Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: So much for truth, justice and the American way

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. As for the 944, I'm afraid that it will be a while before she sees the street, no hackin on my baby! I gues I'll just have to mod the hell out of it! That's bass-ackwards tho, by the time I can get it on the street, it will be beyond street legal. Hmmm, sell the thunderchicken,buya truck and trailer, put the interlock on the truck, beat it around town and trailer the 944 to shows and races. I gotta stay on the bright side.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Water944t
Pro

I used to own a bar, out in the middle of New Mexico. Serious hard drinking country. I have seen firsthand how ****ed up our society is with its permissive approach to alcohol. Too many friends I have seen ****ed by Budweiser. But yet the marketing machine keeps right on rolling.

I don't buy into the 'disease' crap when it comes to drinking, unless 'weak character' can be called a disease. I do think it is a sign of a deeper mental illness. Most of the heavy drinkers I know/knew associated with the wrong crowd, suffered from depression, and for the most part were looking for a way out of the lives that they perceived as being too hard. And booze was more socially acceptable. Too bad weed is illegal, noone kills kids when they cant find the Doritos. ( I say that only half-joking, booze is much more dangerous than pot.)

Everything this kid has posted just reaffirms my belief that alcoholism is an escape mechanism, not a disease. Regardless of what some assclown 'medical practicioners' have to say about it.

I wish you luck getting your act together, it isnt an easy road. But I would also suggest you surround yourself with people who don't drink or even party. Find a bunch of goody-two-shoes. A few years hanging out at a church on the weekends might save your life, regardless of what you think of religion. Or start spending your free time/evenings as a volunteer with the local ambulance service, that will let you see too much of what booze does. You need to dissolve your old life to build a new one, and just one old 'buddy' can throw your train right off track.

Good luck man.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Chris's Loss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy -

I've seen alchol take its toll on a lot of families, mine being one of them. All I can say to you is not to give up. Keep in mind we all are born with our crosses to bear and some of them are heavier than others. Every day you become one day closer to having this all behind you!

You have come so far and we are all proud of anyone who can come through the things you have. Justice may not have been fair to you, but for sure, this is something that you will never forget. If you are ever tempted to drink again, just picture yourself having to do it all again. But next time it could be worse.

Set your eyes on driving that car, getting married and starting that family you want so badly. Your goals aren't unachievable, just a little farther away right now. Don't ever lose sight of what is important to you.

Never give up and always remember you have friends here who you can turn to. These guys amaze me.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha- she beat me to it.

All of us are better for knowing each other.. I consider Andy a great guy and I am better for knowing him. I'll see ya this weekend buddy! Keep the faith.

I said it before - Rennlist is like a 12 step program.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

oops double post..

I'm sitting across the Library and Patti posted first.. I was too busy on Hotjobs.com..
Old 08-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Chris_924s

I said it before - Rennlist is like a 12 step program.
I'm not sure. Sometimes I think I need RA--Rennlist Anonymous!

A buddy of mine once said PCA wasn't a club, it was a support group.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:10 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, I don't have much to say that hasn't been already said. Like a few people here I met Andy @ 944Fest. AS OTHERS DROVE BY, Andy stopped during our drive and helped a fellow 944 owner that broke down. That says something about the type of young man Andy is now.

As far as the past goes, well guess what the apostle Paul use to kill (or at least take part in the killing of) Christians before he became a Christian and God saw fit to use him to write most of the Greek Scriptures after he turned his life around. Don't get me wrong, Andy's not Paul and probably won't write any theological passages in his time, but he does deserve to be forgiven and doesn't deserve the crap a lot of the fella's here are giving him.

If you were still doing what you did in the past, sure I'd take part in breaking your ***** with the rest of them but your not and have "Seen the Light :-)" so give him a break!

As far as the guys on here that don't know you and choose to rip on you for your past mistakes... "I wouldn't give them the sweat of your ***** worth of worring about them and there unkind words".

Learn from your mistakes and move on Andy... as you already have!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember pulling out of the parkinglot, I came out of a blackout about an hour or so later and about 20 miles away from there. I was jut stitting in the middle of the road and didn't know what was going on. For fear someone called the cops, I freaked out and floored it, I was doing about 80 and didn't know where I was. I missed a corner and took a tree in the driver's door, took off and found my way to my exgirlfriend's house. I was going to stay there, but noone was home, for fear she would think I was staking her or something weird, I left. I made it about 2 blocks and my front half shaft let go on my Corrado. I sat there and drank until the cops showed.

