Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carrier no longer fits with polybronze

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:46 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default carrier no longer fits with polybronze

Just installed the carrier but found that the poly bronze bushes have spaced out the aluminium carriers too much for the carrier to fit between the holes in the front pickup points on the body. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I did notice that the marks from the factory install is toward the outside of the pickup point holes, so it seems the body is a bit narrower than usual.

It seems I need to elongate the holes in the pickup points further. From where should I reference my measurements to ensure I end up with the carrier centred?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:03 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

You could try to loosen up the aluminum carrier from the torsion tube and get the bolts in the pickup points in the body. I installed chucks rubber spring plate bushings some there was some compliance.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the tip.
I need about 6-8mm. I doubt I can force it that much. Perhaps I can make new excentric centre pieces for the front bushes? They are polyurethane so the centre stock is a separate piece.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:57 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Used new rubber bushes there also..

Where the carrier mounts to the torsion tube, there should be zero gap on the three bolts.

On my LHD, the body hole was precise and the drivers side was elongated for variations in the body.

I would not modify the supports to be eccentric...lots of load there.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Ok.
According to Chuck at Elephant Racing there should be 1mm of play in the polybronce bushes. To get this you need to put spacers/washers between the aluminium carriers and the torsion tube. These are the cause of my problems.

The drivers side hole is elongated as you describe.

I agree that there is a lot of load on the pickup points but all I need is about 3 to 4mm. off centre on each side. This would make it possible to fit the bolts. I would not think that a 3mm lever could cause enough of a twisting motion to overcome the friction of the bolt pinching the centre piece between the mounting flanges, but I'm only guessing. I don't know how to calculate how much force this would excert. If they do twist the off centre pieces would work as a jack and try to push the mounting points apart. I guess that could cause problems in the long run. As far as I can tell the only other alternative is to modify the pickup points on the body.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

pull the three spacers, fit it then reinstall the spacers. you might want to dress up the end of the torsion tube casting high spots

edit...did you smooshed the torsion side in with a block of wood and the cover?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:05 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for trying to help.
I did remove the high spots.
I did not smosh them in because the first time I did so they went in too far and bent the flange causing them to bind. I managed to straighten them out in the press though... I'll take another look tomorrow. It is 0200 and time for some sleep.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:19 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Went back today and managed to install it by using your technique of loosening the aluminium carriers and by using some brute force with a pry bar. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Right on....If you get to re-index, you will get good at it. It has become a habit to slightly tighten everything then torque it with the suspension loaded.

Chucks stuff is awesome.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thankfully I've modified the spring plates and drilled a hole for a pull out bolt in the torsion bar, so hopefully I won't have to drop it in a long time.

Quick Reply: carrier no longer fits with polybronze