Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prelude to a car theft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:24 PM
James86-951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input about the car. It confirmed my concerns. I think I will retire it for the winter. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't we all just get along?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by aribop
Can't we all just get along?
Not when your trying to steal my Porsche.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a guy get out of his car last night and start walking back towards me. Traffic was heavy and I had no idea what he wanted. He actually was running.

Didn't have a gun to pull on him, and I guess that was a lucky thing.....he only wanted to bum a smoke. Man, it would have sucked if I shot a guy over a ciggy!!!

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 10-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Smoking does kill you know, so it would have been his fault. It says so right on the label.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:32 PM
hrk
Instructor

I work in the same area, in fact I think I saw you yesterday going, or more like waiting to go east on Mc Ginnis Ferry.

I cannot believe anybody would like to steal the oldest vehicle in office parking lot. At least mine would be in this lot. There are so many more expensive trucks and SUVs around.

hrk
Old 10-07-2003, 04:42 PM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Is it just me or are 944's really still that attractive to a car thief ?

Apart from the horrible feeling of returning to am empty parking space, the next lump in the throat is the phone call to the insurance office !!

I say we should develop a device like this....

Basic hand grenade strapped to the underside of the drivers floor, pin left in, length of string between pin and driveshaft.

Disconnect string everytime you drive, engage string whilst tying up your shoelace everytime you get out of the car.

At least your car gets onto the evening news if someone nic's it, and it's 1 less muppet to worry about.

I have also heard from some friends in South africa that they have flame throwers under their cars to prevent carjacking at traffic lights !! mobile BBQ?

John
Alpine White 1988 NA
Old 10-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

If the guy was marking you, sounds like a dumb *** thief to me since he let you get a good look at him, plus a tag number.

On the South Africa car jacking thing, Car & Driver did a story on that earlier this year. Talk about wild. Some of the car chase descriptions sounded like something out of a movie. Car jacking is quite an industry down there.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:09 PM
James86-951
Pro

There's a 944S in the bldg next door. I have also seen a red 951 with gold BBS' running around. I had to sit at that light for 15 min without moving. (YUCK) They are at least paving now and not continuing to rip up the road. That's the main reason why I started driving the Honda again.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally posted by johnjcoyle
Is it just me or are 944's really still that attractive to a car thief ?

Apart from the horrible feeling of returning to am empty parking space, the next lump in the throat is the phone call to the insurance office !!
I agree, I can't figure out why mine was considered attractive to the thiefs. Too many parts cars around.

Trust me, no lump in the throat when I called the insurance office. More like a WTF, here we go on a magical ride journey only a proctologist would appreciate.

But after all is settled, it doesnt really hurt to sit down.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:30 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

The only reason I can think of these cars being attractive to thieves is the "Porsche" crest on the hood. Too many people assume that they are $40k+ cars, so there are probably enough clueless thieves out there thinking they are about to score big...

BB.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, I wander if some of you guys are for real. Let me see, argue with the insurance company to pay for a stolen car or killing someone? I also wander if anyone ever had to kill anyone before or even stared down the wrong end of the barrel of a .45 acp. I believe there is no way to prevent a preemptive attack on you by someone stalking you. They can stick a gun with an easily made silencer to your head as you walk out of your office or home and shoot you to get the keys to your car. Also, I saw a car at the auction that was the victim of a car jacking. The guy thought he had himself well defended with a gun but did not realize there was another guy behind the car. Have you ever smelled rotten brain matter splattered? Once you smelled death, you will never forget. It reaks for months after it dries up. Don't let it be you. This is why we pay for insurance.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:34 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

I prefer the Sig Sauer P229. I have had to have it ready a couple of times when I felt I was being threatend. The things to remember are to protect yourself to the extent the law will allow. At least in Oklahoma you cannot defend personal property. I currently have a dent in my roof from a Road Rage expierence where the guy jumped out of his car yelling at me. Since I did not respond or even make eye contact with him, he hit my roof with his fist. I am still not certain if he saw the 9mm sitting in my lap when he arrived. Either way, I did nothing to provoke the situation further and even after he hit my car I did nothing. I simply manouvered behind him at the next intersection, took down his License plate number and called the police. I then tracked down his name, address and phone number, called him to further discuss the situation. I then sent him a certified letter with pictures of the damage and a repair estimate and asked him to pay for the damage to the car. His wife being the more sensable of the two instructed him to pay for the damage and let the whole thing go away. Otherwise he would have been prosecuted for Road Rage and I would have sued him in Court.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:47 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

What I'm about to say will probably draw some flames, and it's not my intent to start a flame war. I'm just making an observation...

My only problem with people defending their property with force is that not enough people are doing it. We have become a society that has been programmed to "do what the bad man says." Someone mugs you? Give them your wallet. They break into your house? Give them your TV. Hell, entire airplane-loads of people will surrender to a guy with a box cutter because we are supposed to "do what the bad man says." Because of that, it makes it very easy for criminals to continue doing what they are doing because they know that odds are, they'll get what they want without a fight.

A month or two ago, a resident of a Maryland apartment complex who was tired of all of the car thefts decided to fight back when someone tried to steal his car. He killed one thief, wounded another. Excessive? Maybe... But I guarantee that the cars in that complex are going to be safe for a while...

Now, I'm not saying that we should start shooting everyone, nor am I some pro-NRA whack job. I just can't help but think that if the bad guy realizes that we aren't going to do what he says and that we are going to fight back, they may very well be less likely to try and steal something. I see it as a simple issue of "deterrance".

I'm not saying that this is the best way, or that it doesn't have it's flaws. I just can't help but think that I wouldn't try and take something from someone pointing a gun at me, even if I had one trained on him. I'm inclined to believe that a lot of thieves will feel that way, too...

Again, not trying to start a flame war. I'm just speaking my mind...

BB.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I say chop his hands off like in Iraq. Its more fitting of a punishment than to kill them. I hate thieves but if we don't like the laws, change them. Its the reason I vote. And, what's wrong with being in the NRA? I think even more should be done to protect our right to bear arms but I still don't think I agree with killing someone for trying to take my car.

Quick Reply: Prelude to a car theft?