Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 overheats/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 02:48 AM
albangod
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 overheats/won't start

I just bought an 83 944. It ran fine the first day and then it started blowing hot air from the vents. And you can't change the temperature. The Temp goes way high right close to the border between normal and extreme (next the the yelloy line). The problem is that if I shut it off and fire it right back up, it'll start. If I leave it for a few minutes it won't start until next morning (or the engine is cool). I got a brand new battery and water pump.
Any advise is really appreciated.
Pandeli
Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The climate control bracket behind the face plate has broken where the cable to the heater valve attaches. This is quite common with the early mode 944's.

You can stop the interior heating by removing the cable from the valve and forcing the lever on the valve all the way over. The valve is behind the top of the engine next to the firewall. A bit of a back bender to get to.

Engine over heating is caused by several things -- usually a bit of each in concert. Clogged radiator, partially opening thermostat, faulty fan temp switch or relay, non working fans (the three balded fans have a tendency to have the front bearing freeze). An improper coolent mix usually plays a minor part.

Your gauge could be even reading wrong due to a corroded wire on the sender or poor grounds between the engine and the chassis.

Read where some one found a Ford thermostat in the water pump!

P.S. When was the last time the timing belt was changed?
Old 09-05-2003, 04:05 AM
albangod
6th Gear

It was changed in january. Thanx a lot. This will hopefully help me fix my new baby.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:11 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Engine over heating is caused by several things -- usually a bit of each in concert. Clogged radiator, partially opening thermostat, faulty fan temp switch or relay, non working fans (the three balded fans have a tendency to have the front bearing freeze). An improper coolent mix usually plays a minor part.
Let's not forget the ever so popular, new and improved, air in the cooling system!!

Quick Reply: 944 overheats/won't start