Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 SE

I have found and am tempted by an 1988 924 SE. Has the usual interior wear due to thin interior. Oddly it does have a sunroof. Certainly not a perfect car but low mileage and driven currently. 66K mile,timing belt/water pump 14 K ago. Dash cracked of course. Is new upholstery available? What would be a good price to offer?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They don't get much Porsche Luv so I would only buy it cuz i liked it. I've had two, one I turned into a race car and the other went to a friend. I was told the original gray/red cloth interior can be sourced in Germany but its a fortune. I'd say $4000+ would be fair depending on the condition of the paint & body. The sun roof is not that odd as it was a popular option. Does it have the dash medallion and only the drivers door rear view mirror?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

These are pretty special cars really, and have an ardent following amongst those who truly appreciate them for what they are. They were made early in the 1988 model year run, most in mid to late '87 along with the Jubilee/Celebration 944 and 911.

Interiors to all these were special fabrics, the 911 carrying either smooth or pleated leather with a Ferry Porsche signature, the 944 carrying a grey plaid wool/polyester blend with silver plush carpet.

All models were made in limited numbers; the 924 SE is the smallest if you discount the fact the 944s were made in Zermatt (250) and Satin Black Metallic (250).

The 924 SE had crank windows, one Scirroco manual driver's mirror, and were to come with the smooth top or non sunroof body; initially to be built for a US only race series which became stillborn in it's infancy for the U.S. utilizing this special body with the lightweight accoutrements, light cloth seating faces, lighter carpeting. They were all solid black on the exterior. They were also to be made available with LSD and sport suspensions, with heavy duty sway bars front and rear. I am not sure this was strictly adhered to, as some sunroof cars are known and some without the LSD are also known.....

I think they are a very underappreciated and often times ignored model. All the Jubilees and SE cars had the special medallions which were fitted in the cup holder outlines in the glove box door and often went missing early in their lives.
Try finding one today. They are expensive and nearly un obtainable to those who have the few cars left remaining. It seems like a lot of the 924s and 944s were lost to attrition; the 911s were maybe more sought after for their collectability because they had the special color exterior, interior with the signature seats, along with the color matched FUCHS which maybe alerted more folks to their special-ness.

My advice ? Buy it, love it, appreciate it. If needed, get the special cloth interior fabric in burgundy from Germany and preserve it for the future, enjoying it for what it is.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

This is the dash medallion that came on 1988 SE's. It was designed to be engraved with the owners name. The 1988 924S base price was $23,100 with no additional charge for the SE option, which included "Custom Seats and Carpets, Sport Handling Package, Rear Stone Deflectors 7Jx15 Rear Wheel Rims & Protective Side Moldings". Two popular options were the Charleston Radio, $543 and the "Removable Top" at $965. Total price for mine was $25526, which included prep and destination charges.

Name:  WP_20160102_004.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  107.5 KB
Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Name:  WP_20160102_007.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  153.5 KB

Here's a section of the original window sticker from my car.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

It's a 924s. Much better than a 944. Buy it. However, should you feel the need to have additional reasons, you can start here: http://flussigmagazine.com/1/post/20...l-edition.html

Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I forgot to mention, altho the 951 made in Silberossa or Silver Rose also carried a burgundy colored interior, it was plaid like the Jubilee/ Celebration 944 cars. These '88.2 model 951s were not part of the celebration commemorating the 250,000th - 911 built and the 100,000th 944, simultaneously occurring with the model year 1988 S.E. 924S. Those came later in the year and were the same as the later appearing M030 in '89 known again as just the turbo, but having the 247 hp code 44/52 engines; thus these Silberossas are labeled as model: '88.2 and carry a separate code for their unique designation. It is coincidence they were model year '88s and had unique paint, trim, fabric: marketing at it's finest.

