Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys think this crank just needs a polish?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default You guys think this crank just needs a polish?

Have a good condition 85.5 block and crank, was wondering if you guys think I can get away with just polishing this crank and not turning it if I were to build it?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Or get this one that is factory cross drilled unit on eBay. I don't know how much cross drilling helps vs using a crank scraper with a screen for aeration reduction, but I paid $400 ten years ago to have my crankshaft cross drilled and turned one size under on the rod bearings.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
Old 12-12-2015, 08:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

gotta measure it.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
gotta measure it.
Good point Spencer. Your comment earlier to me about why not just build it lead me dust the crank off and I realized it really doesnt look too bad, so I might just build it! Would a digital caliper be sufficiently accurate to check or do I need a good micrometer?

Also do you have a pic of that oil pan you're trying to offload? You said something about a broken baffle?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

it looks like an oil pan...lol
but dirty!

the baffle that is cracked is the black plastic insert that bolts into the pan.
new ones are available. cracked baffles is a very common thing.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
it looks like an oil pan...lol
but dirty!

the baffle that is cracked is the black plastic insert that bolts into the pan.
new ones are available. cracked baffles is a very common thing.
Gotcha, I just wanted to see what baffle you were talking about but I know what you're talking about now. How much to ship it?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Pizpot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Good point Spencer. Your comment earlier to me about why not just build it lead me dust the crank off and I realized it really doesnt look too bad, so I might just build it! Would a digital caliper be sufficiently accurate to check or do I need a good micrometer?

It should really be checked with a micrometer; out-of-roundness tolerances are finer than the one-thousandth that a good vernier caliper can resolve.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

If there are no deep scores in it, just polish it. Depending on what RPM range you run, cross drilling may be a waste of $$. Chevy used to cross-drill their cranks a lot. But esp. in their "crate motors" usually for racing, they don't do it any longer, because the oil was stacking up at the back of the block at high RPM's . Talk to a performance crank grinder and see what he has to say about this. Cross drilling on #2 journal might be a good thing since those tend to go bad first.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:28 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

No scores, all the journals are smooth to the touch and look good. I was asking about the polish because though it may not be clear, there are some dark areas on some of the main journals, but again you can't feel them. Was hoping to be able to polish it at home by making some kind of jig and hitting it with some rolled up 600-100 grit soaked in oil and then toss it back into the block. The bores on the block look really decent.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 12-13-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Coming back to this, all the journals are in spec, and are concentric near as I can tell. Took some representative pictures to show the mains and rod journals.

They all feel smooth as glass, no scratches but as you can see they all have some discoloration. Should I not worry about it, or is it worth my time and money to have it polished? I'll be using new rod bearings, but the mains are getting reused from my last engine so long as they plastigauge ok since #1 they're expensive, and #2 they tend to get hardly any wear in our motors.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Doug, if you have the money take it to a good automotive machine shop and let them mic it. If it is within spec let them polish it.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Charlie said! Then you know you are OK.
Just did that with my crank.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Pictures are no substitute for sliding your finger over a surface and "feeling" it... but, judging by your pictures, I think it needs more than a polish.

All of those discolored areas in line with the oil holes are not normal... I fear that crank has seen some rough times. Perhaps some kind of debris in the oil or a limited supply of oil.

Polishing is a surface finish treatment - it doesn't really remove material. And, the the discoloring you have, and possible scratch marks, you might have to remove material so you have a good surface to polish.

Do keep in mind everything is relative. I know you have your cylinder bore issue and you're trying not to spend a lot of money... You could put this crank in and possibly get years of service and there might be some other part that is the "weakest link". The condition of the parts you start with is purely your call - I just don't want you to think that polishing a damaged crank will solve some sort of other problem.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:15 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Van
Pictures are no substitute for sliding your finger over a surface and "feeling" it... but, judging by your pictures, I think it needs more than a polish.

All of those discolored areas in line with the oil holes are not normal... I fear that crank has seen some rough times. Perhaps some kind of debris in the oil or a limited supply of oil.

Polishing is a surface finish treatment - it doesn't really remove material. And, the the discoloring you have, and possible scratch marks, you might have to remove material so you have a good surface to polish.

Do keep in mind everything is relative. I know you have your cylinder bore issue and you're trying not to spend a lot of money... You could put this crank in and possibly get years of service and there might be some other part that is the "weakest link". The condition of the parts you start with is purely your call - I just don't want you to think that polishing a damaged crank will solve some sort of other problem.
it FEELS glass smooth and all the journals mic out in spec. I guess I'll take it to the shop and let them tell me what they think, worst comes to worse I have one other spare crank.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:05 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I think it just needs polishing. Looks rough but I think it would clean nicely if the lines are not deep.

Quick Reply: You guys think this crank just needs a polish?