Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am now a street squirrel Now With Pictures!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts
Talking I am now a street squirrel NOW WITH PICTURES!!

I drove seventy miles this morning with my 81 yr old dad in his olds minivan to look at the Z28. From a block away I told my dad i was buying the car.

He asked why, and i pointed out the quality of the ten year old paintwork from a block away. the car was next to the guys brand new yellow Z06 with 405 HP.

The car was mint. engine made Tony's blueS2 look shabby (in a figurative way).

Everything was right about the car. I knocked the guy down a few bucks, but still paid a significant premium over book. Which is ok because when i sold my RX7 in similar condition I got a 50% premium over the highest book value.

I went to the bank, came back less than an hour later with the cash while the seller got the other rims and springs from his attic.

He told me he didnt want to sell it to me because I was going to use it as a daily car, and he wanted his baby to continue to be babied. I asked him if the car ever saw a car wash, he said no. I told him i saw that down the block, and dont use car washes or recycled water on my cars, and that my daily driver is in a magazine.

I drove the car home. Man what torque even in sixth gear it pulls.

Handling is up there too with the suspension mods. it is a much bigger car than the 944 but on the road handles great. probably wont be as good as a 944 at an autocross, but then again a 944 isnt as good as a miata, which isnt as good as a mini.

the only rattle on some expansion joints was the crappy radio. it wasnt till i got home i realized he put his amps (urban) where the spare should have been.

nothing like replacing a red 944 with an equally bright red Z28.

Here is a link to some pictures

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b32c2bbe65da

Last edited by Tom R.; 09-21-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a real find you got yourself. Take some pictures for us when you get the time!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...you got the Z! Congrats Tom! I think that overall, you'll be happier with a newer, low-maint Camaro. Post some pics!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:51 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craparo
Old 09-20-2003, 08:55 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you mean Crapmaro. But these cars are far from crap. Those Chevy V-8's are reliable as all hell. They also have a ton of potential. Great find Tom. My next car is going to be a Trans Am with the WS6 package. Late model, of course. Good luck with her. Destroy those ricers with the V-8 eater decals on 'em.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

tom there is an autocross tomorrow, give me a ride
Old 09-20-2003, 09:43 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

The WS6 is a monster.. consider your tires bald by the end of the week
Old 09-20-2003, 09:47 PM
951Badger
Racer

Yeah. Pics...we want pics!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i will shoot some pics tomorrow.

Dan, I would put the crappy 16" rims on the car and autocross it tomorrow if it was registered. I called geico and had coverage, and put a plate from my other car on as i very carefully drove it home.

The car has a hypertech chip, calloway air induction (fancy plastic tube), and a MSD spark box. Underneath he put a hotchkis strut brace & trailing arms and lingenfelter sway bars, and bilsteins revalved by doug rippie (i think. he forgot to give me that receipt which i did see).

It needs a new battery, and some serious work on the stereo. it came with the Bose option, but this **** nut had to improve that too with crapola amps. my neighbor has amps. my neighbor has everything electronic including a screen he paid close to 30k for last year. i wanna turn my house into his dumpster!

i plan on being at the tobay autocross, i could start in second and drive it like an automatic there is so much torque. just gotta get the width through the narrow parts. that wil be real tough with the slope of the hood.

Oh ANDY, guess what song came on the radio on my way home. Squeeze play!

Yes, the proper term is crapmaro.
In high school the called me Camario Andretti because no name rhymed with firechicken.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:17 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! It's an omen Tom!

Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i meant to mention that the throw is as short as the throw on the porsche. thats what sold me the car. I just flicked the shifter. the clutch is not as heavy as i thought it would be. but the steering is very heavy, and the car definitely is not, and i stress not as tossable as the 944.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is what sold me on the car. I sent my cousin that works for GM a link to the pictures of the 944 that got hit by the dodge ram. here is the link to the pictures.

http://irregardless.us/944/

I told him the crashworthiness of the 944 was a big reason why i bought a 944.

here is his reply

"Actually, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, realizing that I am not an expert on crash worthiness, but with my limited knowledge, the driver of the 944 was a very lucky person. Looking at the Ram, you notice that all of the energy is absorbed by the front end and not transmitted to the passenger compartment. That is good. Yes, I do realize that there is a weight difference between the 2 vehicles. But, I did not like seeing the “A” pillar deformed and crushed. We put a lot of high and ultra high strength steel into these areas along with engineering what happens to the entire front end structure during a crash. Although we take all of this for granted, a great number of both computer simulations along with real live barrier testing is performed so that our cars do not look like the 944 in the picture. The barrier building is located at the Milford Proving Ground where I work, and at times I can hear them getting ready for a test, since the building is quite near the gas pumps. "
Old 09-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom- when I used to drive a Camaro at autocros I did exactly what you said, ran it in second the entire time. They are not tossable and suffer mightly from a solid rear axle. Be careful putting down power over bumps. Lemme know if you need a good deal on some tires.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom,

Congrats, good luck with the Camaro, I think it was the car for you.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:23 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

congrats Tom

I say we all sell our 944s and get camaros... come on, whos in?

Quick Reply: I am now a street squirrel Now With Pictures!!