Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
jagdhund
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotor Advice

Hello, I have an all original 944s2 in need of new pads/rotors. I have done one HPDE event with the car and had organic pads on which quickly "burned" up. I need to replace the brakes now and am looking to slightly upgrade.

I'm not looking for top of the line braking performance, just want to avoid brake fade and excessive wear from heavy braking on the track, but still have them usable in cold temperatures. I have already purchased EBC yellowstuff for the fronts (maybe not the best choice). Now I need to get front rotors (and maybe brakes for the back) but don't want to break the bank.

So, I have 2 questions.
First, should I get cross drilled and slotted or will normal rotors paired with those pads avoid excessive wear and fading?
Second, does brand of rotors matter much? I cant find any napa/o'reilly locally but found options off amazon.

I believe zimmermann was the OEM brand.
Here are their cross drilled http://amzn.com/B00449DQUE
and their standard http://amzn.com/B0073VAU68
and for the same price, centric/stoptech cross drilled http://amzn.com/B008CRDQMW

So, any brand recommendations, or ideas as to regular or cross drilled/slotted rotors?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm happy with Zimmerman rotors. I don't think you should go with cross drilled.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Zimmermann crossed drilled rotors (3 years now) and they're great. But I don't track.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebro

I had Zimmerman cross-drilled for years with only a few track days - and was very happy. I changed to PBR metalmasters and was completed disappointed with the feel and effectiveness.
This winter, I switched the Zimmerman's out for Sebro (non cross drilled or slotted) and new pagid pads. My car is not out of winter storage yet but I'm very eager to try them out.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah, don't get cross-drilled rotors. Every one I have seen at the track developed cracks.

You're going to want a full racing pad like Hawk or PFC. I haven't seen anyone succeed with with an aggressive street pad or one of those half-street half-race type pads. When you're a beginner you tend to over-use the brakes, which makes things worse.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Look up Chris Whaley at LC Motorsports ...
He made a nice set of slotted rotors for my race car,still like new after a full season !

Running Hawk Blue pads,more brakes than I need although they may be a little much for the streeet

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jagdhund
Hello, I have an all original 944s2 in need of new pads/rotors. I have done one HPDE event with the car and had organic pads on which quickly "burned" up. I need to replace the brakes now and am looking to slightly upgrade.

I'm not looking for top of the line braking performance, just want to avoid brake fade and excessive wear from heavy braking on the track, but still have them usable in cold temperatures. I have already purchased EBC yellowstuff for the fronts (maybe not the best choice). Now I need to get front rotors (and maybe brakes for the back) but don't want to break the bank.

So, I have 2 questions.
First, should I get cross drilled and slotted or will normal rotors paired with those pads avoid excessive wear and fading?
Second, does brand of rotors matter much? I cant find any napa/o'reilly locally but found options off amazon.

I believe zimmermann was the OEM brand.
Here are their cross drilled http://amzn.com/B00449DQUE
and their standard http://amzn.com/B0073VAU68
and for the same price, centric/stoptech cross drilled http://amzn.com/B008CRDQMW

So, any brand recommendations, or ideas as to regular or cross drilled/slotted rotors?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
OE discs from Porsche are better than "OEM" Zimmerman discs. There are multiple differences in design, material, manufacturing, quality, even down to the way they are balanced. OE discs last 50% longer than Zimmerman.

The same applies to brake pads. The genuine Porsche pads are noticeably better than the "OEM" pads.

I'm using OE (Porsche) discs with Pagid S pads. Also using the 968 brake scoops which are a big improvement on the S2 scoops. Fade not a problem with this setup.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running normal zimmermans here, don't do crossdrilled or slots, that reduces the braking area on the rotor. Get a real track pad for track days and run something more streetable for Daily driving.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 AM
jagdhund
Advanced

I did a lot of research on pads. From what I was reading aramid pads seemed to be exactly what I was wanting. Steady performance when hot or cold, and good wear and heat resistance. Maybe I just bought into the hype, but too late now already got them. I will have too see how they do.

I didn't know much about rotors though and was wondering if crossdrilled and slotted effected fade/cooling, or was just for increased "bite". Also, I was kind of under the impression brand of rotors didn't matter much since they are all the same materiel.

I think I will go with normal Zimmermann's and see how they do
Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 AM
jagdhund
Advanced

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Look up Chris Whaley at LC Motorsports ...
He made a nice set of slotted rotors for my race car,still like new after a full season !
Does he have a website? all I could find was a facebook page and mention on these forums.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 AM
riziuebru
4th Gear

I changed to PBR metalmasters and was completed disappointed with the feel and effectiveness.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

I used Meyle rotors that I ordered from ECSTuning (I am also a VW guy) with a set of Pagid "OE"-type pads. For autocross and street work they feel great, granted autocross can't generate the abuse on brakes that a road course can though I have had consistent brake performance in co-driving 8 runs each in a 90*F day, at near the tire limit (mild ABS and recorded near 1G decel on street tires). YMMV.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I'm happy with Zimmerman rotors. I don't think you should go with cross drilled.
2nd
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jagdhund
Does he have a website? all I could find was a facebook page and mention on these forums.
Chris Whaley
(aka: CWhaley)
LC MotorSports
Motorsports Products & Services
chris@merlinmfgusa.com
www.merlinmfgusa.com
315-409-3500
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006296086971
https://www.facebook.com/LCMotorspor..._type=bookmark
https://twitter.com/LCMotorsport703
Your on track supplier

Chris and his wife Luda are very nice people to deal with,they will go out of their way to help you !
If you're going to track your car,slotted rotors is the way to go as it allows the gases from the brake compounds to escape and it helps to prevent your rotors from glazing.It has no effect on brake surface

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the LC Motorsports site. I am looking for slotted rotors for my Turbo S (928S4) brake setup. Are those the same as the S2 rotors?

Quick Reply: Rotor Advice