Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a 944 after XX years

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM
KY91C2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a 944 after XX years

Hi all!

New to rennlist here. Looking forward to any help you all can give me to get my 944 running again.

Anyway, the first car I bought out of college was a 85.5 944 NA, purchased in 1991. I drove it for many years, then life happened. Fast forward to today. The car has not been started in what I estimate to be 8 years. So it is time for a project with my family.

I first would like to see if I can get the engine started before I start tearing her apart (I know that most things are going to need replaced).

What are the things that I should do in preparation to try and start the car?

Thanks for the help, and I am sure as we get this project started, I will have many more questions.

Ron
Old 10-10-2015, 06:29 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drain and flush all fluids, oil's, coolant, and gas with cheap fluids. Replace timing and balance shaft belt's. Replace all filters. Replace the battery and let her rip. After running for a good hour, change all the fluid's again with quality stuff. Replace fuel filter again after 5-10 hours of running.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:14 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't be surprised to see oil dripping out the bottom after a short while. The old rubber seals will have taken a "set" from inactivity and old age. If you really want to do this right, while you're in there doing the belts, do all the front seals from crank to camshaft. Or you can wait and see and possibly have to do it all again. Also I'd invest a few bucks in a silicone vacuum line kit and then you can rule out any possible vacuum leaks going forward. Glad to hear that you're resurrecting an old 944. They're great cars that deserve to be enjoyed and not canibalized for parts.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

After doing the above mentioned things:

I would take out the spark plugs, and put a little bit of engine oil into each cylinder. Then turn over the engine by hand a few times. If everything feels ok, then I would use the starter to try to build oil pressure. If that works, then put back in the spark plugs.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 PM
KY91C2
AutoX

Thanks for the tips everyone! Next is to procure the pieces. I suspect that this will be a long project!

Here is a photo of the project 944...
Old 10-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Printer Mike
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ron -

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but I have a very similar story. Maybe we can compare notes and results.

I have a 1984 944 that I bought in 1993 with 41k miles. Same story, drove it regularly for years then “life happened”. Kids, work, $$$$$

Parked it in fall 2008 (I was thinking it was only 5 yrs ago, Oy) and just got it going again in July. It has 86k miles now.

I charged the battery and it started up pretty easily. After a few more starts, nothing. Read thru the stuff on Rennlist and other sites and took a guess that it was a Reference Mark Sensor. So I ordered the cheap one of these and got lucky. Put new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, filters, hood struts and removed all the decaying foam from the hood.

It had 3/4 tank of gas and I added some rejuvenator to it. I’ve ran that tank and another tank since. Running very good.

I do remember that the clutch pedal was starting to stick before it was parked. That’s still happening. Going to bleed the lines soon and see what happens. No leaks anywhere (not even under the carpet).

I started it again on a cold morning last week and heard some noise from under the hood. Sounds like the timing belt is flapping, but not broke yet. So now it’s parked until a new belt kit is installed. Looking thru my receipts, I see that a new belt was put on at 52k miles..........20 years ago.

I’m not a car guy, I’m not a mechanic. I bought the car before I bought my wife, house, kids and business. But I like the car, it does look sharp. Hopefully I continue to have good luck and can afford to keep it.

Mike
Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Drain and flush all fluids, oil's, coolant, and gas with cheap fluids. Replace timing and balance shaft belt's. Replace all filters. Replace the battery and let her rip. After running for a good hour, change all the fluid's again with quality stuff. Replace fuel filter again after 5-10 hours of running.
THIS! I'd do a belt and roller kit but no matter what, change the belts for sure before attempting to start the car. Maybe not a bad idea to install a new waterpump and thermostat.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Agree with comments. Regarding StoogeMoe's suggestion, I usually use Marvel Mystery oil, like a cap full per cylinder, let it sit overnight with the hope that the oil will creep around the rings.

With the battery charged and DME relay removed, crank it in short bursts to build oil pressure if at all possible. It helps to get some lubrication top side before letting the engine run.

Check the tires for condition, esp. rot. Eight years is a long time for rubber whether it's been driven or sitting.

Then go drive that car!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I would add that open some of the cam tower plugs and pour some oil in there prior to cranking.

The tappets will still clack -- but atleast they get a little oil in the valve train.

I also pull the oil filter and back fill oil to the oil pump, then pull the dme relay and ignition coil to rotor wire. Then crank via the starter until oil comes out of the oil filter housing. This doesn't guarantee oil pressure, but does mean you are successfully sourcing oil through the oil pump from the sump.

M
Old 10-15-2015, 11:39 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Printer Mike
I don’t want to hijack your thread, but I have a very similar story.
Mike, welcome to the forum.

As a brand new member, and this being your very first post, your introduction really deserved its own thread. You should still start your own thread, post a few photos of your car, and tell more of the story...
Old 10-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Printer Mike
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mel_t_vin - Thanks for your post, I will put together something and start a new thread. I'll try to get my kids to get photos.

Kevin - you are correct, the sidewall of a tire has some cracks. I'll get new tires before I get it back on the road in the spring. I won't start it again until new belts are on.

Wow, there's a ton of great info on Rennlist!!!!! I'll keep reading and making notes. Maybe I'll be able to add something of value to somebody else. Thank you
Old 10-17-2015, 10:00 AM
oefporschelover
Track Day

inspect all rubber components for dry rot.
that would be my #1 task.

Quick Reply: Starting a 944 after XX years