Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I Accept !4,000 for my stolen S2?
Who Cares
10.00%
Grab It You Are Making Out Like A Bandit
74.00%
Fight The Skunks And Go To Arbitration
16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

So, Should I Accept This Offer And Close The Book?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
Wink So, Should I Accept This Offer And Close The Book?

Guess I got closing the book on my mind this week.

The adjuster got the head of the department involved today. While the adjuster insulated the department head from me, she did say he is very knowledgeable about cars, and has the CPI guide.

I said I have that and the SCM guide which lists all three years as between 11 and 14 for high three S2s. She said that book won’t work. so I asked her why anything in my favor is no good but trying to pawn a fright pig off as substantially similar is ok.

She the said she wanted to settle the claim, and they came up to 10.8. I told her one of my actual cars (Andy’s) came in at 17.2, I offered to split it. She came back low, I said I have nothing to lose.

She left a message that they want to offer me 14000, which is 15225 after tax or 15025 after deductible.

Should I accept it, or push for more?

BTW just after I got her offer I got a full copy of the law from NYS. Here is the definition of substantially similar.

“A vehicle of the same make, model, year and condition, including all major options of the insured vehicle. Mileage must not exceed that of the insured vehicle by more then 4,000 miles or 10% of the mileage on the vehicle at the date of loss whichever is greater."

Isn’t it great when the law is on your side!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:31 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 14k is a fair amount. It's all you could have hoped to sell your car for, if you ever wanted to do that.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt mind someone handing me $14k
Old 10-02-2003, 06:36 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Take the 14k. Its sounds like a fair deal.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much are you trying to get? Personally, I would hold out. It is nice to have the upper hand, which you do. If you are talking about 1000 bucks, then maybe not but more than that, make 'em sweat, you are not bound to take their offer! You will still be hard pressed to get your money for the repairs EXCEPT that it will be hard to find one similar to it.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:37 PM
kwh29
Intermediate

You're not making out like a bandit but I'd be tempted to take the offer. Getting much more will be a _lot_ more time and expense for you and the incremental increase in payout likely won't be worth it.

I would try to get them to sign a statement that they recognize that you are accepting their offer under duress. (Need the money to get your finances in order, taking loss to keep from getting seriously hurt, etc...) That way, if a class action suit against the company ever appears you'll have a leg up on the other defendants.

Good luck,
--Kevin H.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Is Andy's car at 17.2 similar (according to the NY definition you posted) to yours?
Does that law (or another) some how let you assign the value of his car to yours, and if so is that the sale price, the appraised value, etc? I doubt they'd let you assign his sale price as your car's value, since you could get a friend to buy a '78 pacer from another friend for "$50k" then use that to claim they owe you $50k for your pacer.
If that law supports you getting 17.2, then call them back, mention the law (and your profession if they don't know it already), tell them you want 17.2 (maybe more to cover your annoyance?) and they have a day (or whatever) to say yes or no, no counter offer.
If there's a significant chance that your claim will prevail in court, they'll give you the extra $3k. Insurance companies always play the odds.

Either way, $14k is much better than when you first posted about this.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:51 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Take it. In the real world market today, you should be able to find another, spruce it up to your standards, and maybe have money left over. Regards Al
Old 10-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Not that you're making out, but isn't that closer to what you were looking for? IIRC they offered 8500 or some insane low amount first. If that is the case and they're up to 14K, I'd take it.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:00 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

SOrry I would fight it some more. You got this far, its not like they are going to threaten you less if you keep persuing more money. Make them understand what older exotic cars are worth these days. I say keep going.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by kwh29
You're not making out like a bandit but I'd be tempted to take the offer. Getting much more will be a _lot_ more time and expense for you and the incremental increase in payout likely won't be worth it.
Pretty much sums up my outlook on it.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:07 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally posted by kwh29

Good luck,
--Kevin H.
If you have time whocares? What expenses are you talking about?? Gas money to go back and forth to the insurance office??
Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Time is money. How much time will it take to bump them up vs how much more $ will you get in the end? That's the equation.

The insurance company will always lowball first, to test if you'll let them get away with it. Now that they've thrown a more reasonable number out there, getting any more may be like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

Some people would pass on the aggravation. Since Tom's an attorney, he probably thrives on it. It's your call Tom. You can probably squeeze a little more out of them, but you may be looking at end game soon. I've gotten lost in these threads as to what you want dollar-wise from them.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I vote twice to raise one of the percentages?

Tifo
Old 10-02-2003, 08:12 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Whos to say the $14,000 figure wont be retracted. Just playing Devils Advocate, but if I were them, if you refuse $14,000 who's to say Im going to leave that offer on the table? I might tell you take it or leave it pal. If they have any sense to them, they arent going to let you play that card and give you the upper hand and just let you sit around for two weeks deciding if that dollar amount is satisfactory while you plan your next move.

Then again, insurance people are stupid, so nothing would honestly surprise me.

Also reading that NY statute on "substantially similar", it makes references to options, but aftermarket items are not options. They are just that, aftermarket. Lawyers specifically write legal jargon with backdoors and loopholes to serve lawyers, not the people they represent. Were I them, I would say we were insuring your car with the factory options and no one ever told us you have all this other stuff on the car. Maybe you did tell them I dont know. But your premium would have needed to reflect it.

You have to consider if they are going to go any higher than $14,000 and have come as far as they will budge. I guarantee you if you have to go to an arbitrator or court of law, the insurance company will start negotiating once again at the $10,000 number, not $14,000.

Actually Im on your side in this, Im just trying to tell you what Id say if I were them.

Quick Reply: So, Should I Accept This Offer And Close The Book?