Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy starter brushes / parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:12 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Where to buy starter brushes / parts?

Hello,

I wanted to buy a new set of brushes (one of the four looks really worn), and these rubber bushing parts (3 total, see picture below) for my starter.

Any recommendation for a good source? Just trying to avoid driving all over town to find someone willing to sell me the parts.

Thanks!

-Kevin
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2003, 12:13 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

BTW, the 3 rubber bushing parts go here (one installed, just above the screwdriver, on the plastic housing of the gearset).
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2003, 12:28 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the pet has a part # for those. An electric motor rebuilder should have them .Check the y pages.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

IceShark has some good sources for hard-to-find electrical parts, hopefully he'll be able to help you.

Sam
Old 09-05-2003, 12:35 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheres Iceshark ? pet does not have brush kit listed.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:06 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here I am.

I could probably chase them down but have no clue what they would cost. These are going to be tough for a retail customer to get, like impossible if you don't have a contact. It might be easier to just go to a local rebuilder and ask them to put new ones in. If the rebuilder is big, both of us will likely be buying from the same supplier.

If the price turns out to be too heavy locally let me know and I will see what they cost and have a set dropped shipped to you.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:14 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by IceShark
Here I am.

I could probably chase them down but have no clue what they would cost. These are going to be tough for a retail customer to get, like impossible if you don't have a contact. It might be easier to just go to a local rebuilder and ask them to put new ones in. If the rebuilder is big, both of us will likely be buying from the same supplier.

If the price turns out to be too heavy locally let me know and I will see what they cost and have a set dropped shipped to you.
I found a set of brushes on the internet for another bosch starter (not a SR39X) for about $8.99.

http://www22.inetba.com/larrysoffroa...ody_bosch.html

Don't know on the bushings. Every starter I've opened has had these bushings cracked/split.

What's your opinion, would someone be offended if I just brought in the brush assembly, asked for new ones to be soldered in? I could solder these in myself as well (not a big deal for me).

I ordered a remanufactured starter, but while I'm waiting for it, I thought I would take this one apart to see what's wrong with it. Doesn't have to be a perfect rebuild, just looking to make myself a backup starter in a pinch.

Probably the shorting in my starter was due to the buildup of brush material/grease which made a nice sludge throughout the starter housing. I cleaned it all out with Brakleen. I need to clean up the copper part where the brushes contact, and also clean up the starter solenoid plunger.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2003, 01:31 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Just take it to a local rebuilder if they are that cheap. If he wants to charge you too much, just say no. It is going to cost 5 bucks to ship just one set so see what the locals have to say.

How much did the rebuilt cost you?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:38 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by IceShark
Just take it to a local rebuilder if they are that cheap. If he wants to charge you too much, just say no. It is going to cost 5 bucks to ship just one set so see what the locals have to say.

How much did the rebuilt cost you?
Agreed, there are two places in Escondido I will try tomorrow morning before work.

Well, supposedly the unit I ordered is "remanufactured". That probaby just means one more coat of spray paint than a "rebuilt" unit.

Supposed to be $135, shipping included. $90 for core charge. Assuming it ever gets here (from Canada!).

-Kevin
Old 09-05-2003, 01:47 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

135 with shipping is a good price, Kevin. If they did a good job rebuilding.

I've been toying with going to the ERA North American trade show next week just to see how these guys operate and price. It is down in Kansas City so with airfare, hotel, etc., it really isn't worth it for someone with just curiosity to get Rennlisters good parts and prices.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:00 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am taking a chance paying that little. That's why I'm looking for another core to send back to them, so I can keep the starter I have.

Agreed on taking the trip to KC, Unless you think you might find an interesting business opportunity, or want to see KC for some other reason, the returns may not justify the expense. Maybe you could write off the trip, though.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:29 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Well, they do have good steak and Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:15 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

I got a set of brushes for $12.42 (including tax) from North County Rebuilders in Escondido. You can find them in the yellow pages under the Automobile Electrical section.

They do a lot of truck and restoration starter/alternator rebuilds, and not really this stuff.

The proprietor was fairly helpful, he asked if I did this profesionally (I brought in the entire dismantled starter in a box just in case). If so, he would have told me who his supplier was so that I could call to buy the bushings. That's a part he does not stock or have a part number for.

So, I will probably turn around my bushings (flip them over) and re-use them. Will post pictures of the rebuild late tonight!!!

-Kevin

Quick Reply: Where to buy starter brushes / parts?