Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating cabin

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 03:16 AM
derek_944x
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating cabin

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone here has experience with their 944 ever g getting overheated in the cabin?

I really feels as if the heater is turned on, but its not.

I just replaced the catalytic converter, and I put in a Mangaflo muffler. So, I know its not from the cat.

My temperature gauge is reading fine, just on the first bar all day. But I believe my engine is getting excessively hot within a few minute of driving.

The engine appears to run well. But is it possible my engine is getting overheated and transferring the heat into the cabin.

In fact, my floorboard get extremely hot too. And I have to take out my radio every so often to cool it down.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Derek
Old 09-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just the nature of these cars, both of my Porsches got pretty hot inside.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:34 AM
derek_944x
Track Day

I just discovered an earlier post with a similar question:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=86912

However, I don't know if this applies to me. But, it sounds right. I told my mechanic that it feels as if my heater is turned on, but the temp control is turned down.

I never really had this problem before, until this summer kicked in. I notice my car get extremely hot in hot weather. I'm talking Really Hot.

I thought maybe because I just had a new stereo installed it may also have been because of some faulty wiring. I asked a stereo shop and he said, maybe its grounded back to itself.

There are so many things to check out.

Derek
Old 09-07-2003, 03:41 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, mine does too. I think there is a fairly common problem with the vents always blowing just a little hot air into the cabin no matter what setting they are on, maybe that's part of it.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:53 AM
Water944t
Pro

There is a small plastic part, that holds a threaded rod. It is just behind the ignition switch, the easiest way to get to it is to flip yourself upside down and slide your head under the wheel, resting your back on the floorboard. (plus its cool to just check out all that stuff, you will find cool bits like: the cruise brain!)

The plastic part gets old and breaks, the rod holds the flap shut from the heater. No plastic part, no rod holding. Then you get that nasty oven effect. The part is like $2, easy fix.

You can also check the vacuum line directly behind the head. If you look closely you will see where the heater hose runs up to the core, there is a check valve on it, which must have the vacuum line attached to open/close. This line pops off a lot. There are several other ways to affect a more permanant fix, such as removing the heater core, plugging vacuum lines, and the old standby, pinching off the hose with vice grips.

YMMV
Old 09-07-2003, 04:08 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heater Clip?
Old 09-07-2003, 04:09 AM
944Play
Pro

Applicable to series II cars:
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=44&c=4

Derek, please put the year and model of your car in your signature.
GL!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Same problem.... will check it out tomorow!!!
Thanks for bringing this one to the surface...
Old 09-07-2003, 07:23 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Default Re: Over heating cabin

Originally posted by derek_944x

I would like to know if anyone here has experience with their 944 ever g getting overheated in the cabin?

I really feels as if the heater is turned on, but its not.

I just replaced the catalytic converter, and I put in a Mangaflo muffler. So, I know its not from the cat.

My temperature gauge is reading fine, just on the first bar all day. But I believe my engine is getting excessively hot within a few minute of driving.

The engine appears to run well. But is it possible my engine is getting overheated and transferring the heat into the cabin.

In fact, my floorboard get extremely hot too. And I have to take out my radio every so often to cool it down.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Chances are that the rubber gaitor where the gear lever fits into the console is missing or cracked allowing hot air inside the cabin.

The exhause runs almost directly under the this tunnel.

Also is/was there a heat sheild directly above the cat fitted to the body ? is this still there ?

I had problems with this but with my cat, (cats run a lot hotter than ordinary exhausts) so it should not be that hot for you. I also ended up removeing the cubby holder underneath the stereo and fitting a panal with a fan and some switch gear.

I think its a lousy area to put a stero, most cars I've had usuy had the stereo is where porsche have the heater controls

see my site for what I mean, goto Porsches section and technical FAQ, projects or sweet 16, for photos

www.playback.demon.co.uk

HTH
Old 09-07-2003, 08:55 AM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had a similar problem. My heater valve was stuck and would not move with the temp. switch. Just had to manually push it over.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:35 PM
derek_944x
Track Day

Default Heater Problems - '87 944

I had forgot to put in the vitals:

Its an '87 944 (8 valve) non-turbo, automatic.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

Heater clip is likely your answer. I lived in denial for over a year. Finally flipped upside down and took a look (per Paragon Tech Session description). Within 20 minutes, I was picking up the part at the dealer, installing it, and wondering why I waited so long for this simple fix.

As stated, much heat runs under that tunnel. The shifter area will get warm. If heat shields are missing, get them from a P-car wrecker and replace them. It's AMAZING what a little piece of metal shield will do by providing a reflective surface and appropriate airflow around key areas.

The big greenhouse on these cars doesn't help much either. They are hard to cool once heat-soaked in the sun. Also, anyone else notice how much you actually NEED the sunroof flipped up to get airflow in the car? Windows only is really not very effective in the 944.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:06 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I don't know exactly how they seal off an automatic shifter lever but that inner boot on the manual shifter being cracked probably wouldn't cause such a big heat problem as you have. I had my inner boot removed and the leather loose for a couple weeks this summer waiting for a new boot to come in and the heat wasn't all that much. Plus, having an automatic, your's probably isn't cracked all that bad since you are not going through gears all the time and flexing it.

I'd vote for the plastic heater clip or the water intake valve at the back of the motor. Check the vacuum line for that valve to make sure it is connected and pulling a vacuum. The failure mode for the valve is to go to wide open hot coolant if no vacuum. When mine failed I was roasting once the coolant got to operating temperature.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:17 PM
derek_944x
Track Day

I just finished looking under the dash and found the problem. I was told to check the heater clips and guess what...they Are broken.

Just so I knew it was the part I was looking at, I turned the heater on and discovered the wire is connected to a servo arm the rotates the wire to open and close something. At least I now know it is related to the heater. So, I am farely confident I am on the right track for now.

No offense to any of you who are small enough to get under the darn dash. I am 5'11" and 220lbs if this in not bad enough. I also have a bad lower back...boo hoo, on me. Anyway, unless you are a contortionist or just small I don't have a clue how I am going to get that cover back on the thing I just took off? Just so you know, taking it off is the easy part.

I guess I will be buying a couple heater clips from Paragon.

If this doesn't take care of the problem I guess I will look at the other item next as recommended by all of you guys.

Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions. I was really appreciated.

Last edited by derek_944x; 09-08-2003 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 164 Posts

This will work soooooo well, you'll stop using the A/C, trust me.

Quick Reply: Over heating cabin