Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 15 year old tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
Pssshhh...you guys...you "safety conscious," "Oh, no, I don't want to get killed in a flaming fiery ball of death" guys...

After spending a year motorcycling through Mexico, Central America and South America, I've seen some bodge jobs and whatever was necessary to get the job done at the lowest price.

12 people and a couple of guanaco in the back of a Subaru brat? Sure.
A family of 5 on a 90cc scooter, mother breastfeeding while the 5 year old worked the throttle? Routine.
Million-plus dollar Mercedes luxury motorcoach tumbled town a 400 foot sheer dropoff, because the driver was unskilled, racing and probably drunk?
Unfortunate, but it happens every day. Regrettable about the 53 people who died, however.

In those contexts, 15 year old Porsche tires are nothing. Ask a Peruvian how much life those tires have left.

Of course, having survived all of that, I'd pitch those plastic hoops the second I got the vehicle titled. But, if the phrase "Here, hold my tequila" is part of your pre-driving prep, you might get some more mileage out of them. ;-D
+1 ON THIS, i saw some crazy stuff on the roads driving through mexico on a biz trip last year. anywhere a car will fit, even if its not on the road, becomes a lane.
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
I love it when a plan comes together. I'm glad to hear you were so satisfied. We do have a warehouse in Denver if you would like to pick an order up. Call me ahead of time and I can set it up for you.

Thanks.
do you guys know where to get a suitable new replacement for the collapsible tire?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really wish that I could buy a new phone dial wheel and have a proper spare, stored where the spare should go.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 15 year old tires