Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARRRRG! Porsche Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:46 AM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRRRG! Porsche Dealer!

Hey all, well I decided to push it up to the dealer to get the engine checked out to see if its the oil seal, headgasket, or cracked block.

I called the dealer twice to make an appointment! First of all, the Porsche dealer in Tinley is also a Ford dealer, so when you call for service you are automatically sent to Ford service department. Not knowing this, I started to explain the problem, and when I said I had a 944, he stopped me and said "You need to dial the extension for the Porsche service".

So I dialed for this Porsche service, expecting to get a service department, instead I get some guy's voicemail. After leaving a message along with my work # AND cell #, I would expect him to call me back within an hour or so.

Nope. I call again and I'm once again sent to Ford service, then dial the extension, then get his voicemail again.

This was Wednesday, and he still hasn't called me back! It would have been nice to get the Porsche fixed for the weekend, but its not looking like it now!

ARRRG! I hate this dealer crap. These dumbasses are probably like "What's a 944? Is that like a Boxster or something?"

I'm going to call again right now...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:02 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs down Re: ARRRRG! Porsche Dealer!

Originally posted by SigAlphAdam
ARRRG! I hate this dealer crap. These dumbasses are probably like "What's a 944? Is that like a Boxster or something?"
I'm going to call again right now...
If I were you look for another shop quickly. Forget that this dealer ever existed.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

This dealer is just down the block, so we're just gonna push the 944 up with my dad's Grand Cherokee. But now I AM strongly considering paying for the tow to my usual shop.

By the way i just left another message!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:15 PM
identity crisis
Instructor

Doesn't sound to me like they want your business very much. With that kind of (lack of) customer service, I think you'd be happier and better off int eh long run paying for the tow to take it somewhere reputable or that you are comfortable with. In addition, if it makes you feel better, call that dealership and ask to speak with the manager and let him know the problems you had. I'm sure he'd like to know that his employees are losing business for him from their lack of common courtesy.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:18 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call them up and tell them you have a 996TT and than we'll see if they call you back.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:35 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold on, you are pushing it with the Jeep? What are you pushing on? The rear rubber bumperettes are white under the outer black coating so that isn't going to look so good when you scrub that off. Not to mention the bumper itself when you scrape that.

Pull it with a rope.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

We're gonna put some towels on the bumper of the Jeep, but the rope is a good thought too.

Well I called again and this time I went to the Ford service and told them what was going on. Turns out that this goombah is ON VACATION! So after holding for 10 minutes for his substitute, I finally get a hold of this guy and tell him the problem. He thinks it is probably the headgasket, and says he can look at it ON MONDAY for $100!

My usual guy will do this for free, and the tow will probably be less than $100.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You should get it to your usual guy for sure, you know the dealer will rape you!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Gary
Instructor

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
You should get it to your usual guy for sure, you know the dealer will rape you!
Fact of Life - Dealers don't want to know about 924's/944's. They're history as far as Porsche is concerned - try looking at a Porsche boutique at a motor show or dealer. They have all the little "accessories", books, models, caps, pens, lighters etc. covering everything air-cooled (speedsters, 912's etc. etc.) plus all recent models but NOTHING on our cars.

Fact is that most current dealer mechanics are post 944 era, are trained on current models only and would be no better than aftermarket techs anyway (the only exception being the guarantee and the size of the bill to pay for said guarantee).

Regards,

Gary.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:16 PM
RussRPJ
Advanced

Been there too. Only one dealer in my entire state, and they know it. Charge anything they want, and take their sweet time doing repairs. Forget customer service, no callbacks, repair guy is always on vacation or at lunch. Worst of all, I think the manager knows it and really doesn't care. He's got a monopoly, right? Well, I found a local shop that does good work on basic repairs on german cars, so the hell with that bunch! I wonder is Porsche has some central quality assurance place or better business bureau you could contact about crappy dealers? I'd turn those jackasses in!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:19 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Hmmm...I think you guys are starting to change my mind. Screw the dealer! (hehe isn't that a drinking game?)

I think i'm gonna call the tow company now....
Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SigAlphAdam
Hmmm...I think you guys are starting to change my mind. Screw the dealer! (hehe isn't that a drinking game?)

I think i'm gonna call the tow company now....
It'll save you money.

Quick Reply: ARRRRG! Porsche Dealer!