Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The KC Wrenching Society, redux

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default The KC Wrenching Society, redux

Figured I would start a new post so that interested folks don't have to read through two pages of drivel...

Start around 10:00am at my place, garage space, tools and all the free advice you can handle will be provided. If you want refreshments, please bring them. Call me at 785-865-3435 for directions.

Around noon, we will (hopefully) be finishing up, and then we will take a cruise, ending around 1:00 at a restaurant somewhere, to boast about the experience and talk cars.

J_oberly had a great idea in documenting our "club" events on a web page. I will let him decide if he wants to post the url for the demo page he set up, but I think it looks good.

I hope this is the start of creating a real "Rennlist Regional Group" and that we keep it going and growing! John D, I hope you don't mind us doing this, and I hope other areas will do the same thing. Major kudo's to the Ohio Rennlisters, as they were my inspiration...

Regards,
Old 09-06-2003, 12:00 AM
j_overly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"J_oberly" (Jim) Overly.. talk to him once on the phone and he is already dissing me ;-)

I registered kcws.org and am looking for a hosting provider right now. I may just host it here for a while (cable modem) and keep renewing my lease on the IP before it expires (local cable hasn't figured this trick out yet) and may see if it is just cheaper to get a static IP and throw a box on here. It would definitely give us more control over what we could do with the site (ASP, PHP...).

I am just planning on linking to Rennlist for any and all web board functions. This is a great site and no sense trying to re-invent the wheel when you have the whole car already here. Besides this is such a great service, the more traffic (and hopefully subscribers) I can push here the better.

I would just like a place we can post upcoming projects, pics, contact info and so on. We will see how this plays out and what interest there is in this. I don't think the site is worth looking at yet, but may have the domain and a shell up by the end of the weekend.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:42 AM
User 41221
Banned

lol... Its Friday night and I am sitting in front of the computer (yeah, I know... "no life") and the pain meds are kicking in, and I have to type accurately too? sheesh... have you seen how close those keys are? :P

Okay, we (will) have a web site AND sponsors... shall we go for a logo, too?

John D... thanks for making this possible! This is just one more example of the community you gave us.

Regards,
Old 09-06-2003, 03:29 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's this for a logo?

BTW... The first one to point out that it's a Standard size gets a shoe in the ***. It's past my bed time and I forgot to change it to Metric.

I suppose I could host the site if there's no where else for it. I could set the back end up, but I don't want to be the one to maintain it. I have PHP and MySQL if need be, and FTP for access. Also I have my own mail sever so it's possible to have addresses@kcws.org as well. Just as long as the site doesn't steal all my bandwidth...because I'm on cable as well and I have other sites to keep up. But I doubt the site would bring very much traffic...as long as there aren't 1 meg pictures and the such on there.

Anyways enjoy the logo.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2003, 03:32 AM
User 41221
Banned

Been playing with Photoshop, Steve? I loved the daisey wheels on the PepperPot...

Any chance of making it over tomorrow...um, er... in about 8 hours? lol

Regards,
Old 09-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

No can do tomorrow morning. I'll actually be doing a solo maintenance party in my garage. I get to change the oil in my 944, my Explorer, and also my g/f's Acura. Then after all that I need to address some issues with the Explorer's engine bay. Then if I feel like it I need to get some nit picky stuff fixed on the 944, etc. I just need to get some things knocked off the list so to speak.

I don't work in a car shop...but sometimes it feels like I should be wearing a mechanics uniform. At least I got a girlie picture up in the garage and use cuss words a lot.

Ya...that Photoshop is pretty handy. It's good for putting daisy wheels on Cayennes. What I really wanted to find was a picture of those teddy bear wheels to put on there.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:15 AM
j_overly
Instructor

Steve,

Do you think you could support PHP-Nuke? It sounds like you have the sructure in place already. Other suggestions? I am not stuck on any one package. I run some ASP, PHP/MySql on a few Intranet sites.

I don't mind managing the content/layout. Let me set some things up here first and risk blowing up my own PC rather than affecting other sites. I'll let you know what I am looking at and you can decide if you want to support it or not.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:26 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

This will be sweet! Can't wait to see it up! I use a web hosting service for mine and it costs me like $5/month. It's 4D webhosting. I don't know as much about it as you all, but I just thought I'd share. My site is http://www.boxdoc.com Click on "Personal Page" (it's not dirty!) and toward the bottom are pics of my P car. I'll have to get a p-caronline site set up sometime! Cya.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

PHP-Nuke is a pretty good portal. In fact I run it for my own personal site. See the marsmonkey link below. It's got forums and I added a fully intergrated Coppermine photo album.

Just let me know what you want to do.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:30 AM
j_overly
Instructor

Let's do it. I am on the road for the better part of the week, but can spend some time on this late this week. Scott has some pictures to get us started.

The domain name has been registered, do you handle your own DNS? If so and you can setup a record for this, just PM me the DNS servers and IPs and I will submit a change request with Network Solutions.

I haven't run Nuke before, but it looks fairly straightforward and since you already run it, hopefully it won't take up too much of your time to setup. We can always talk about the details Saturday (assuming we both make it).
Old 09-10-2003, 10:46 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this an every week thing? I've been without e-mail/internet for about a week...it's been killing me.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been without email and internet for a week?!?! I didn't know that was possible.

I believe this is an every week deal.

The web site, www.kcws.org is online. However some may not be able to get to the site yet as the name change has not made it's way around to all of the servers on the internet. Within a day or two it should be up everwhere.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
User 41221
Banned

Yep, we are shooting for a regular gathering. Unless the pain meds have gotten the best of me, I believe that KC PCA is hosting a DE at Heartland Park this weekend. I was thinking (yeah, I know... "first time?" spare me...) that it might be fun to cruise out there on Sunday for the "parade laps". Ben and Steve, I know you guys would enjoy the heck out of that, and hopefully, my back will hold up okay as well.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Quick Reply: The KC Wrenching Society, redux