Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement intake pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Aussie Jase
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement intake pipe

Hi guys,

does anyone sell an aftermarket intake pipe to suit a pod filter that doesn't involve aquiring the Lindsey MAF and tune kit or similar? I have no interest in making more power out of the car but want to relocate the filter. This is for a track only car where the stock horsepower is more than enough and reliability is .everything

If it's too pricey I'll just knock one up myself. Might be a good excuse to improve my welding
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

There is a large aftermarket company over here called K&N. they make racing and non-racing filters for every shape and kind of car or light truck. From what I have seen at the SEMA shows, they outperform other filters on the amount of air drawn through them. Ducting could be accomplished with PVC pipe/tubing for a smooth intake pipe itself. Another company, Specter or Spectre, sells a lot of silicone connectors with clamps for various diameters of arrangements. Hope this helps some.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Aussie Jase
Intermediate

Cheers Tiger, but what I'm after is a complete replacement pipe for the turbo inlet including the barbs, return valve etc to get rid of the plastic pipe. Will look at Specter

As you can see, slapping the pod filter on the end of the OEM plastic intake is far from ideal. I've seen the Lindsey and Broadfoot items but they seem to include an aftermarket MAF which I'm not interested in.

BTW, I am "over here"
Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be worried about locating the pod in the engine compartment, i hate the idea of pulling hot air vs getting cool air from the fender or front header area. Keep this in mind if you roll your own.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:10 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

What about flipping it so it draws from the driver side wheel well like the NA? You could probably rig something without having to fabricate.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
What about flipping it so it draws from the driver side wheel well like the NA? You could probably rig something without having to fabricate.
It would help, i think you would want asheetmetal (or plastic) box to help seal it off from the rest of the engine compartment and from the water that gets into that area.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Aussie Jase
Intermediate

It will be shielded and behind the headlight with a duct of some sort, lots of heat sheilding will be applied to this build.
Doesn't seem like anything is off the shelf, no biggie. Thinking of getting the intake pipe fabbed up when it's getting the cage alterations
Old 12-04-2015, 03:04 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something like this?

The longer pipe is a replacement for the intercooler to throttle body pipe because the factory pipe will not fit if you relocate the AFM like this.

The second pipe(the shorter one) is an adapter I built to transition down from the 3" AFM output diameter to the 2" turbo intake diameter.

I cut down and connected two exhaust pipe adapters to build it. I started with a 3" OD to 2 1/2" OD transition pipe and then slid that into a 2 1/2" ID to 2" OD pipe. I then used a short piece of 2" ID high temp reinforced silicone to go from the piece I made to the turbo intake. I used JB weld to smooth the transitions inside the pipes hoping that would help with the air flow.

I don't have the exact dimensions(I sold this several years ago) but it is pretty short. There is not a lot of room to work with once you move the AFM into this area. Changing the alternator to a smaller unit would help A LOT.
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not use the factory set up but modify the snorkel from the air filter box to the fender well area. Sure the AFM is a barn door style, but it has to pull air thru a stock restricted snorkel pipe. Cut the snorkel restricted part off and replace it with a bigger pipe and run it to the fender well like the stock unit does. That way cold air is still introduced and the only part that would be modded would be the snorkel pipe. Also make sure the 3 bolts inside the air box are secure with locktite, my first 951 ate one of those bolts after backing out and going thru the AFM and turned my turbo impeller into a smooth cone.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 PM
GL924s1988
Intermediate

the AFM seems similar to the one I had in my 88 BMW 325i . they make adapter plates you can get off ebay for about 10 bucks f, for the 10 buck it might be worth the shot and if it doest quit fit im sure you could do some slight modifications
Old 12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The adapter plates allow you to run a cone filter where the factory air box is located. That is a bad idea. The cone filter would be sucking air right behind the radiator. Hot intake air = bad idea.

I have an adapter plate on the front of my AFM in the first picture. It works because I relocated the AFM so the cone filter is right next to the fender air intake hole.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:53 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GL924s1988
the AFM seems similar to the one I had in my 88 BMW 325i . they make adapter plates you can get off ebay for about 10 bucks f, for the 10 buck it might be worth the shot and if it doest quit fit im sure you could do some slight modifications
I can confirm they are the same dimensions. I'm running one intended for an E30 as part of my AFM delete tube. You can see it (silver) bolted to the airbox in my avatar pic.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a track car, can you take out your headlights? That way you can leave everything as it is, and have the cone filter sitting where the headlight motor was and run a pipe from there to the AFM in it's stock location. While it does lengthen the intake, it is better than what you have now and is easy to make.

Quick Reply: Replacement intake pipe