European models go by the year they are made, so since these special "Celebration" cars were built in '87, they are referred to in Europe as '87s; even the medallion is dated '87, wherein the units for North America are '88 models and the medallions carry no date on them. I have not seen any dates on any NA Jubilees or S.E.s which are built later than November '87. My '88 -944 Jubilee was built in July '88 and carries the #757 code denoting the special build. The 911s and 944s had 'upmarket' options like color matched FUCHS, staggered wheels, or unique option packages; the SE 924 had it's uniqueness in decontenting ( single ltwt. mirror, sunroof and air-con delete, ltwt. carpet and seat fabric ), but including on most cars sold LSD and sport suspension, M030, and hd anti-sway bars.

ALL these cars are special and unique and commemorate a great milestone in Porsche's history. Porsche published unique advertising dealer brochures ( rare today ) with ALL 3 models included in that grouping showing their inclusion collectively as part of their Jubilee/Celebration. Keep your eyes peeled for them, but expect to pay as dearly as the medallion.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Some great info there mrgreenjeans.

Have a question, seems like you know your stuff. I'm running a pair of turbo cup mirrors on my car and was told they were off a 924SE. They don't have adjusters and I have both driver and passenger sides. If the SE only came with 1 mirror, mine must be real turbo cup mirrors? Did the 944 celebration edition have a pair of the plastic mirrors?

Back on topic, I'd say offer 3 or 4k and go from there, I agree with the Chris. They are a cool special edition car but that doesn't mean they're worth much more than a standard 924S in the current market.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:16 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Butters944
Have a question, seems like you know your stuff. I'm running a pair of turbo cup mirrors on my car and was told they were off a 924SE. They don't have adjusters and I have both driver and passenger sides. If the SE only came with 1 mirror, mine must be real turbo cup mirrors? Did the 944 celebration edition have a pair of the plastic mirrors?
944 celebration came with the standard electric mirrors Porsche used on most models of the era.

I recall seeing a few 924SE's with both mirrors, perhaps it was optional. Or maybe just aftermarket.

I don't remember if the 924SE mirrors have manual adjusters fed inside.

Mrgreenjeans probably knows!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:30 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

No Turbo cup mirrors ever came on an SE.

These SE models only had the manual adjustable plastic Scirroco mirror off that particular VW. That is all. And just on the driver side of the car. Many owners bought another one over the parts counter for the other side of the door. They only moved manually at the head of the mirror. Like a cheap a/m dime store mirror like I bought for my old winter beater pickup for about 2.95...... From Porsche the SE mirror probably had a zero in that number, maybe two (-;

These also came with window cranks for the windows and NO power window options as far as known. There may be some today as many changes have been made with door card switchouts and the like, but as far as advertised in '88, the windows were non powered, the seats manual, the door mirror manual, and aircon was a deleted item as was the power sunroof. The last two could be added back in for added cost. The cars which came to our dealership had NONE of these options and even had the rear decal delete. They were both hard to sell with no aircon and no sunroof even in the northern hemisphere where summers are short. Buyer resistance was firm and they were deeply discounted to move nearly a year later...... ( just a few short years earlier, folks were lined up twenty deep on lists lasting for over a year and paid over MSRP to get their cars. NUTS. What goes around comes around. )

ALL 944 Jubilee/ Celebration cars sold in North America came with the regular seen 'flag style' power door mirror. Painted Satin Black Met. or Zermatt Silver only. So did the 911s which were available in Coupe, Cab, and Targa body styles and ONLY came in Diamond Blue Metallic paint with matching interior and FUCHS wheels with color match centers. Any thing else is non-o.e. This is according to the official Dealer supplement/advertisement given at the dealership as handouts to prospective clients. It is a 4 page color handout and as noted before, very VERY rare. If you have one, they are going for well over 150 bucks from sellers of collectible literature. Maybe more if the piece is in crisp, straight, and in unmarked condition.

And, yes the official color for the SE was solid black, but a few have been found in white and red ? (rumour) as well. These last two may have been 'special wish' paints for certain dealers or buyers...... but the ad ONLY lists solid black with 7 inch Phone dials in silver as the only color available. With the burgundy red cloth interior. ONLY.

