Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction - 1987 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 PM
edsmax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction - 1987 951

Hey all,

Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ed and I am in RI. Recently, I have inherited my father's 1987 951 with 102k on the clock. He had owned the car since 1988 so it has been in the family for awhile. Unfortunately, he had lost interest in the past few years and it has been sitting in his garage (with the occasional start up). With an upcoming move to New Mexico, he gave it to me.

I am fairly good with wrenching and do most of the work on my older BMW. I plan to do the belt service first followed by a full tune up and all fluids replaced. Car starts fine and after some surging, settles down. No leaks that I can see. Clutch was frozen but we got her undone and clutch seems ok.

It is a rare color - LY3E Malven red. The wheels were color matched by the dealer when new. Its pretty dusty now but underneath the dust, the paint and body are in great shape! Wish me luck - the goal is to have a nice second car to drive only on nice days. Some slight mods will follow once the basics are complete.
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the slippery slope!! These cars die of boredom. So be prepared for random things to pop up!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That will clean up really nice. Look forward to reading about the progression
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi Ed!

Welcome to the forum. And, for the record, LY3E really cleans up nicely.

(It's an old pic but it shows how it really brightens up in the sun...)

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 PM
guardsred944s
Rennlist Member

Where in RI are you?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Looks like its in great condition!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I feel your excitement

Tomorrow (Monday) mine arrives from Central Illinois on the truck and I can get to work making it right. It's white w/black insides and goes like stink.....but won't stop. So brakes rebuild is 1st major thing to tackle. Your's looks great.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 AM
edsmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by guardsred944s
Where in RI are you?
Warwick, in Cowesett.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:54 PM
edsmax
Intermediate

Well, after a few weeks of working on the car in my spare time, I am nearly done! This car has been fighting me every step of the way. Here is what is done:

-New cam and balance belts
-New tensioners and idlers
-Reman waterpump from Zims
-Flushed and bled coolant
-New alternator belt and power steering belt
-New power steering tensioner
-Cleaned and oiled K&N air filter (had mouse nest inside)
-New cap, rotor, wires and plugs
-new ignition coil
-oil and filter change
-cleaned out rear wiper motor, works now
-new washer pump for windshield
-drained fuel tank, cleaned inlet sock, replaced gasket
-new fuel filter

I have brake rotors and pads coming tomorrow and will hopefully be done soon. It seems to run good and was ok on a short drive around the block. After all this work, I am ready to enjoy it this Spring.

Ed
Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and Welcome Ed!

I missed this thread the first time but thanks for bumping it up!

I'm going to make a very important suggestion to you regarding something you MUST do before you start driving it, as I didn't see this on your list...replace your FUEL LINES!!!

As you start driving it those old (probably original) lines will start to see heat cycles, which the now (most likely) hardened rubber will not deal with well. This can lead to splits and cracks in the rubber lines which are directly overtop of the spark plugs and the exhaust manifold. Quite a few 944's have died a fiery, horrible death because of old, hardened fuel lines failing.

Am I scaring you? Yes? Good.

Lart sells them, as does Travis at Rennbay (www.Rennbay.com). Travis is one of my favorite vendors to deal with, give him a call and tell him I sent you his way (maybe he'll send me some damn stickers! Travis!! Gah!)

Seriously though...never forget that this is an old car, even though it has been garaged and is in very clean, nice shape, it is not invincible...and the old rubber on it will not do kindly with being heat-cycled again after sitting.

One last thing, related to the previous advice...buy a nice big fire extinguisher and put it somewhere where you can get it quickly in the event of a freak accident etc etc...after watching my 78 Ford F250 burn to the ground last week because the little fire extinguisher I had (which was old) failed let me just tell you, you don't want to go through that.

Post up some updated pics of that diamond in the rough all cleaned up man!!
Ethan
Old 03-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
Travis at Rennbay (www.Rennbay.com). Travis is one of my favorite vendors to deal with, give him a call and tell him I sent you his way (maybe he'll send me some damn stickers! Travis!! Gah!)
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

I'm up in MA, Uxbridge area, let me know if you need any help or parts
Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM
edsmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
Congrats and Welcome Ed!

I'm going to make a very important suggestion to you regarding something you MUST do before you start driving it, as I didn't see this on your list...replace your FUEL LINES!!!
You know what, I may get some and replace them. They are original and look ok but it is probably not worth the risk. Should I be concerned with only the pair of lines under the hood?

And yes, there is a fire extinguisher already behind the passenger seat
Old 03-31-2015, 05:49 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Travis...Please know I laughed out loud...hard...at your reaction! Honestly I'm still laughing

Originally Posted by edsmax
You know what, I may get some and replace them. They are original and look ok but it is probably not worth the risk. Should I be concerned with only the pair of lines under the hood?

And yes, there is a fire extinguisher already behind the passenger seat
Good work on the fire extinguisher first of all.

Second, in terms of fuel lines, there are two that connect the feed and return hard line in the wheel well to the Fuel Pressure Damper and Regulator (respectively I believe) on the Fuel Rail (these guys: http://rennbay.com/Fuel-System/944-F...85-5-1989.html). I'm guessing you are mechanically inclined/able so installing these should not be difficult, just follow the instructions and take your time.

In addition it is very important to replace the small jumper line that goes from the damper under the rail and to the other side of it (http://rennbay.com/Fuel-System/944-F...r-to-Rail.html this guy)

You can replace all of these with several options, I went with the Rennbay kit for the two main hoses, and a Porsche factory replacement for the jumper line...some use braided lines, different colors etc etc. That's just how much time/money/effort you want to put into it and if you prefer braided or not.

Good luck! Pics or it didn't happen!
Ethan
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
edsmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will Feather
I'm up in MA, Uxbridge area, let me know if you need any help or parts
Thanks Will! Help me with my fuel lines?

Quick Reply: Introduction - 1987 951