I am sure glad you don't travel the same roads that I travel!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, again congratulations, don't sweat the people who are ripping on you. I TOTALLY agree with Chris's Chick on this one, i have never had the support of anyone including my parents who were there for me when i needed them, that i have from my wife, she would follow me to the ends of the world, start that family, my son is 1.5 years old and is totally my pride and joy, i am only 20 no one said i could do what i have done, get married, buy a house at 19, raise my child properly, all of these things give me something to look forward to as your family would for you. Good luck with your recovery, you are in my family's prayers.

Mark,
and family
Old 08-28-2003, 02:14 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive known andy for about fifteen years. We've all had tough times and this is no exception. We have been best of friends for years but when all this happened i really had it with him and didnt really care too much. The last two years i have been helping him with projects, and he's been helping me, where one is lacking the other is informed. I really think people do change, i think he has definitly learned his lesson. It sucks that the wait is so long, that he cant enjoy his car, but patience is a virtue. Andy, i think if you can find a way to get moving w/o your car, you may never need it. Dont let your situation stop you now, just be thankful its not much worse, remember Ryan Fry? Youve got a wonderful family and girlfriend, my parents would have never supported me that much, and you know my g/f wouldnt drive me anywhere..:P, Im sure they all understand what your going through is hard and you'll make it up in time.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

nine-44, good luck with the entire thing man. i never got caught for drinking, because i never drove while i drank. i never let a friend either. i dont care how straight you are, your not fit to drive. i'd rather walk home than get in a car with a drunk. i know only a couple people that i've seen that can drive drunk on a daily basis, one being a friends dad. he drinks REAL HARD, and he drives like al unser jr.

but i have court soon for a matter, but hopefully i wont spend time in jail. which i doubt :-/
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks brother, Yeah, I remember. A pregnant mother, two kids and him,GONE, we all asked why, even me. And now, everyone is asking me why it is necesary to risk loss of life. Why, I don't know, it's not necesary. I don't do it anymore, it doesn't make it right, but the future doesn't have to worry about me any longer. I don't have a clue as to what I was thinking back then either. There were many times I wished that I would have died, just to keep others safe and put an end to my misery.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:47 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

What I can tell you all is that Andy is one hell of a guy. I've never met him in person but through talking to him online, I can tell he has good character. No one, and I mean NO ONE, has the right to scold him for anything he has done. We have all made mistakes and each of you knows that. How would it make you feel if you tried to open up and people treated you like and ***? None of you would like it in the least. I think it is fantastic to see people on here that are willing to stick up for this gentleman. All you can do in this situation is try to help a friend out.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:05 AM
doyle
Racer

I don't want to be harsh but I don't have ANY sympathy for drunks or drunk drivers. Be a man and take responsibility for your actions. You weren't born an alcoholic, it's not a disease, it's a stupid ****ing problem that ruins many lives. Living with a drunk sucks and having 4 friends killed by drunks sucks. Don't come on here bitchin' and cryin' that you can't drive your "p-car" anymore when people have friends and family members that can live anymore. You keep saying "do without food" or do without...whatever" well try doing without a son or a daughter or a best firend because some ******* has no self control. You made mistakes, you screwed up, you got caught, and WE ARE ALL paying for it. You in fines and inconvenience, everyone else in outrageous insurance bills. Your **** ups cost us all. Do us all a favor, sell you "p-car" (man do I hate that word), and buy six years worth of bus tokens.

my rant mode is now off. Sorry.

doyle
Old 08-28-2003, 10:43 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,186 Posts

I agree with 99% of what everybody else is saying. Only part I don't like is the ignition thing. The government should have no right to modify a persons property like this.

A friend of mine in Minnisota was issued what they call "Whiskey Plates" so a cop can tell he had DUI's and can pull that person over with no reason.

Some states make you use a little device that you plug into a phone line, blow into it and it uploads your blood/alcohol level.

I'm sure there are other ways as well. What would stop you from buying a $50 beater, have the device installed on that car and drive the Porsche anyway?

These stupid devices don't do anything.

Quick Reply: OT: So much for truth, justice and the American way