Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help outside of atl

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 09:33 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help outside of atl

My buddy and I are trying to replace the shortblock in his '84 auto... We may need help
Neither one of us has done this much surgery to a car before, though I've been close... Anyway, if anyone is willing to help out next weekend, that would be great. We have most of the crap out of the way to pull the engine, however we need to swap the head over and drop the new one in, and for some reason I'm scared of timing...

Thx in advance! It may be worth a six pack or something like that...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:09 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I haven't swapped a head or replaced an engine yet but I have done the timing belt and I am in the proccess of replacing the rod bearings, motor mounts, and oil pan gasket on my car. If I am free next weekend I'll be more than happy to help.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:32 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

My fiance will be out of town on Saturday, if you have room for a dog (can't leave her home alone, can't send her with the fiance) I might be able to help out.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:23 PM
James86-951
Pro

During the upcoming week, I can help you plan out how to do the work. I have pulled/rebuilt many engines. (although no 944's) I will be happy to help in the planning part. Yes, there is some planning that needs to be done if you want to get it to go smoothly.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:49 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

ahofam and Brian - that would be great... There isn't really a yard here (kinda like a townhome setup), but if you have something that we could attach to the deck for the dog that would be ok, or if its small, maybe inside...?

Anyway, give me a call if you would like to help out... Saturday would be great to hopefully get all the main stuff out of the way. Thx a ton, and, the number is 404-353-6992.

Thx in advance

James - what advice can ya give us?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:32 PM
James86-951
Pro

I am unsure of your tool situation, but read through the procedure several times to make sure you have the tools. (A junkyard marker helps in marking critical timing marks, etc.) I am assuming your pulling it through the top. Start coating everything with WD40 or equivalent. That will help save 1-2 hours and 3 knuckles. Get an 5 gallon bucket, 2 gallons of paint thinner, and some type of metal basket. This is a great econo-parts cleaner. It save time and works well. Buy a drill sanding disc with the green scotch brite pads, don't get red, it eats aluminum. It's a great gasket cleaner.

Read the procedure and read it again, look the car over to get a feel for it.

Have you already purchased all of the "might as well" parts? (gaskets, tubing, Idle control valve, Cycling valve, etc.) Once you are in there, you are going to want to get it done now.

Do you already have a cherry picker? (Eng hoist) I have the manuals on CD. You can email me and I will email the files over to you. (They are large.)

I pulled one of the first engines out of a Nissan 300ZX TT in 1991. (By an independant shop.) I made the shop owner buy the Nissan Manual and I read it several times for a day and made sure I had all of the tools. I pulled the engine in 3hrs without any problems. (It comes out of the bottom.) The following day I had the new engine in and running. It really helps to plan it out.

I have done the "dirty rebuild" on my 951 and have yet to do a clutch on it. I can help you with the planning and time saving stuff. I am old and married now, so I can't run over to help. It would be fun though, I'm sure of that!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

bump 404-353-6992
c'mon you know you guys have nothing better to do tomorrow... lol

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad, just tried calling to get directions. My pooch is a house dog normally, 50lbs (medium size), but can easily be tied up on the porch. I might be able to just leave her here as I think my GF might be coming home early on Sat.

Get me some directions. I'll bring a toolbox with me aswell, just incase. Need anything like jackstands or a floor jack? Anything else?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:25 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

It looks like I won't be able to make it this weekend. My mom is out of town and I need to take my sister to her cross country meet. I also have to bolt up the oil pan and cross member on the 944, bleed the brakes on the E-type, and write an essay for English among other things. Sorry that I can't be there to help.

Quick Reply: Need help outside of atl