Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to tear down my trans. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I want to tear down my trans. Please help.

I got it (85.5 5 speed) out using the Haynes Manual but it has no mention of the internal workings.

I'm trying to find a factory manual download but am having no luck. I've searched here and on Yahoo.

If someone can help me, please email me at rcrane4@peoplepc.com. Please do not post any links here to anything proprietary.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Please help.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:50 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on google:

vol3-chassis

You'll find pdf files with the workshop manuals
Old 09-05-2003, 08:33 PM
944J
Banned

Id like to do this tooo...
Old 09-05-2003, 08:39 PM
944J
Banned

what exactly is this manual?
Old 09-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here we go again..............why do you want to tear apart your trannys?
Old 09-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks 944Targa-fan, I found Rick's Cars site with all the good pdfs.

Chris Prack, I need the info to replace synchros on 1 and 2 gear, as well as possibly install a Quaife LSD. All of this work is wayyyy off in the future, definitely not this year, but I get all the info I can and store it for future reference.

Sam
Old 09-05-2003, 11:49 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Factory manual on transmissions and about $5,000 worth of jigs and press fixtures and gauges.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Thanks Targa Fan!

I need to open her up to see if I can find the source of the whinning sound I get on deccel.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:20 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

LOL, the great mystery.. The transaxle.. The magical area of the car.. This is not true. The factory manual is great for this. I put in a ring and pinion. Yes you need a press. But unless you are going to redo the inner races of the thrust bearings and replace them. There is no need to have gauges. The manual says so. for just synchros it is fine. Same shafts same bearing surfaces. I put in a new ring and pinion.. all measured the same. no problems so far.. One suggestion, read the PDF all the way thru before you start. The biggest problem is understanding the shifter mechanism in the tranny itself.. Pay special attention to the fork rods removal procedure and do not lose the detents... These exist between the rods in the rear of the case... these have to do with the actual shifting of the tranny.. I lost one of the bullet shaped pieces and had to make one.. Once I was done though it seemed simple enough to understand.. IT was lost durring dissasembly because i did not fully understand what I was looking at. Mark everything and put all small parts in bags.. read the reassembley procedures and understand them before you start.. These help a lot more in the disassemble faze. (thus the lost detent never even knew it was gone). Good luck and the worst case you get to buy a new transaxle later... Like everyone here likes to tout. IF you can take things apart with directions it is unlikley though..

Edit, My biggest problem was getting frustrated with out under standing the detents in the shifter fork shafts and trying to pound them out and mushrooming the ends and this will not allow reassembly.. with our refinnishing the ends with a file.. So NO beating on the shifter shafts.. good luck..
Old 09-06-2003, 02:06 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To replace the synchros, I agree, no special tools.
As for the ring and pinion..well, yes at home you could just install another one and hope it's ok. A shop is not going to do that as a warranty has to be given.

Bearing in mind that the ring and pinion problems the Audi-based 944 trans were prone to I would not want to install the expensive new ring and pinon and just hope it's ok.

It's not having the manuals; knowing and understanding the parts you are looking at and replacing correctly any worn items makes a successful repair.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:38 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Then there is the scrubing to remove the smell of the trans lube from you and your clothes!

Yes there are a few replacements you can get away with. Still you need to set the proper backlash and clearences as you reassemble.

Not anywhere as easy as the Chevy three speeds I kept blowing in my 55 wagon -- and a few differentials.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 09-06-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Quickbeam
Advanced

Well, I never was able to look at the pdf for the trans. I did go staright to the chassis section and proceeded to crash my computer. I have experience with VW transaxles so I just went for it with out the manual.

I was able to get it apart with out damaging anything. Man those are crazy detents.

It turns out I have a broken tooth on the mainshaft. I'm really suprised the broken off part didn't tear anything else up. The tranny is in good shape other wise. I'm very glad the limited slip differential wasn't damaged.

I'm probably better off just getting a new used tranny. My chances of buying just a main shaft with the matching gear/gears is probably slim. The olny dilema is what to do with the lsd. I could sell it to cover the expense of the new tranny or I could try to install it in the new tranny.

Quick Reply: I want to tear down my trans. Please help.