Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap running turbo near me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap running turbo near me.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/5216138670.html

Talked to the owner over texts, he lives only 10 minutes from me if anyone wants me to check it out for them. Owner could not find the options sticker, guessing it got pulled when resprayed. Has sports seats, unsure about LSD. Dash is uncracked. He also has no maintenance history & unsure about timing belt.. Still cheap & his wife wants it gone ASAP.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:38 PM
chadcorn
Instructor

Sounds like it could be a great find. And I like those wheels quite a bit actually!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That ad has been up a month and nobody snatched it up yet?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend bought a "cheap running turbo" for $4200 a few months ago. He's already at $6k more out of pocket replacing bushings/seals/hoses/tb/wp/suspension bits/etc.
Goes to show, there is really no such thing as a "cheap Porsche!"
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlau
My friend bought a "cheap running turbo" for $4200 a few months ago. He's already at $6k more out of pocket replacing bushings/seals/hoses/tb/wp/suspension bits/etc.
Goes to show, there is really no such thing as a "cheap Porsche!"
hes 6k deep on that? is he doing the work or paying someone to do it?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arominus
Has to be.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Originally Posted by konakat
Wow. That ad has been up a month and nobody snatched it up yet?
He had it originally posted for $9k. Now he's down to $5,500.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Even doing your own wrenching, the costs escalates each time you pull out the wrenches. You take something off to repair/replace it and find something previously inaccessible that needs or should be replaced. WYIT will getcha every time.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Even doing your own wrenching, the costs escalates each time you pull out the wrenches. You take something off to repair/replace it and find something previously inaccessible that needs or should be replaced. WYIT will getcha every time.
It will get you for sure, but even with a turbo it would be hard to rack up 6k in parts just "catching it up" hes got to be paying labor on it.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently helped a friend getting his 968 sorted. Most components had not been touched in 23yrs. Before we knew it, we were close to $5000 in parts alone.
As stated, it can add up quick. Keep in mind, this was a 968, a turbocharged car has a lot more parts, so it is much worse. Any 951 that needs to be sorted can easily run $6k in parts alone. I am pricing everything based on either oem or factory parts only.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I recently helped a friend getting his 968 sorted. Most components had not been touched in 23yrs. Before we knew it, we were close to $5000 in parts alone.
As stated, it can add up quick. Keep in mind, this was a 968, a turbocharged car has a lot more parts, so it is much worse. Any 951 that needs to be sorted can easily run $6k in parts alone. I am pricing everything based on either oem or factory parts only.
Im actually pretty impressed with that, i had my T-belt incident and still was only into that repair for about $1100. I used oem cam pads, but not belts/rollers because why bother. They are getting replaced pretty quickly anyways (on a 2 year rotation now).

What the heck did you guys replace? did you throw $1800 at a variocam tensioner or something?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Did a complete engine reseal with engine in car (what a pita) $$
Refreshed head/head gasket $$
Engine mounts $$
Control arms and suspension bushings refresh with new Castor blocks $$
Cam chain and tensioner pads
Cam pulley cover $$
It was one of those while you are in there deals. Good thing we removed the head because it was seriously failing in spots due to water corrosion. Car was supposedly maintained by a very reputable shop, more like ignored. The clutch helper spring mechanism was complete destroyed.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Did a complete engine reseal with engine in car (what a pita) $$
Refreshed head/head gasket $$
Engine mounts $$
Control arms and suspension bushings refresh with new Castor blocks $$
Cam chain and tensioner pads
Cam pulley cover $$
It was one of those while you are in there deals. Good thing we removed the head because it was seriously failing in spots due to water corrosion. Car was supposedly maintained by a very reputable shop, more like ignored. The clutch helper spring mechanism was complete destroyed.
the OE gasket does that, my 93 968 engine's head gasket was rusting away as well. the head had never been off.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:24 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree, you can rack up 5-6K in parts in no time on a 951. My car was in good running condition when I got it - good enough to drive 1500 miles home. I had a PPI and had it checked out by another experienced rennlister, and neither turned up anything that they thought was noteworthy. But I'd say I'll have sunk about 10K in parts into it by the time it's properly sorted - and that's more or less completely stock components. Granted it has taken a few years, but that's just because it takes me a while to get around to things. It's mostly stuff the car needed before I got it.

That said, the car listed there does look like a good deal, especially if it really has no leaks like they say in the ad. I wonder what's on the odometer...
Old 10-10-2015, 12:30 AM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
He's got a mechanic that is doing the reseal work that it needed and some other odds and ends but more than half of the cost is parts. The car had sat for a few years but the previous owner had fired it right up with new gas/oil and a battery.
He came from a track-prepped full-cage 951 and wanted something that he could drive on the street too. Fortunately, the car has only ~75k miles on it and paint/interior are in great shape so it's still a decent price with the work done.

Quick Reply: Cheap running turbo near me.