Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whine after water pump and belts job

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:35 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine after water pump and belts job

So my cars running good no overheating problems anymore, but I have an extremely loud whine coming from my engine makes it sounds like I have a supercharger. It'd be cool if that was the fact and had the hp to prove it but it's actually really annoying any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:36 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

And is there a break in time period for the timing belt before I can get on the throttle on the freeway?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

belts are too tight....

they won't require retensioning at 1500 miles if you leave all as is.

but, don't be surprised if the H20 pump fails quite a bit sooner than normal.

all the other rolling stock may be good and worn by then too.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Balance shaft belt is too tight, loosen it up some and it will die down.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:58 PM
CliveB
Intermediate

Default Similar issue

Recently had my belts changed but I declined to have the idlers changed as the mileage was low since the last change. After the job I have the same whine until the engine gets hot. Is this the same problem of tight belts?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the position of the idler pulley for the balance shaft belt. There should be no preload on the belt, i forget the spec but i think you should be able to stick a .5mm feeler gauge inbetween the belt and idler.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:10 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Mine whines all the time
Old 12-24-2015, 11:11 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Like at every rpm but I'm gonna loosen it soon but it's the holidays, btw merry Christmas to everyone
Old 12-25-2015, 05:51 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Merry Christmas, I adjust them while the engines running with the front belts off and the front covers off. I'm just very carful, like the kids game operation. You can hear the whine disappear when you loosen the belt if it's too tight and whine again when it's to loose. There is a happy spot in the middle. If you trust your hands and are able to have good working access to the tensioner then you might want to try that method. Just don't mess up and blame it on me when I warned you to be carful. But do it soon because the rollers and belt are being prematurely worn from the tight tension belt. Don't try that method with the TB! You'll have to lossen it and take a guess if you don't have a Gauge. I use a cricket pocket belt tensioner gauge to just give me an idea of how tight I have the belt.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Merry Christmas, I adjust them while the engines running with the front belts off and the front covers off. I'm just very carful, like the kids game operation. You can hear the whine disappear when you loosen the belt if it's too tight and whine again when it's to loose. There is a happy spot in the middle. If you trust your hands and are able to have good working access to the tensioner then you might want to try that method. Just don't mess up and blame it on me when I warned you to be carful. But do it soon because the rollers and belt are being prematurely worn from the tight tension belt. Don't try that method with the TB! You'll have to lossen it and take a guess if you don't have a Gauge. I use a cricket pocket belt tensioner gauge to just give me an idea of how tight I have the belt.
I do the same thing, and have been called nuts by more than one person for adjusting the tension with the car idling. I overtension just a bit, start it up and then back it off till it juuuust stops whining.

You just need a surgeon's hand. Steady as she goes.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:08 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CliveB
Recently had my belts changed but I declined to have the idlers changed as the mileage was low since the last change. After the job I have the same whine until the engine gets hot. Is this the same problem of tight belts?
So i also get this. Quite 'whiney' when cold, but after the car/engine warms up it quiets down. (I did recently install new belts). Does this (gets better as it warms up) suggest either too tight or too loose? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

This is the internet, if you get responses that the whining when cold means the belt is too tight, too loose, or some of each what would you believe? I suggest tensioning the belts by one of the many proven methods and then you'll know it is correct.

Normally I believe the belt gets tighter when the engine heats up and expands but too-loose belts make more of a flapping sounds unless maybe they start hitting one of the extra rollers, then god knows. No way would I ever live with any odd valvetrain noise, I say fix it or buy a bus pass.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
Balance shaft belt is too tight, loosen it up some and it will die down.
+1

It will whine near the upper end of the factory range (or above).
Old 12-25-2015, 08:20 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
+1 It will whine near the upper end of the factory range (or above).
what do u mean by upper factory range?
Old 12-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by chanothemekhanik
what do u mean by upper factory range?
Factory tension spec is 3.5 +/- .5, but anything north of about 3.6 (or so) will whine typically...

Quick Reply: Whine after water pump and belts job