Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in oil . . . Source?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 04:55 PM
Douglas G.
AutoX

Default Coolant in oil . . . Source?

1987 924S, 60K miles . .

Hello folks. Checked the oil a few days ago and it was brown . . coolant in oil brown. Not a milkshake yet so I caught it early. I originally assumed that it was the oil cooler seals. After further investigation today, I'm not sure.

I had to replace the Voltage Regulator today. When I removed the air box I found a small amount of brown oil/coolant mix in the boot from the air box to the throttle body. Now I am thinking head gasket . . . so I pulled the plugs, they all were a bit wet but good; I ran the car just long enough to check that it was charging the battery so it was not warmed up when I shut it down.

Could it be coming into the throttle body boot through the PCV valve (hose circled in photo below)??? If so, is this much oil coming through the PCV valve normal?

If that is how it is getting into the boot then I will go back to thinking it is the Oil Cooler seals . .

Any and all input greatly appreciated . . .
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:06 PM
Arominus
Race Car

How does it look in the sump? Oil cooler should be done if you haven't done it anyways.
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:12 PM
Douglas G.
AutoX

Arominus, have not drained the oil yet but it is brown on the dipstick and there is a small amount of oil in the coolant reservoir.

I am concerned about the oil I see in the Air Box boot . . where is it coming from?
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:14 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Its been a while since I had my 951.
I seem to remember turbo bearing.
Obviously your engine is not running. Pop the cap on the coolant tank.
Stick your finger in there and check for oil in there...

oops 924s.... nevermind
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Brown on the dipstick and my first stop is those oil cooler seals. You'll want to replace the rod bearings since you had a mix incident.
Old 05-12-2015 | 06:07 PM
Douglas G.
AutoX

"You'll want to replace the rod bearings since you had a mix incident."

The mix has less than 14 miles . . . I don't think it is necessarily to replace rod bearings.

I took the car out of storage last week. Checked the oil last September when I put it away, no evidence of a mix. Checked oil before starting first time last Thursday, no evidence of mix. . Started right up, pulled it out of the garage, washed it then went to do some errands. 14 miles down the road she died. Battery dead. Flatbedded it back home and put a charger on the battery. While waiting for battery to charge I started checking other things . . including the oil. That is when I noticed the brown oil/mix.

Seems I lucked out and caught the mix immediately. Not necessary to replace bearing. So . . I can thank the bad Voltage Regulator for saving the main/rod bearings . . little blessings are still blessings.

I still want to know if the oil in the throttle body boot is normal or excessive . . Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-12-2015 | 07:16 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

You may have issues with your air oil separator. Do you see any leaks around the o-rings?
Old 05-12-2015 | 08:34 PM
Douglas G.
AutoX

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
You may have issues with your air oil separator. Do you see any leaks around the o-rings?
Thank you Sir. I will investigate further . . . In my research I learned these engines do not have a PCV valve but an AOS . . thank you.

Starting to look like I need oil cooler ~and~ AOS seals . . .\
Old 05-12-2015 | 10:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
You may have issues with your air oil separator...
+1 as long as you don't see any oil in the coolant tank or any coolant on the dipstick, that is were I would look first. In fact if you get all the stuff removed to take a good look you might as well change the AOS seals wyit, easy and cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil . . . Source?