Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice on 87 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 03:22 AM
My944Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension advice on 87 951

Hello,

First off I spent about three hours yesterday searching the forums and found a lot of good information. And based upon that I think I have come up with where I want to go. First, my car only sees the street...sometimes hard street, but street non the less.

I have an 1987 944 Turbo with the M474 suspension option, yellow konis all around. My front part numbers are 951 343 031 08 and 951 343 032 08, and yes it is definitley 08, not 06 as the catalog says. I'm thinking of going with Paragon Products for
Front Konis with 200, 225, or 250lbs springs with the coil over kit and having them do the conversion to the new konis.

For the rears either the konis, or doing possibly the KLA Industries rear adjustable shock, or their rear coilover.

Now I don't want to have to touch the t-bars or the sways, so do you think this will work well. I don't want it to harsh on the street, but I want it to corner like it is on rails...and right now with shock oil all over my front end it handles like crap. Oh, and the ABS and Brake pad light are on, I think all that shock oil has messed it up. Stupid shocks.

The only problem I have is that I know all I really need is the konis and new springs, no real reason for the coilover kit in the front or the rear...but it seems like it would be fun..

So if you guys wouldn't mind, guide me through my purchase.

It looks like about $1300 for front and rear coilovers from paragon and kla, or a little under a $900 if I just get new shocks and springs and have them do the conversion...what to do? And I suppose if I went the cheaper route it would allow me to spend money on cleaning supplies and fixing my ABS. Thanks guys.

Patrick
87 944 turbo and back from the engine fire of last summer...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:32 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake pad light could be due to a broken brake pad sensor cable. In case you didn't know, there is one on each corner and they go right to the pads.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:37 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

If you only do street driving, don't bother with springs, just get the Konis. They make a massive difference. And it only costs about $500.
If you do get springs, get 200# lowering springs in the front, and adjust the eccentric in the back, you can lower the car (improving the cornering) without having to adjust the torsion bars.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:55 AM
My944Turbo
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up on the brake light...i checked my pads and they are fine, but with that shock oil everywhere my once yellow shock up front is completely black and covered in gunk, and it doesn't come on until i hit a bump so I think it is just a loose connection with the sensor...I hope the same with the abs wheel speed sensor.

Yeah, I know you probably right, I would get the lowering springs as my car now is incredibley low, I think because the shocks are so worn. I'd be scared to see my car at the normal ride height. I guess I should just go the cheap route, but I always figure one day I will actually start to take it to the track, and I just want to be somwhere in the middle with the suspension when that happens. But thanks for keeping me sensible, I keep trying to talk myself into a bunch of cool, expensive things that I don't need.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:47 PM
My944Turbo
Instructor

I figured i'd move this up and see if anyone else tries to talk to me out of the fun and expensive route, with the more sensible and realistic one.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I haven't seen anybody else mention these, I have them on my 944S wrapped around a set of new Koni Yellow's:

http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi...944RideHeight+

The plan is to track my car, so for street use they might be overkill.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I haven't seen anybody else mention these, I have them on my 944S wrapped around a set of new Koni Yellow's:

http://www.smartcart.com/Paragon/cgi...944RideHeight+

The plan is to track my car, so for street use they might be overkill.
I mention them every post (4th line of my sig ).
He said street only, so I think those would be a waste of his money. But if he ever does decide to track or autoX his car, the coilovers are a nice improvement. But getting stiffer front springs means you have to upgrade the torsion bars, so your cost shoots up. And a torsion bar swap is much harder and longer than a coilover install. I paid a pro to do mine.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ag951
I mention them every post (4th line of my sig ).

Gotcha!!

My shocks were shot, so I ordered the coil-over kit with koni yellow at all 4 corners. I planned to drive around for a few weeks to get used to the change then do the TB's. Well, a little rod bearing didn't like that plan, the car hasn't moved much since. Hopefully by spring. I might just put in 924 TB's and get rear coil-overs with "helper" springs.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha!!

My shocks were shot, so I ordered the coil-over kit with koni yellow at all 4 corners. I planned to drive around for a few weeks to get used to the change then do the TB's. Well, a little rod bearing didn't like that plan, the car hasn't moved much since. Hopefully by spring. I might just put in 924 TB's and get rear coil-overs with "helper" springs.
I ran the car a few times without the TBs. It was horrible. Between the stiff springs, and the rake caused by lowering the front, there was massive understeer!
The day I was going to take it in to get the TBs done, I noticed my fuel lines were leaking onto my block!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:35 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ag951
I ran the car a few times without the TBs. It was horrible. Between the stiff springs, and the rake caused by lowering the front, there was massive understeer!
Did you have any TB's or just the coil overs?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Default "

Did you have any TB's or just the coil overs?
To quote Fishey, "Yes, if it didn't [have torsion bars] the back end of the car would be on the ground". (I thought it was pretty funny when he said it).

If you mean a rear coilover kit, then no, I had front coilovers (and a 1.5" drop in front ride height), 375# springs on the front, Konis everywhere, and stock base 951 torsion bars (with the rear up almost an inch due to the front going down).

Quick Reply: Suspension advice on 87 951