Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers not working: wiper motor or power issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wipers not working: wiper motor or power issue?

One day the wipers stopped working, no grinding sound, no sound whatsoever when I turn on the wipers, regardless of speed setting.
A few minutes later they stated working again.
Then they shut off completely.
Before buying a new wiper motor, I want to make sure power is getting to the wiper motor. The 30A fuse is not blown.
Anyone use this type of multimeter to diagnose this? Also note that the power source of the wiper motor is coming from a module where the red arrow is pointing.
Any help is appreciated
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Dear Quickie: unplug the motor from the harness, turn the wiper on, ground one side of the meter and start checking the pins for DC voltage. if it is on a regular setting, not intermittent, you should see constant voltage..If it is on intermittent, you should see the voltage fluctuate when the circuit is energized.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our cars it's typically the stalk that is the problem. Remove the steering wheel and clean the entire stalk assembly. Usually that will take care of it.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

I tried to take the wiper/turn signal marker off the steering wheel but couldnt figure it out quickly so i only removed the white wiper wire cluster from the stalk, sprayed electronics cleaner into the holes of the white module along with the pins extending out of the stalk still connected to the steering column.
Nothing really appeared dirty but i shoved the white module cluster back in securely and the motor runs now.
I fear this turning out to be a temporary solution though.
My question is this: similar to an ignition module bypass, what wires can i manually connect to facilitate powering the wiper motor?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
I tried to take the wiper/turn signal marker off the steering wheel but couldnt figure it out quickly so i only removed the white wiper wire cluster from the stalk, sprayed electronics cleaner into the holes of the white module along with the pins extending out of the stalk still connected to the steering column.
Nothing really appeared dirty but i shoved the white module cluster back in securely and the motor runs now.
I fear this turning out to be a temporary solution though.
My question is this: similar to an ignition module bypass, what wires can i manually connect to facilitate powering the wiper motor?
Just find a used stalk assembly instead of hacking it up. Last one cost me $70. New they are 260.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arominus
Just find a used stalk assembly instead of hacking it up. Last one cost me $70. New they are 260.
I would do that if I knew for certain it was the stalk. If I properly connected the wires and was able to get the wiper motor working that way then I would know it's the stalk and buy a new/used one.

I may do it anyway since I haven't found any diagram or posting that tells me how to properly connect the wires independent of the stalk
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

The internals of the wiper drive have contacts that park the arm after the cycle has completed. These contacts, like the AFM, wear and sometimes need to be cleaned.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

The wiper motor works when dry but as the rain comes down, it stops working (when I need it).

The guys at the Indy shop thinks it's the moisture in the air that is compromising the exposed connections to the motor.

Can anyone recommend a waterproof version of RTV Clear or similar product that I can apply (preferably via spraying) to the connections that will:

a) seal them from any moisture and
b) still allow electricity to be conducted

Thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 05:42 PM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
The wiper motor works when dry but as the rain comes down, it stops working (when I need it).

The guys at the Indy shop thinks it's the moisture in the air that is compromising the exposed connections to the motor.

Can anyone recommend a waterproof version of RTV Clear or similar product that I can apply (preferably via spraying) to the connections that will:

a) seal them from any moisture and
b) still allow electricity to be conducted

Thanks
This might be your only chance to use WD40 for what it was originally formulated to do.

Quick Reply: Wipers not working: wiper motor or power issue?