The only thing I wish to add to this is the numbering of the cars. A firm number has been published for each of the 911s made, but there is some rumored discrepancies concerning the numbers made for North America in the SE and in both colors of the 944. Some have suggested far less of both the solid black 924 and the black metallic 944 were made. Porsche stated NO MORE than 2 thousand cars would be made collectively, seemingly from those known to been made in the 911 , would make the thought that less than 500 black SEs and 250 Black met. 944s were made. Yes, the silver 944s do seem to be more abundant than the blacks appearing on the registry sites. I have even heard from one source that altho 500 were to been made for the 924 SE, as low as 118 made it out the door before it was shut down........ The SCCA which was going to host the series for these special SE cars, could not find support nor agreement among themselves and Porsche ceased building the car and did not resume. So this 500 figure may be optimistic at best, making them far less numerous/uncommon than once thought.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 01-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
No Turbo cup mirrors ever came on an SE.

These SE models only had the manual adjustable plastic Scirroco mirror off that particular VW. That is all. And just on the driver side of the car. Many owners bought another one over the parts counter for the other side of the door. They only moved manually at the head of the mirror.
This can't be right. The side mirrors on the 924SE and on turbo cup cars were the same ones with different adjustments. VW made a mirror that was almost identical but it had a different base that won't fit a 944 series car. This one here

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/1988-porsche-924s-special-edition/

has 2 mirrors and I've seen other examples as well (look up user Ian on here). I know for a fact they had manual adjustment ***** on the interior door panels. Maybe Porsche changed at some point in production from 1 to 2 mirrors?

Picture of 924SE interior, manual adjustment **** seen on the door panel:

Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Butters944
This can't be right. The side mirrors on the 924SE and on turbo cup cars were the same ones with different adjustments. VW made a mirror that was almost identical but it had a different base that won't fit a 944 series car. This one here

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/198...ecial-edition/

has 2 mirrors and I've seen other examples as well (look up user Ian on here). I know for a fact they had manual adjustment ***** on the interior door panels. Maybe Porsche changed at some point in production from 1 to 2 mirrors?

Picture of 924SE interior, manual adjustment **** seen on the door panel:

I have the salesman's Porsche Fact Book for 1988 along with the salesman's code book for 1988 models. I don't see any mention of an option for a passenger side mirror so the one in your photo is very interesting. Also, AC was standard for 924's including the SE's, there's no code for AC delete.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:04 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about getting another 924S. According to the Peter Morgan book, Original Porsche 924/9444/968 the ROW versions were called LeMans versions which were either painted white with gold accented phone dials or black with turquoise accented phone dials. All the SE versions that I have seen are black with maroon carpet and gray pinstripe interiors. I've seen both manual and automatic transmission versions. Here are couple..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1218512...466&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Porsche...25.m3641.l6368

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5334539145.html
Old 01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Chris:

What dealership was that salesman/dealer order out from ? Does it show anywhere in the front cover ?

Interesting note here regarding 'dealer orders'. A dealership in the know or with close ties with the Porsche factory could get anything they wanted. All they had to do was make contact with their guy in Germany and it got done.
The dealership I ordered out my Weissach prepped 944 in '84 was one of those dealers. The owner of that particular franchise store ordered out two of them, a red and a white 944 with a whole host of special ordered items.
The 944 normal I have that used to belong to an older fellow from the Chicago area also had an in with his guy. He wanted a delete special, with a wide array of deleted items such as stereo, power mirrors, sound deadener, insulation, gas lock, cigar lighter, rear privacy shade, foglites, rear wiper, console, sunroof. He wanted the car as a unique, lightweight 'driver's instructor' car for his track days as he was a PCA instructor. I bought it out of New Mexico after he decided to rid himself of a few sports cars.

He kept his 908 though.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:50 PM
zoomie50
Instructor

Interested but sure would like to know where I could get the material to redo the seat. BTW Mr GJ Red River Valley? I grew up in Fargo

Quick Reply: 924 SE