Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016 | 09:34 AM
jshep
Intermediate

Looks good
I'm in favor
Old 05-28-2016 | 06:55 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Default "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

So I received my RSBarn Stage II chip today and did the install. All I have to say is:

WOW!

I recommend it to above who has a modified exhaust and likes to drive at 3800 RPM or above. I am not saying below 3800 is not good. What I am saying is that from 3800 up the results are significant.

Fronkenstein
Old 06-10-2016 | 12:34 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Love this car! Thanks to all of you who convinced me not to sell her. Handling is amazing. RSBarn chip really brought her to life.

Fronkenstein

PS. Eyegor says hallo
Attached Images     
Old 06-11-2016 | 08:51 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Great Job, Fronky! Nice car, great conversion! Glad that you are pleased with all your hard work!
Old 06-11-2016 | 10:31 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tiger. This car this has been the easiest build. We just found a 914 in need of a home Thinking of a total mod job with boxster S suspension and not sure of the drive train yet. But I also found a a couple of bimmers that may also end up in the shop. A 2002 and possibly an 323 or maybe even an S14 not sure, gotta go see them.

This thread isn't up yet. Still more tweaking and hopefully some track times to post soon

Fronkenstein
Old 06-16-2016 | 06:21 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Default Lemony holds her own against a circa 2010-2013 M3

So I was in a non-disclosed state on a non-disclosed freeway when along came a very sweet and nicely tuned / modified M3. From what I can remember based on the style it was circa 2010-2013. Its not that much different under the hood from the new ones; 4.0L turbo, 6 speed, 400HP, 380FPT, etc.

I was running late and trying to make up time very aggressively and the M3 decided to follow and start playing. Stupid traffic, that is constipation in the left lanes combined with no restrictions on right hand passing I decided I needed to get ahead of the pack.

The M3 took this to mean I wanted to race. Lemony was decidedly much more nimble through the cones aka cars and left little room for the M3's hesitation to recover. Once it did make it past the blockage it became a battle for the position which it being in the far left lane and Lemony in the far right left plenty of room for a short sprint to max RPM duel.

I heard the M3 go WOT with significant bog even at the high speed it was moving. I pushed on Lemony's go pedal and she just rose to the occasion pouring on speed while hunkering down into the tarmac. It was such an impressive display for a 3.0L it was most gratifying.

I don't really know how fast we were going because I couldn't see my GPS speedometer. What I do know is it would have been a bail bondsman for the M3. We were neck and neck and I had more throttle and was still in 5th gear! Coming up on a sweeping left bend occluded by bushes I decided it was time to shut her down. Within 1/2 mile we were greeted by a trooper who was fortunately busy with another motorist.

Having never really owned a true sports car I can say unequivocally that the 29 year old 944 with the 3.0L and coilover suspension is an unbelievably impressive car. It may not be a 0-60 MPH wonder but once its rolling and in the power band it is a formidable contender especially comparing it to today's high-tech cars.

I have always been a big turbo guy; been playing with them on chevy v8's since the mid-70's. This car has shown me that there is indeed a lot of room for the simple pure and raw power to be had in NA drivetrains.

It also doesn't hurt that her big sister Inga my 1978 M28.22 powered 928 held her own against a new Alpha Romeo TT just a week ago. In the end I would have lost due to gearing but we were neck and neck in the bailbonds region of speed.

Driving the 928, even with heavy Bilsteins and S4 springs feels like a trip in a Caddy Fleetwood.

Just had to share the experience and hats off to RSBarn again for a great chip. I am going to get an LSD, heavier duty clutch and RSBarn cams and springs for the next level of modifications. That will be this winter. In the mean time I am getting very comfortable with the dynamics of this car and I can see why it was and surely still is a legendary model even if it is snubbed by the air-cooled crowd. I'll take up against anything at this point. Just because you can go fast in a straight line doesn't mean you can drive or the car can take the turns

Fronkenstein
Old 06-17-2016 | 10:23 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Fronky..since you are a wizard in doing mods and such..Perhaps a Chevy(boo-hiss) 6 speed Corvette trans would get you where you want without too much more hassle...IDK about one for a Boxster or later P-car though..just a thought. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2016 | 11:37 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Yeah no thanks. I am not going to do a mix-breed even though Porsche did use Borg in the 928's. I thought of doing that swap in my 928 but backed away. I don't want to change the dynamics of that 930 rear suspension. Plus I have an issue with mixing marques on vehicles that have a reasonable chance of keeping good residual value even if they are modified like my 928 for example. Sure it's got the wrong year engine, carrera brakes, etc. But overall those are acceptable "upgrades" in my book versus a marque swap out of a major component.

A Porschevy 944 no matter how well done is never going to have the value my 944 3.0L conversion will have given the same condition and age over time. A Chevy drivetrain in a Porsche may be slick but it isn't cool. At least not to anyone other than someone who wants a hot rod. And as time passes so do the stories as cars pass from owner to owner. But there is no other story for a Porschevy than "the PO got sick of the expense of the Porsche drivetrain and perceived lack of performance and dumped a crate motor into it".

At some point I will figure out a way to put that G44 in my 928.

Fronkenstein
Old 06-19-2016 | 03:45 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Well we're off to Mount Dessert Island tomorrow ready to conquer Cadillac Mountain

Fronkenstein
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2016 | 09:44 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Here we are on Cadillac.
Attached Images    
Old 06-21-2016 | 01:03 PM
KVDR
Pro

The yellow really pops with the warm light.
Old 06-21-2016 | 07:11 PM
lfisher
Advanced

Your car looks Awesome! And the 968 power train.... Love it!
Old 06-22-2016 | 07:31 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Thanks lfisher! Now here is the sucky part. Lemony nearly caught on fire on top of Cadillac Mountain this AM!!! Pulled the battery while the cabin was filing with smoke. Power window red/grn fried which is really concerning since the curse was blown too. I can't believe we didn't lose her. Scared the heck outta me. I've lost one car to a car fire and this would have been a heartbreaker. So I guess I am going to be doing electrical repairs today.

Fronkenstein
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2016 | 12:16 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Soooo it seems as though the front interior light shorted to ground and burned the entire pillar harness, the left door contact harness and the main power feed (red/green) from plug/pin K45 at the central electrics. Amazing I could get this far up here in Bar Harbor At least the mystery is solved although it still sux that my once pristine wiring harness is indelibly scarred unless I can get my hands on a hulk that hasn't been chopped up in the harness department.

Fronkenstein
Old 06-22-2016 | 08:17 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

The carnage. Whoever the "engineer" was that spec'd out a 30 AMP fuse for an 18 gauge circuit must have been on a binge.

I will be separating that circuit from the power windows feed and 10 AMP fuse.

Fronkenstein
Attached Images         

Quick Reply: "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!