body count. (It's a morbid game we used to play.) I am not sure if it due to sensationalism, effects of the media (movies, etc.), or the lack of respect/responsibility that has been reinforced in our society. I feel as though it is a mix of everything. The point I am trying to make is this: Do not use deadly force if you are not in direct danger, if you do, be ready for it to be used against you.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm even more scared now.

The talk has gone from "we should be able to defend ourselves" to "we need to shoot more!!".

Let me fill in anyone who doesn't see why some of us find this thead scary.

Everything that has been discussed here isn't even a thought process in our heads. Fathom that for a second. In Canada and other parts of the world, we don't even THINK about what some of you are actually DOING. Reading this thread really opens ones eyes to how much Americans really fear their neighbour. It is NOTHING like that up here......not even remotely close.

I will add a few points. If you start "protecting your family" MORE, then the crooks will just get more aggressive and obtain more powerful weapons. Also, crack isn't exactly the best drug for rationalizing. Most criminals on crack don't really "think" about which spot is safe and which isn't. Crooks are crooks because they lack the intelligence that you and I have - the way to fight them isn't by lowering yourself to their cerebral level of "bang bang", but rather to play on the fact that they are not very intelligent. If you use the same weapon that your enemy is using, how can you get ahead?

Think about it American folk......not only do you have criminals running around with guns, but you also have citizens with guns....who seem to now be in some sort-of "turf war" with the criminals. "Bad guys" shooting, "good guys" shooting........it's just too much!!! It IS scary!!

Quick question - don't the alarms on the 944's disable the car from being started? If so, what are we all so worried about?

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 10-08-2003, 12:38 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quick question - don't the alarms on the 944's disable the car from being started? If so, what are we all so worried about?

The cost of a broken window and a punched out ignition is enough to total must of our cars.

I don't think must of us are saying that a stolen car is worth someones life.
I think it's more of just being tired of punk kids doing whatever they want.

I had a mazda truck that was broken into 3 times in 8 years. I live in a vary low crime area. Never had anything worth stealing. On average I had to pay 200 bucks to fix what they broke so they could steal an $80 radar dector.

Just the fact that it has happened so much, If I caught another puck *** doing it, I would probally smash his skull in.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

"Smash his skull in"!!!!

Now THAT is how we would do it in Canada. Maybe we feel like shooting someone is too nice for them - it's too quick and painless (if they die). We tend to want to "put a beatin' on em'" Hockey-style. Even though we are a peaceful people, we love a good ol' barfight atmosphere and "chukin' the nuckles"!!! Guns.....no - multiple punches to the face area.....a big YES!!

So, the alarm does disable the engine? Also, I'm not sure about others here, but I wouldn't junk my car over a broken window or punched-out ignition.....I would just worry about them driving it away. As long as that doesn't happen, I'm fine with it!

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 10-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, bashing someone's skull in is better than shooting them? Who should be scared now? We will export all our problematic gangsters like the Mexican mafia and the south central L. A. blood and cripps up to Canada so you can try to bash their skulls in. I believe they can give the national guards a run for their money whether guns are legal or not. Lets get real here guys. You guys in canada don't understand what we have to live with just the same way we don't understand what palestinians have to live with. Come down here and I can drive you around Watts especially during the L. A. riots so you can understand how an assult rifle can come in handy when a mob is trying to burn your house down with you in it. Try that for scary and if you think you can bust all their skulls, I ask you the question: you and whos army?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

"Crooks are crooks because they lack the intelligence that you and I have - the way to fight them isn't by lowering yourself to their cerebral level of "bang bang", but rather to play on the fact that they are not very intelligent. If you use the same weapon that your enemy is using, how can you get ahead?"

So your solution is to quote Nietzsche to them, in a hope to confuse them or something?

Consider this. Where I live the laws make it very easy to get a gun. In our cities we have a fair amount of crime, but nothing like those cities were it is illegal for a private citizen to get a gun. And our crimes are rarely violent crimes against people unkown to the criminal. We have a disturbing amount of family murders as of late (most of which are not commited with firearms), but very little muggings and the like.

As a result, I rarely, if ever, lock my car. Even downtown, and in downtown Manchester probably our highest crime rate city.

Granted we have a lower population, but if you go 15 minutes south To lowell MA, a city comparable to either Nashua or Monchester, the crime is insane. I wouldn't even consider parking my car on the street, locked or un locked. There you can't get a gun for any reason.

What you seem to misunderstand is that there is NOTHING stopping a criminal from getting a gun, but everything stopping law abiding citizens.

I don't have my guns so that I can go out and rob liqour stores.

AS to the attidudes. A lot of people are pissed of with what is going on. And we want it to stop. You don't stop criminals by being nice to them, and they don't get into an arms race with private citizens. By thier very nature they prey on the weak, and the government is mandating that many of us are weak.

A well armed society is a polite society.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Legoland951

I'm pretty sure Watts isn't the best place to walk around at night and if I had access to a gun, I would carry it around there......but that's a bit of an extreme example, no? Especially saying that you would drive me around during the LA riots....that isn't a fair representation of America, is it?

...but what about suburbia? Why does the same attitude concerning Watts flow over to suburbia in America?? THAT is what's scary, not the actual acts of crime or amount of guns. It's the paranoia and fear of your neighbour that scares me!

We have around the same amount (proportionally) of crime as the US. But why don't we feel the need to protect ourselves so much? I don't even lock my door for crying out loud!!! I'd say it's because we are not living in fear like Americans.

You said we Canadians don't understand what you have to live with. You do realize Canada is just above you, right? You do realize Canadians watch the same news programs, TV shows, eat the same food, etc, etc as Americans, right? I think we have a pretty good "feel" for what it's like. It's not like Canada is Morraco or something - all we are is unarmed Americans with Health Care, who don't live in fear.

I guess that is why this tread is really scary.....we are soooo much alike, but ya'll seem to have this whole "get em' before they get you" attitude. You kinda act like Canadians......Canadians on Acid, who are so paranoid that someone is out to get them that they lose the peace that should live inside them.

You asked "who's army" would help me bash the heads in of all these gangs and mobs - you say that like there is no cure for that problem, other than citizens having their own guns. Well, speaking of Army's (by the way, I LOVE their new Marketfresh sandwiches), doesn't the US have like the world's best Army? Ever think of using them to rid America of all these things that cause citizens to feel the need to arm themselves? Maybe if the US Army was actually on their own soil, those gangs and such wouldn't exist, no? Makes sense to me....you all should check into that one. I bet the US military would have no problems bustin' the skulls of these gangs and mobs that threaten the American people.

I guess I just do not, nor will I ever get how Americans can say Terror has to be stopped by killing "Terrorists" and attacking Saddam, but the real problem with America is never dealt with. Seriously......, why is that???

Jeff (944S Boyeee)

Quick Reply: Prelude to a car theft?