Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! What are my rights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mike1982
I don't know, you guys do have a VERY good idea of not saying anything about the deal. I wonder if that would work since he has your key. You would have to think of a story for that like it was in your car and it wasn't locked.
Ya, by not saying anything only the facts stand out. His word agenst the facts doesnt add up to much. The fact is its your car.

What if I stole your keys and took your car. You come up with a cop and say "thats my car." I say, nawww I was pantn' it for the dude. All you say is " thats my car." whats the cop going to do. Force him to give you your car. If you start speeling off stuff that collaborates his story about "paintn'" then the cops going to direct you to civil court to settle it.

Its your car , now go get it damnit!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:03 PM
j_overly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I doubt he has a license to conduct business in his back yard, and if it is anything like my area, he is not zoned to do it either. Do you think he reports all that income to the IRS? I think he has more to lose than you, you just need to point that out. "what's it going to take? Cops? Which will lead more than just me getting my car back. Gee officer, I had no clue he was not a licensed to do business?? I paid him (hopefully not cash!)"

Better yet, if you have one of those "Call for Action" local news outfits that just loves doing those "I got ripped off" stories.

It sounds like you need to ratchet up the heat and give the guy an ultimatum (<- wow I actually spelled that right!).
Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I totally agree with Travis, bring the cops to this sleezy @#%*suckers house!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Yeah, I was under the impression that without a mechanic's lien, which you need a business license to get, he could not legally hold my car. When I called my lawyer this morning, he suggested this whole "claim and delivery" month long runaround. I'm so screwed.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Your not screwed dude, just go get your car with a cop. Bring a baseball bat just incase
Old 09-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Actually I doubt he has a license to conduct business in his back yard, and if it is anything like my area, he is not zoned to do it either. Do you think he reports all that income to the IRS?
He has told me that he has no business license, pays no taxes, and dumps solvent/paint in his backyard, so that will come out when this get taken care of. I figure I'll call the IRS about 3 months from now and the EPA a week after that.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Get your car back before he breaks something. Like everyone keeps sayin, get a cop, tell him you parked your car somewhere, abd somebody blocked you in and won't let you out.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Yeah, I could do the cop, he stole my car thing, but I don't want to lie to the law and potentially screw myself some more.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Is MichelleJD still frequenting Rennlist? I bet she would have some choice words.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:20 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Unfortunately, IF and WHEN you do get it back, If you don't pay the 1350, the crankcase will have sand in it or some other horror..

I hate to scare you but that is what I would be afraid of..
Old 09-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Robwsup
Yeah, I could do the cop, he stole my car thing, but I don't want to lie to the law and potentially screw myself some more.
Dont lie, just dont say anything about the deal. When asked just say " I would rather not say." The cop will understand. Just tell him you want your car back. A private party is holding it in there garage and you want it back. But go TONIGHT, before he moves it somewhere else and you will never get it back.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

reality check,
the irs wont do anything because he is too small. the epa wont do anything because they are backpedalling from saying it was safe for schmucks like me to work by the WTC.

he does not have a mechanics lien. forget the claim and delivery legal-eze.

call the cops, he has your car, dont go into the details. let him say he did work and you owe him money. then let the cops write him tickets. dont be afraid of the storage crap.

this comes down to who has the bigger *****. if he doesnt have a license to do business, he probably doesnt have a legal right to a mechanics lien.

now go get your damn car back... NOW!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
reality check,
the irs wont do anything because he is too small. the epa wont do anything because they are backpedalling from saying it was safe for schmucks like me to work by the WTC.

he does not have a mechanics lien. forget the claim and delivery legal-eze.

call the cops, he has your car, dont go into the details. let him say he did work and you owe him money. then let the cops write him tickets. dont be afraid of the storage crap.

this comes down to who has the bigger *****. if he doesnt have a license to do business, he probably doesnt have a legal right to a mechanics lien.

now go get your damn car back... NOW!
What Tom said!! GO GO GO!!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

immaturity seeping through:

after you get your car, buy one of those 1 gallon bottles of round up and spread evenly on his front lawn.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:34 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

its a civil matter and unfortunately there's not much the police can do, my advice get a good lawyer explain the situation and take him to court. If you didnt give him checks i'd say report it stolen.

Quick Reply: Help! What are my rights?