Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch change, or who wants to by my buddy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003 | 11:08 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're going to need help moving that torque tube. For the moment, there's a lot you can do by yourself at the bell housing. Get that back in place, and get your sensors and ground wire reconnected. I left the ground wire connection at the bellhousing, so you can see the kind of connector you need to replace on that wire we snipped. You can get a lot done in one evening and not need a lot of help. As soon as you're ready to move that tt back, I'd like to be there.

I've got your cell #. If I have to work, I can ring you to let you know.
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:10 AM
Matt H
Race Director

So when are you guys coming up here?
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:20 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt H
So when are you guys coming up here?
Texas Grease Slingers. Have tools, will travel.
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:28 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Too bad this state is so damn big! I will call on more help to fix the problems, I can remove it myself, I think.
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:32 AM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Going good

Kevin sounds like you’re just ahead of Alos and I on your clutch situation. We are all out and ready to start the reassembly. Man I wish your had replaced that throw out bearing. I believe it is what made to some extent this clutch completely go south “No offence intended”, this one fell out in chunks as well. I am going to spend about an hour a night working on cleaning up the existing parts that are going g back in and pre assembling the pressure plate and fitting everything for next Saturdays effort. I hope I can get as much help as you seem to have assisting me next weekend.

Am I right in hearing that you did not remove your fly wheel at all? Did you clean it up before reassembly and what did your do to knock off the shinny surface? Alos and I are having the fly wheel resurfaced Friday morning and will reinstall it back into the car Saturday morning along with everything else. At least that is the plan. How about that damn bell housing, what a PITA that was to remove.

I do have one question and that is what you used for shims on the throw out bearing. I did not see any on this one when it came apart yet I thought all of them where in stalled using these “shims” to one extent or another. BTW this was not the fist time some one had been in here so it wouldn’t surprise me if they where missing just because of this.

Well in any case, good luck, sounds like things are under control over there and here we are just hoping for good weather to work with on Saturday.

Later

TaboII
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:24 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

REAR MAIN SEAL!!! - replace that $16 item NOW while you have it apart, same with the $15 throw out bearing guide sleeve. It's well worth changing these 2 items while you are in there. Same for the flywheel and pressure plate bolts - check the paragon site for all the parts with PN's and prices for everything that can be replaced while you are in there.

I'm having a leaky rear main seal changed under warranty today on a 968 cab - dealer warranty repair. That's a $1100 / 15 hour job for a $16 part. Do the math.

Good luck guys!
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:28 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Exactly

I couldent agree with you more Randy... All of these are being replaced on Alos's car already. Again Kevin I have to encourage you to replace these parts but I am not trying to rib you any if you decide not to. Good luck.

TaboII
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Thats why my motor is coming out. To replace seals.
Old 09-08-2003 | 12:37 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

OK OK I've got the damn rear main seal, and the pilot bearing. I did replace the TO bearing, my SACHS kit didnt have the retainer or spacers or the snap ring, so I re-used the old parts.

I just have the clutch and p-plate on so it easy to go back. I just don't want to pull that damn flywheel.

BAP is getting the bearings for the clutch fork so I'll replace them too.
I love local parts stores!
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:02 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, ya better do it now. If you develop a leak two months from now 'cuz you didn't do the rear main, I might become scarce.

While you're spending money, seriously consider those axles. Those cv joints are so loose, if you push your luck much further I'm thinking you'll be calling your tow truck buddy again. Those cv's have been repacked once, those are not original boots.
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Kevin, isnt is nice when others are so eager to spend your money?
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:20 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I was telling him to replace his rotors too.

The axles really are iffy. I forgot to look at James' when I did his filter, but Kevin's are the loosest I've ever seen. They've been repacked once, it's possible they're original.

Y'all remember that bearing race I showed you a couple weeks ago? I bet his look similar.

Like the commercial: Pay the parts guy now, or the tow truck guy later.

Oh I almost forgot: his motor mounts are pretty shot too. There is no money pit like a porsche.
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Used to be my slogan, Pay me now OR Pay me later :>)))) Wont know about the rest of the 951 until I pull off the shields etc this evening. Gotta go get some more tools, I missing some from the move.
Old 09-08-2003 | 03:17 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

My CV's seem to be OK, now. When I was over at ProTecnik the other week, we checked them. The outside drivers side was missing a bolt. Upon further inspection we saw that all of the other bolts were loose,,real loose,,about to fall out loose!!!! Replaced the missing one, and retorqued the others. Pulled both apart prior and checked them, full of grease and no torn boots.

They will probably fail within a month

Matt had mentioned that he safety wired his.

The mechanic had also mentioned that my shift fork was not properly lubricated at some point during a clutch job, and that was/is causing a slight "jerkiness" when riding the clutch in traffic at low RPM's.

We is in Baltimore, getting ready to go have crab cakes. Be back tomorrow morning. I'll get some rest and be over when ya get home from work if you're ready for some more help.
Old 09-08-2003 | 03:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

James are you going to be free for dinner next monday night the 15th?

Quick Reply: Clutch change, or who wants to by my buddy?