Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak - Part II (Lines Leaking)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fuel Leak - Part II (Lines Leaking)

Yay!

OK, so about a month ago I had some grief with my fuel pump leaking. It was replaced, all was well with the world.

Over the past couple of days I've been smelling gas a little in my car, and decided to investigate today.

Well, I guess the new pump must be supplying fuel at a greater pressure than my old one gradually slowed down to and the aged lines can't handle this sudden rebirth. It appears all but one of the connections are leaking. Scary stuff. Very happy I didn't get a fire going.

The leak appears to be coming from where the metal compression on the hose has a union with the part going to the rail (see pic below for best illustration).

I assume this isn't really repairable and a new set of lines is my best option.

What does the forum recommend in terms of replacement lines?

Is this a challenging job? I won't be driving this to my local shop so I'll have to attempt it (wrenching competency: one out of five).

Does the fuel pump need to be disabled? If so, how?

Cheers!

Last edited by Biscuits704; 06-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Lindsay Racing has the stainless braided lines for the later model 944's. Should be a rather straightforward job...unless you use a crescent wrench. If you are worried about the fuel pump, pull the DME relay. That should kill the pump temporarily.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice - as it transpires I just purchased a spare DME relay and need to pull the old one to test it anyway!

I have researched this a little more and took a better look and it seems that (what I assume is) the high pressure feed line is leaking somewhere under the crimped connector as per the picture above. The other end (near the wheel well) is not leaking.

The small damper line is leaking heavily - again from the crimped hose connector area - from the lowest end and slightly at the top end.

The return line (which I assume is the one at the rear, given it has weaker jubilee-clips to connect) isn't leaking whatsoever.

I'll look into the braided lines - and I'll confirm with my shop tomorrow exactly which pump they fitted. Shouldn't make too much of a pressure difference, but still it's weird that all these connectors suddenly fail soon thereafter (unless my first theory is correct).

Cheers
Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like all the original hoses that are under pressure start to go at the same time - I just finished changing brake and fuel lines along with the power steering. Everything imploded within months. Part of the charm of an old car.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

So I have that to look forward to? Oh joy

Does anyone have any experience with the kits that Lart sells on eBay? Looking like a contender...
Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 AM
Browar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Campaign

Please check Your VIN for open recall AK03!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 AM
Johnboy4444
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lart's kits are very good. I had a set of his braided fuel lines on an 86 N/A I used to have, and soon my turbo will be getting a set, I already have another brand of braided fuel lines on it, but I think Lart's look much better. Just as an additional, I also just installed a set of Lart's Teflon Braided brake lines on the 951, and they are excellent, great product for the price, never been disappointed in the products.

Also, its worth mentioning that as a general rule, ALL stock rubber fuel lines in the engine bay should be taken off these cars ASAP, leaking or not, or they could end up a crispy critter. See here; https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...s-no-more.html
This is one of many tales that end the same way, at the age of these cars, and as cheap as it is, ALWAYS replace ALL THREE fuel lines with a braided set. NEVER leave the rubbers on, its a ticking time bomb. Glad to see you got off lucky.
Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Just ordered a kit from Lart - thanks!

The cost could have been so much worse so I am counting myself very lucky.

Originally Posted by Browar
Please check Your VIN for open recall AK03!
Interesting. I did check my VIN but no results. Regardless, I can't drive my car in its current state so can't get it to Porsche for the repair (I think it may have already been carried out though). Also, I think this recall only covers the damper hose and I have leaks from the high pressure feed too.

Good advice though and good to have in the archives for future leakers to stumble across.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

AAA can possibly help..If you have an older car, that needs to go to a shop, a flat-bed wrecker is the way to go..If you don't have AAA plus and an older car, like ours (I have two older critters) you really need to get some back-up in this dept. (cheaper than a car trailer)..jus sayin..TKS
Old 06-03-2015, 03:54 PM
mdj577
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Get Lart's fuel lines for sure. I did in the nick of time. I routinely lift the hood when I park the car to aid in cooling and just to look. One day I discovered this (pic below).

I was likely a single drive away from destruction. And this was after reading several warnings from various folks here. I considered it a rare "second chance". Bought Lart's lines immediatley. The lines appeared and even felt fine from the outside. But you can clearly see gas starting to leak through.

Will post a pic of his installed later. But not only are they functional and safe, they look good as well.
Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2015, 05:11 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biscuits704
So I have that to look forward to? Oh joy

Does anyone have any experience with the kits that Lart sells on eBay? Looking like a contender...
I have both the fuel jumper and braided lines from Lart. No complaints and even better, no leaks!

Cheap insurance.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:20 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the black braided Teflon brake lines from Lart. Very nice!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Got the new lines from Lart - arrived very quickly!

Going to attempt this tomorrow. I have the instructions supplied but from what I remember the end of the metal lines in my car are in the engine bay (like in this video:
) whereas in the instructions you need to go into the wheel well. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow.

Any other things to be aware of?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Thinking about it last night, I guess that whole top section of the metal pipes needs to be cut away and the new hoses extend down to the wheel well area...

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak - Part II (Lines Leaking)