Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Mine44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake job

Need to do a brake job on my '83 N/A... anybody recommend a specific brand? Also, how much of a PITA is it to do-it-yerself? How much should I look at spending for doing myself vs. going to a shop?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2003, 12:55 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

If you have never done a brake job before it may take you a while. Brakes are not as difficult as shops make it out to be. The NA cars are a little more difficult than the turbos but still can be completed in less than an hour.

What you will need.

New Brake Pads,
New or Turned Rotors
Brake Fluid
A friend to help bleed brakes, or Speed Bleeders
Time

Now, we can talk brake pads. If you are not an agressive driver and you do not participate in DE or track events, then the OE replacement pads will be fine. Otherwise there are performance pads such as Hawk, Porterfield, EBC and others. Performance pads will usually cost double OE pads.

Here is a link to factory Pads and Rotors.
http://www.944racing.com/Search/View...earchType=Main

Brake Fluid.

Speed Bleeders

I find these a must for bleeding brakes. Not only do they make the job easier, it also takes less fluid to bleed the brakes.

If you take it to a shop, don't go to Midas or any other of the National Chains. They will install lesser quailty parts charge you more for them and not do a very complete job. While some locations may be better than others, I have heard and seen too many bad experiences with those chains. Find a good Porsche mechanic that you can trust.

If you are at all mechanically inclined I would suggest doing it yourself. Not only will you save some $$ you will also have a feeling of pride and accomplishment and a greater appreciation for you car.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mintex OEM in the fronts stop me just fine, and last a long time (Off the track!)
I picked up a set of Mintex for the rears a few months ago- but the new rotors and calipers have Pagid's on them- (Going on today!)I' gonna run the Pagid's for the winter to really see the difference when I swap them in the spring..
Old 09-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Great Info! What tools does one need to rebuilt the brakes if they are of the car??? Thanks!!!
Vlad.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:49 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuild the "brakes"? do you mean the calipers? Just normal tools you should have laying around.

I used Mintex pads also and they are quite nice, grab great and don't dust up the wheels too bad. Unfortunetly, Robby C. informed me that Mintex no longer makes the front pads for the 951S but they do for an '83 NA.

The brake engineers don't like the idea of turning rotors at all. Has do do with grain structure among other things. So if you are anywhere close to minimum thickness, get new rotors. Zimmerman makes the rotors for Porsche but apparently cherry picks the best ones to put in Porsche boxes. So if you can find a mail order place that is selling them in Porsche boxes for cheap, that is where you want to do business.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

sorry if my Q was kind of confusing. I have My old calipers off the car, i'm changing my rotors with new OEM units. I was wondering about what tools are needed in order to rebuilt the old brake calipers and where do i begin?
Thanks!
Vlad.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:46 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to find the seal kit. Guess I would call up Brembo (I think they have an office in California) and ask them who sells them to end users. If your pistons and the "tunnels" they run in aren't corroded too bad, then you are in great shape.

I believe Porsche specified different piston material, like bronze ?, if you need to replace them. So the standard Brembo piston material won't be as good as the Porsche specified product.

Then do an internet search on rebuilding brake calpiers. It isn't all that hard, actually pretty easy as far as these cars go.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Thanks Ice Shark!!
I've bought calliper rebuilt kits from paragon products. i'm lacking knowledge in many areas of car mechanics, a year ago i couldn't change my oil At least this learning process will be fun in some sense
Vlad.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

WHoa!!! I just rebuilt my brake caliper with all new seals and everything that came in the kit. With any previous skill it took me around 1.5 hour.
This is a really easy job compared to changing the motor mounts... hell it's even easier than flushing coolant Thanks for the info!!!
Vlad.

Quick Reply: Brake job