Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Randomly Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Speedometer Randomly Cuts Out

Originally the speedometer and odometer on my 85.2 944 were not working. I traced the cause to a burned resistor on the speedometer's breadboard and found that the odometer gear was bad. I ordered the Armworx speedometer rebuilt kit and a new odometer gear and rebuilt the speedometer. It worked great for about 500 miles and then the speedometer and odometer would randomly not work. They would cut out five or so minutes into my drive and a tap on the dash would sometimes bring them back and sometimes not. Sometimes I would just have to wait and they would come back on their own. Now that the weather is warmer, they do not work at all initially and after a few minutes of driving they will randomly come back after a tap on the dash. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this or has anyone else experienced the same issues and found a cause?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:29 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Originally the speedometer and odometer on my 85.2 944 were not working. I traced the cause to a burned resistor on the speedometer's breadboard and found that the odometer gear was bad. I ordered the Armworx speedometer rebuilt kit and a new odometer gear and rebuilt the speedometer. It worked great for about 500 miles and then the speedometer and odometer would randomly not work. They would cut out five or so minutes into my drive and a tap on the dash would sometimes bring them back and sometimes not. Sometimes I would just have to wait and they would come back on their own. Now that the weather is warmer, they do not work at all initially and after a few minutes of driving they will randomly come back after a tap on the dash. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this or has anyone else experienced the same issues and found a cause?
I'd recommend checking the connectors on the back of the gauge cluster and also the grounds throughout the car. See Clarks garage for the locations.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

I pulled the cluster and checked the connectors. Zero corrosion. But I cleaned them anyways and I cleaned the connections on the breadboard. I cleaned the speedometer itself again and I made sure everything was tight upon reinstall. I then cleaned the connector for the speed sensor on the trans as a precaution. It seems to work fine as of now but that could be subject to change.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '83, so might not be the same, but on the early cars the shaft the gear sits on is too long. Over time the gear can work itself loose or, as I experienced, the shaft has some free play. It moves back and forth, engaging and disengaging the gear. This happened to me with a new gear, usually when warmed up. I assume whatever lubricant is on the shaft became less viscous with heat and allowed the shaft move easier.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snb13
I have an '83, so might not be the same, but on the early cars the shaft the gear sits on is too long. Over time the gear can work itself loose or, as I experienced, the shaft has some free play. It moves back and forth, engaging and disengaging the gear. This happened to me with a new gear, usually when warmed up. I assume whatever lubricant is on the shaft became less viscous with heat and allowed the shaft move easier.
And before anyone else can post it...That's what she said.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:08 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Well so far so good. Took the car for a drive into town today and the speedometer did not cut out once. Hoping its fixed once and for all lol.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Randomly Cuts Out