Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch change, or who wants to by my buddy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update 9:30 pm (taking a break after eating dinner) Brian just left, thanks man, I would have been lost with out your help. James, thanks again so much for helping me "get off the ground" with this project!

OK tranny is out, when it is in gear and spin the propshaft, the drive flanges turn, so the diff's OK? right?

We are having trouble getting the torque tube back far enought to remove the bell housing and clutch. I read somewhere about turning it 90 to clear the ears on the tube. Is that correct, what about the shift rod up top?

I'll be back in the garage in a bit to work on the bellhousing bolts.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kevin,

Becki has tomorrow off, but she wouldn't let me live it down if I left you with your car resembling an exploded-view diagram of a drivetrain.

I'll be up to (hopefully) finish up tomorrow. We've got to re-do that jackstand arrangement before jostling that tranny back in.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:34 AM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted the procedure for you earlier in this thread.

cheers
Lance
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin
It is more like 180 degrees to get the torque tube back far enough. The transmission housing must go all the way back to the spare tire well.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Pete, how the hell do you turn it enough to move it back?
Old 09-07-2003, 07:25 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Kevin
Tried replying earlier...you just have to wrassle the tt back.. I think we rotated it about 180 degrees, and it ended up right against the spare tire well. That just gave us enough room to get the bell housing off.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:39 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Kevin,,Brian,,

How's it going?????? Just got into NYC. Have to be back to airport @ 0600 EST....

James
Old 09-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PeteL
Kevin
Tried replying earlier...you just have to wrassle the tt back.. I think we rotated it about 180 degrees, and it ended up right against the spare tire well. That just gave us enough room to get the bell housing off.
yep, that's what you do.... "wrassle"
Old 09-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was a little more difficult today. We had one pin and one bolt hold us up awhile. We got it fully apart (finally), and he was at the first steps of re-assembly, when I had to bail. There are a couple bearings he may replace before bolting anything else together. The stores that were open today didn't have what he needed.

He's going to need more help as he goes. I'll try to come up as work allows this week. I know it'll be an "every night until it's done" thing for him. If he manages to get the bearings tomorrow, it could ideally be done in one evening. At our rate of work, more likely two.

I hadn't noticed, but his neighbors pulled out the lawn chairs and were sitting in their driveway just watching us. It was that, or they were mesmerized by my shiny red car.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:53 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

I get back Tuesday @ 9:00am. Can help how/when ever, if your still going at it.

Excellent way to recoup some money.
I hadn't noticed, but his neighbors pulled out the lawn chairs and were sitting in their driveway just watching us. It was that, or they were mesmerized by my shiny red car.
SELL TICKETS....
Old 09-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Kevin noticed first, and made some remark about charging admission. It wasn't too much later curiosity got the best of the neighbor, and he had to come over and poke his head underneath to see what we were doing with that "porsh".
Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I'm going to replace the release fork bearings before I start putting her all back together.

James, give me a call when you get back in town. I'll try to have everything except the transmission back together by Wed, or Thur, maybe you and/or Brian could come up and help put that transmission back.

Brian, again, man thank you so much for the help, I seriously would not have been able to get ANY of this done without your help. I can't thank you enough.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:08 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Kevin
How did the clutch look? Was it the original rubber center?
Pete
Old 09-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Oh yeah, the rubber center clutch was TOAST! We think that the clutch had been replaced, because it was not virgin territory. I mean it had been apart before. But, the 'limp home' mode was definatly gone, the little 3 eared plate fell off in my hands as the clutch pack came off the flywheel. You could completly turn the friction plate around the center. It was ugly!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't noticed, but his neighbors pulled out the lawn chairs and were sitting in their driveway just watching us. It was that, or they were mesmerized by my shiny red car
The Pi Phi's that lived next to me used to do the same thing on a routing basis. One weekend I gave one of them the keys, I thought she was going to die. She tells her friend on the phone, I have the keys to a Porsche, OH MY GOD!

NICE, VERY NICE.

Look forward to seeing you guys next week. Got most of the top of the motor done, just have to do the work underneath to get it loose, going to pick up a hoist this afternoon. BTW where did you put the stands? I am finding more "home fixes" than I thought. Cant wait to wrestle with the exhaust!

Quick Reply: Clutch change, or who wants to by my buddy?