Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arm replacement / alignment - timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Control arm replacement / alignment - timing?

This may be a silly thread, so I appologize in advance....

My right front ball joint is shot for reasons yet to be determined (I believe it's a power steering leak). So, I bought those rebuilt arms and am ready to have them installed. I have also had a local place (Eurotire) order me some Koni Yellow's--but after 2 weeks, they are STILL not in yet.

The question: Can I hold off doing the ball joint/control arm replacement until the shocks are ready to go in-getting it all done at once, or is it a safety hazzard that needs fixing ASAP? I can have the control arms put in on Thursday, along with having the leaks looked at/fixed, but that would mean TWO alignments - one on Thursday, and another when Eurotire installs the Koni's in a week or two. At almost $200 for a 4-wheel serious alignment, doing it twice makes no sense, unless I run the risk of losing a wheel on the highway if I don't fix the ball joint?

What would you guys that can't do-it-yourself do??
Old 09-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost a wheel once from ball joint failure.... It's no fun. The ball breaks free of the aluminum arm and lets the wheel fling wildly about bending and breaking everything it touches (fender, tie rods, etc...). Or if your lucky , like I was, it just pops infront of the broken a arm and you coast gently to a stop.
You will probably be ok until the shocks come in but since you did buy rebuilt arms you run the risk of making the arms you have now non usable as core returns.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:36 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see any sense in doing it twice aswell. Since you are going to be replacing the strut I don't see any severly adverse effects from waiting on the arms.

Christian
Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht
I don't see any sense in doing it twice aswell. Since you are going to be replacing the strut I don't see any severly adverse effects from waiting on the arms.

Christian
Read the post above yours from Travis.

----------------------------------------------------------------

AndyK,

Yes put the arms on now! Take note of where the caster settings are and put them back in the same possition.

Don't take off the tie rods.

Don't take the spindle off of the strut or even loosen it. Just loosen and remove the cross bolt for the ball joint and drop the arm.

Yes you do have to take off the sway bar. Might be time for sway bar bushings!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Socal-

I won't be doing this job myself (unless Adrial has free time for a garage control arm replacement lunch?), so of course the shop that would be doing the work won't take the "be careful and avoid alignment" approach!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I drove Andy's car a few weeks ago and I can tell you (comming from a person who also lost a ball joint) He can wait on it for a week or so.

Christian
Old 09-09-2003, 09:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be another 2 weeks though, and I hate having to drive the car like it's about to fall appart.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

How bad have the vibrations gotten?

Christian
Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vibrations are non-existant. I do hear a "clunk" when I slow down, which I assume is because of the bad ball joint. The steering is tight...and I am only going by what this mechanic shop told me (bad ball joint).
Old 09-09-2003, 10:56 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

How about when you go over pot holes and such?

Christian
Old 09-09-2003, 11:10 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hard to say, I hear the hatch rattling so much! I notice when I hit a bump, the car kinda wants to go off course a little.

My theory is, my power steering fluid is leaking on the front right suspension. Ball joints, and maybe sway bar bushing (the cause of the strange clunk when I slow down).
Old 09-09-2003, 11:18 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Andy, I dont really have time anymore. School & work have started.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problem Adrial! I figured you were busy. I'll probably have the new mechanic fix the leak, install the arms, maybe new sway bar bushings too.

If it takes Eurotire any longer to order the shocks from Koni, I'll just get them from Paragon, and eat the add'l alignment fee. Cost of bad timing!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:11 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Andy K,

Do you have access to a garage? I also have to get my ball joints done but since I park my car in a municipal garage I can't work on it there.

Hate paying $600 to my mechanic when I can do something for 1/3 the cost myself.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:17 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

The ball joints are a breeze. If your rattle, clunking isn't terrible, and you don't plan to put more than a couple hundre miles on the car over a two week period, then I think this is a decent calculated risk. Note: RISK.
I would do it all at once (in fact, that's what I did), but I'm not you and I can't decide for you.
What I CAN do is offer phone help if you try the repair yourself. It's really not too bad.
Is that S2 control arm aluminum like the turbo, or pressed steel like the NA? Either way it's a straight forward repair.
feel free to email for a phone number if you need help: jonnyflyboy@yahoo.com.
--- I would recommend bushings too while you're in there, cheap and worth the time. Also, how old are your rotors?

Quick Reply: Control arm replacement / alignment - timing?