Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944Fest 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cop told me I was being charged with speeding and NOT reckless driving.

I looked at the ticket and there's a section that says "you can avoid coming court and just pay the fine if this box is checked" and the box is checked. My understanding from what the cop told me and reading the ticket is I can pay the fine online and be done.

I don't get why speeding is such a big deal in Virginia. I got a ticket a few years ago in Maryland for going 77 in a 50 and they gave me PBJ...
Old 09-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Had a good time. Next time, as BB said, we need name tags with RL usernames so we can know whos who in the zoo.

Pics from the weekend below:
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Another...
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Default 944Fest 2015

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Had a good time. Next time, as BB said, we need name tags with RL usernames so we can know whos who in the zoo.
It would be awesome if the name badges were shaped like little 944's or the race track we have the event at.

Unrelated topic:
I was beginning to lose interest my car and actually thought about selling it, but 944 Fest gave me the motivation to start working on it again and rekindled my love for the car. I was amazed that my car made the 640 mile round trip with only 2 stops for gas and absolutely no drama. I think next year I'll get my radio working before the trip. Driving in silence was pretty boring....
Old 09-20-2015, 11:40 PM
bokenoet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an awesome time this weekend, thanks to everyone who organized everything! Hopefully the ChumpCar 944 is back together and running for next year's event... Here's my onboard from the FR-S on Friday, anyway:
Old 09-21-2015, 07:32 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
The cop told me I was being charged with speeding and NOT reckless driving.

I looked at the ticket and there's a section that says "you can avoid coming court and just pay the fine if this box is checked" and the box is checked. My understanding from what the cop told me and reading the ticket is I can pay the fine online and be done.

I don't get why speeding is such a big deal in Virginia. I got a ticket a few years ago in Maryland for going 77 in a 50 and they gave me PBJ...
>= 20mph in VA or NC gets reckless driving. If you don't research it ahead of time (the google), then you'll find out when it's too late. I'm not going to reply any further in this thread, but just letting you know what you're up against (ask me how i know). Pretty soon you are going to start getting legal solicitations in the mail - open and read. Pick the lawyer whose office is in the same town as courthouse. They will ask that you NOT come and get this negotiated down. It's corrupt, but will save your license and cost way less in total. This is what is done in nc and va - get a lawyer.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bunch of pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brad_t...57656568034233
Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The speed limits on the highways in VA are stupid. The limit was 65, then dropped down to 45 whenever there was a house or two, then went back up to 65 an eighth of a mile later.
You are far better off, and less likely to get caught if you do 85 MPH in the fast zones and 45 MPH in the slow zones. This is "speeding 101" - cops always hang out where the speed limit drops. There will never be a speed trap in the middle of a fast bit... They're looking for the "low hanging fruit" (and max revenue).
Old 09-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
You are far better off, and less likely to get caught if you do 85 MPH in the fast zones and 45 MPH in the slow zones. This is "speeding 101" - cops always hang out where the speed limit drops. There will never be a speed trap in the middle of a fast bit... They're looking for the "low hanging fruit" (and max revenue).
I shouldn't have pushed my luck, especially on a Saturday night, but oh well. **** happens. Next year I'll be a little more careful.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Read this http://jalopnik.com/what-every-drive...ini-1669902845

...yikes

And BTW, never admit anything!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:31 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Welcome to VA

Some people don't get a lawyer because in their head they confuse these palookas with King and Spalding or something. Make no mistake - you are hiring an alcoholic who plays cards with the judge and prosecutor. Pay him 200 and the charge turns into improper muffler or some such nonsense. Check the box and admit your guilt, or worse - actually show up and try to represent yourself, and they will pull a deliverance on your nether-parts.

Think they haven't heard their fill of stories about the speed limit changing every mile? Well consider this is by design - this is a full-on revenue operation. Pay their drunk college buddy to sweep it under the rug.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Yep. Welcome to VA

Some people don't get a lawyer because in their head they confuse these palookas with King and Spalding or something. Make no mistake - you are hiring an alcoholic who plays cards with the judge and prosecutor. Pay him 200 and the charge turns into improper muffler or some such nonsense. Check the box and admit your guilt, or worse - actually show up and try to represent yourself, and they will pull a deliverance on your nether-parts.

Think they haven't heard their fill of stories about the speed limit changing every mile? Well consider this is by design - this is a full-on revenue operation. Pay their drunk college buddy to sweep it under the rug.
Originally Posted by divil
Read this http://jalopnik.com/what-every-drive...ini-1669902845

...yikes

And BTW, never admit anything!
If 944 Fest is in VA again next year I think I'll stay home. It was nice meeting everyone and stuff, but I don't want anymore tickets....
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I shouldn't have pushed my luck, especially on a Saturday night, but oh well. **** happens. Next year I'll be a little more careful.
whatever you do don't drop the soap
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Very funny....

Let's forget about my ticket, shall we? I don't want to talk about it anymore.

New topic:

More pictures from 944 Fest. Picture wasn't taken by me, but it's of my car.

Hopefully next year I can make it down in time for the track event on Friday. I've always wanted to drive my car on a track.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Very funny....
I seem to recall Lart speaks from experience!

I'd love to see more pictures, since I wasn't able to be there in person.

Quick Reply: 944Fest 2015