Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of more shots here in Acadia
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

So no more issues since the cablectomy. Car has been performing in the stellar region. Bummer though you really can't push on the pedal too hard here. It's National Parks Centennial year and the place is crawling with what seems to be twice as many tourists. Unbelievably I've only seen two pcars and a couple of vette's lurking around. Park rangers drive unmarked Maine state plates so you really have to watch it too. Driving after dusk is very risky with a prodigious amount of four-legged traffic. But the curves, loops, swoops ans swales are still a gas.

Fronkenstein
Old 06-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Fronky..just a head's up on the Boxster/914 project..Seems that the the Boxsters up until about 2006 had problems with an intermediate shaft bearing..requiring a full engine/trans pull for a bearing replacement. I didn't know if you were aware of this or not..Seems that they did mods in the late 2005/early 2006 models. Might want to confirm this info...the source was a Boxster owner..Good luck..Glad to hear that you averted the engine fire! She looks great!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Default Just bought a PIWIS I and...

Hey guys / gals I just picked up a PIWIS I to fill out the shop a bit more. If anyone in the tri-state (MA, ME, NH) area needs reasonable access to this or help with some issues requiring a PIWIS please IM me. We will be adding a PIWIS II later in the year as well as some other cool goodies.

Fronkenstein
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Clocked 2400 miles over the past 4 weeks. Outside of the interior lighting harness flameout all is good. I'll consumption is nil and performance above 3700 RPM is fantastic running RS Barn Stage II chip through our home built custom exhaust.

Next upgrades not in order:

1) Aircraft electronic engine management system
2) RS Barn Stage II camshafts
3) Lindsey lower frame brace
4) RS Barn tower brace
5) LSD 6 speed
6) Cylinder head rebuild, port & polish and spring upgrade
7) Dry sump
8) Dual oil cooler
9) Heim joint control arm bushings
10) Monobloc calipers

Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Fronkenstein
Clocked 2400 miles over the past 4 weeks. Outside of the interior lighting harness flameout all is good. I'll consumption is nil and performance above 3700 RPM is fantastic running RS Barn Stage II chip through our home built custom exhaust.

Next upgrades not in order:

1) Aircraft electronic engine management system
2) RS Barn Stage II camshafts
3) Lindsey lower frame brace
4) RS Barn tower brace
5) LSD 6 speed
6) Cylinder head rebuild, port & polish and spring upgrade
7) Dry sump
8) Dual oil cooler
9) Heim joint control arm bushings
10) Monobloc calipers

what is aircraft electronic engine management system?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

A bit of background first. So I spent a lot of money on Autometer AFR and other gauges for my cars. Just the other day I was lamenting mounting all of that stuff in my cats because it's so invasive. Then I started thinking about engine management systems like are found in aircraft.

My son-in-law is an aircraft power & airframe mechanic as well as an inspector and also acting chief of operations at a regional airport in Vermont. I just returned as I write this (average speed 74.66 MPH 168 miles).

So he showed me a few aircraft systems designed for experimentals that are within reach of normal mortals. These systems can provide a very rich detail of all things happening such as: AFR, CHT, EGT, IAT, VAC, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, water pressure, fuel pressure, fuel flow, etc. All in one neat package on one clean LED display.

The best thing about these is thru can be set up for up to 10 cylinders and are independent of the fuel system. So you can use it on anything from carburetion to direct cylinder injection systems.

So we're going to go outfit my 944 & 928 with sensors and harnesses and see what we get for results. If all goes well, who knows what will come next.

Fronkenstein
Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Default "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

Woohoo PIWIS I is here!

Fronkenstein
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Check this out

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...isplay-package

This combines several readings into one slick panel. You could configure it to read lambda/AFR, fuel pressure, oil temp, and fuel temp for example, using thermocouples. It can also datalog. Idk if that's what you're looking for as far as readouts, though. I too think gauges everywhere are annoying at best, I think I'm gonna grab that part for my 951 for boost/AFR/egt/oil temp.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
Pretty cool and significantly cheaper although it would be interesting to see how much it cost to add all the sensors and harnesses. The other unit comes with all of the items I mentioned but it is FAR more expensive. The other advantage I can see of my unit is that it is full color multi-data display so that I can see several gauges at once including per port data such as AFR over EGT, etc. But again $400 versus $2000 is huge and esoteric It will be a smash with pilots though

Fronkenstein
Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look on the bright side it's not a factor of ten.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscharu
Look on the bright side it's not a factor of ten.
yup
Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Default "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

Just added a new member to the family. 2001 986 2.5L apparent IMS victim. Two previous owners, the second owning it since 2004. May flip it, won't know until we see how bad it really is. The yellow vent covers must have made it to really fast

Fronkenstein
Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a good spec boxter candidate.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscharu
Looks like a good spec boxter candidate.
Yeah maybe but I'd rather have the S with 3.4L more fun. But I don't think I am cut out for spec racing and don't think I have the time or budget to start up racing from scratch.

If someone bails out of racing and has a deal like I saw i few years back; full trailer, minimum 2X spares for everything including engines, transmissions and a first rate winning car. This guy had $150K plus invested and sold it for $45K - that is the way to start racing.

I thought of buying a couple of 951s up near me that are already stripped and caged, one is turnkey.

Heck I have $16K tied up in lemony and she doesn't have a cage or even harnesses for that matter. I could drop another $15K into her and barely be ready for serious modified class racing and that is without any spares, trailer, tires, wheels.

I think I am good for some DE days and hot runs over Randolph mountain road in VT or time trial from Montpelier to the east coast This past run average was 74.641 MPH which is the fastest average speed over a period of two hours I have accomplished.

I love building these babies as much as driving them. In fact I would love to build a car for someone looking to race seriously. We built lemony on a relative shoestring and could have done cheaper maybe but I am happy with the results.

How about a panamerica engine in a 928 - joking. Next car is a 993, 996 or 997.

Fronkenstein

I

Quick Reply: "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!