Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged 968 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:37 PM
jefffski
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharged 968 For Sale

There has been a supercharged 968 for sale on and off for some time (see http://www.tonygarcia.org/968_for_sale.html). Does anybody know anything about this car? I know at least a few people have considered it. Why hasn't it sold? I don't think because it is priced too high, but maybe. Or is it because of the HR Supercharger? For those few who have supercharged their 968s, with either HR or SFR kits, what's the verdict? Are you happy? I appreciate the input. I am looking to buy my first 968 and I am looking for reasons NOT too buy Tony Garcia's car, because it sounds pretty nice to me.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:56 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont' know Tony, but he's been around the list for awhile and from what I've read appears to be a person of integrity.

Can't ad anything about the car though.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:03 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

You may want to search the past forums and ask the same question over on www.968.net (there's a lot more 968-specific discussion over there) -- but if the car is still up for sale, I would suspect that it has something to do with the fact that most buyers prefer stock vehicles, it's a buyer's market out there, and there are at least two other supercharged 968s for sale these days (Eric Sandoval's gorgeous 968'S' and Trevor's Anderson Motorworks conversion). Recently, there was also a 968 Turbo RS that just sold to Paragon Products.

They are all sweet cars owned by 968 enthusiasts -- you can't go wrong.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:16 AM
jefffski
AutoX

Thanks. I didn't know Eric's was for sale.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:20 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Let us know here and over on 968.net if you end up being a proud owner of any one of these car -- just so we can be jealous of you
Old 09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
jefffski
AutoX

Thanks, I'm looking forward to joining the 968 family. For me, Tony's car really seems like the right fit, and I don't just mean the supercharger. Color, stereo, suspension, etc., all pretty much the way I would build it if I started with a stock car. However, still trying to figure out why it hasn't sold yet. I checked out Eric Sandoval's SFR Superchared 968"S", and it is obviously a very nice car. But for myself, I wanted a coupe. Trevors turbo 968 is also a consideration. But I think I'd prefer the low end torque of a supercharger. But whose to know for sure unless you test drive both. That's why I was looking to see if there was anyone out there who has some insight on these cars and/or their upgrades. I've search the posts here and at 968.net, but there's not much. Guess I'll just have to take a leap of faith. Ah, what the hell.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that Tony Garcia's car?

TIfo
Old 09-08-2003, 08:52 PM
josephsc
Race Car

I assume you've gone to 968.net and did a whole a load of searches on words like "Huntley Racing", "Tony Garcia", and so forth -- tons of info. You'll even find a dyno sheet and the orginal forsale post for that car in there.

One thing I noticed way way back was a discussion as to whether any of this would be smog-legal. Kinda makes me wonder what the final verdict was -- remember that these three cars are located in California where smog laws are a pain.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:10 AM
jefffski
AutoX

TIfo: Yeah, it is Tony's car.

josephsc: I have the same question. If it doesn't pass smog, then what do you do. I need a daily driver. I just wnat one with a little more umph.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:32 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Jeff -- sorry for sending you into the hornet's nest. I didn't think the 968.net crowd still had issues to deal with.

BTW, if keeping the AC is important, the SFR now has a solution for keeping the AC (though noone has done it to my knowledge). Can't remember about Trevor's Anderson Turbo-conversion.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Just my opinon but $21,000 for a 968 is high to begin with. 120,000 miles? And the motor is modified? Burns 1/2 quart every 4,000 miles? I dunno, price seams very high for that car. $15,000 would be a better starting point.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
jefffski
AutoX

I know it's high for a '92, but I would have to add in all the extras that are already on his car to any other one that I might get--suspension, stereo, wheels, rotors, etc. Not to mention, he has had a lot of the maintenance stuff done already. I did tell Tony though that I thought I would be missing out on a lot of the fun of accessorizing my car if I bought his. But let's face it, there's ALWAYS something we'd like to buy for or do to our cars. A lot of why I like Tony's car is it's the color combo I've been looking for--black with gray interior. And ofcourse...the supercharger. Hard to fight the desire for that. There are issues with the car--smogging being the big question--but where there's a will there's a way...hopefully. We shall see.

Thanks for the input guys.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2003, 05:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Very easy 100% guarantee way to get around the smog issue:

Move to Green Bay, WI.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 PM
josephsc
Race Car

But unfortunately, some of us don't look good with a cheese head hat on...

Going back to Tony's car, I would guess to replicate Tony's car, $12K for a '92 coupe with 120K in okay shape, $7000 for HR supercharger kit, $700 to upgrade wheels to cups, $400 sway bars, $1000 LSD -- so $21K seems like you get free labor and you know that the PO took great care of the car. If it's exactly how you'd like the car, I don't see why not. He's probably selling the car to move onto other projects so selling the car at cost is probably fine with him (usually you end up selling special project cars at below cost).

It really makes wonder why all three supercharged/turbocharged 968s in California are up for sale, however. Did you see the pictures of Eric's new bumpettes on 968.net? i could be wrong, since I'm not in California now, but aren't those expired plates? Ah, I should probably just them the question directly....
Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is up for sale for the right price...Not in any hurry to sell her any time soon. I have a new project that I am planning so when she sells... she sells.

Good eye on the plates I have plans to go to the DMV to take care of that tomorrow. The car IS registered and current. I was never sent stickers for my DD as the two cars are registered in the same month I just took the stickers from the 968. I dread going to the DMV.... I have to do it tomorrow, I don't want to drive the car without the sticker even though I have the registration... Anyway when smog comes due in California I have a couple options. It does have a Carb # that will be my first try. 2nd will be the out of state worker claim. 3rd bypass the supercharger with a smaller serpentine belt for the smog this will probably make most sense. I am not worried about it at all.... I have other options...

Here is my Bumperette Mod...

Quick Reply: Supercharged 968 For Sale