Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toolbox tie-down

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015 | 11:07 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Default Toolbox tie-down

Just for kicks, does anyone else carry around a tool box in their 944? It's not like these cars ever break down or anything...

Looking at some beefy leather straps... anyone done it? I just don't want to be smooshed in a collision by it. Curious to see what others have come up with.

Old 09-28-2015 | 11:43 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

No toolbox in my car- I haul an upright bass too often to take up that space!

I'd look into a soft-sided tool bag that you could fit into the fender wells... That seems like an ideal spot to hide the tools without the same risk of being decapitated by a flying metal object...
Old 09-29-2015 | 12:16 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Default Toolbox tie-down

Bass players unite although I play electric bass

I'm mostly on the acoustic guitar (and used to jam on an acoustic bass) which fit perfectly in the hatch of this car!
Old 09-29-2015 | 12:59 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

No worries, I play electric too, but how can any electric compete with an 83 year old carved upright?

Bass is why I'm on my 4th 944... And I'm debating building some kind of collapsible support that would attach to the rear setback and support/secure the neck on my upright, since I'm hauling it in the 944 at least twice a week.

I've been debating custom-fabbing a soft-side bag that would fit in the fender wells to haul tools and the like. I mean, it's a TON of space, so why not use it?!?
Old 09-29-2015 | 01:01 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

More on topic, I'd maybe see what you can attach to the rear seatback latches on the side? Seems like there's a TON of tolerance on those latches, so you could either bolt a d-ring plate under the latch itself or just clip something onto the studs themselves.
Old 09-29-2015 | 10:20 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

do you carry a spare tire?
if not, theres a good spot to stick the tool box, and a huge mounting boss for your strap.

my toolbox fits perfectly in front of the passenger seat, between door sill and tunnel.
Old 09-29-2015 | 12:10 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dear SH: check some marine catalogs. They make a nice ss little broadened u-hanger with two eyes in it, for screws on each end. A strap can go under and around the bar to secure stuff like a toolbox. I think that an outfit called Nicro Fico makes these...jus sayin..
Old 09-29-2015 | 01:15 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orbix
More on topic, I'd maybe see what you can attach to the rear seatback latches on the side? Seems like there's a TON of tolerance on those latches, so you could either bolt a d-ring plate under the latch itself or just clip something onto the studs themselves.
Interesting idea, I'll check it out later tonight.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
do you carry a spare tire?
if not, theres a good spot to stick the tool box, and a huge mounting boss for your strap.

my toolbox fits perfectly in front of the passenger seat, between door sill and tunnel.
Yeah I have the spare, although that would make a good spot for it.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear SH: check some marine catalogs. They make a nice ss little broadened u-hanger with two eyes in it, for screws on each end. A strap can go under and around the bar to secure stuff like a toolbox. I think that an outfit called Nicro Fico makes these...jus sayin..
Thanks for the lead, I'll definitely look in catalogs for pre-designed hold-downs.

Ok, so I was initially thinking of a classic strap-down, almost like suspenders going over the tool box. What about this idea:

The 4 straps coming going over/under the toolbox would then go under the upright section of the rear seat and bolt down. It would probably be hard to find a pre-made piece out there that happened to be the right dimensions but it would be relatively secure. Only the 3D sketch shows it, but there would be buckles so the tool box can be opened without removing the hold-down. Making it DIY from bulk leather would be cool...I'm envisioning a texture/thickness similar to this leather guitar strap I have. I love the feel and I know it can easily take the loading.

Old 09-29-2015 | 07:05 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orbix
No toolbox in my car- I haul an upright bass too often to take up that space!

I'd look into a soft-sided tool bag that you could fit into the fender wells... That seems like an ideal spot to hide the tools without the same risk of being decapitated by a flying metal object...
+1

What does not fit in the wheel wells, fits behind the seats. I use a small plastic tool box in the area. Protects the spare DME, fuses, relays, +++

The tool box in the picture is waiting for a smash and grab. (or just pop the rear quarter window and open the door)

J_AZ
Old 09-29-2015 | 07:26 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Cull the herd and run lighter, you shouldn't need to carry so many tools that you need that big of a box. You should be able to carry everything you need in one of the cubbies. You need a box for cross country though! I pulled the head 1000 miles from home with this and it was in a smaller box, i had to buy an adjustable wrench (for the cams) and a torch while i was out there. I had my buddy send me my torque wrench and parts. You wouldn't need nearly this much running around town IMO. Around town, i don't carry anything beyond the factory tool kit as I'll have the car towed home.

Ratchet Wrench set (8,10,12,13,15,17,19)
1/4" ratchet (7,8,10,12,13) 1.5" and 3" extension
Maybe a 1/2" ratchet with 15,17,19,22,24 1.5 and 6" extension.
3 screw drivers (stubby #2, normal #2 and a flat blade)
Triple square set.
Allen wrench set (keys, sockets optional, but you really only need those in 4/5/6)
small hammer and a small pry bar.
Cutters and plyers. cheap small multimeter.
Old 09-29-2015 | 07:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

My box was a bit smaller than yours for the trip.
Old 09-29-2015 | 07:41 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

With that much in the hatch why not pull a teardrop??

Name:  tear drop trailer.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  16.4 KB

J_AZ
Old 09-29-2015 | 07:49 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by John_AZ
With that much in the hatch why not pull a teardrop??

Attachment 977473

J_AZ
I didn't want to mount a hitch on my car nor buy a trailer, anyways it had the room, the hatch is a major reason to have this car! It's so useful. I had no problem using the rear view mirror and my Girlfriend and i camped out of the car on our way to cali with no problems. I was able to cruise at 85-95 all day with the a/c on and the weight was not an issue. Why pull a gas eating trailer if you don't have to? We stayed with friends out in Cali so i just unloaded our stuff into their garage and then packed back up for the drive home.

Old 09-29-2015 | 07:59 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

John
Old 09-29-2015 | 10:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
My box was a bit smaller than yours for the trip.
damn dude, when i pack up for a 500 mile one-way week long trip all my stuff fits in a backpack...and a bottle of water lol

Quick Reply: Toolbox tie-down