Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME Relay / Fuse Block / question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 10:43 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME Relay / Fuse Block / question

Got a new DME relay today to try and solve the car stalling problem.

While removing the old one, I noticed that the female part up in the fuse block is loose.

With the old one out I can see/feel that the part is indeed not conected to the rest of the fuse block. It looks like it slides into a channel and locks into place.

Anybody had the fuse block assembly out that can verify how the receiver parts for the relays are all attached together.

Probably important that it is stationary up there right?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:27 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

the plastic pieces that are in there are a little loose... the past few days i've been dickin around with getting some working turn signals, and i finally broke down and added another relay seperate of the fuse/relay panel. i've taken the whole thing out several times, and they are a little loose but thats not a big deal as long as they dont come off; they do sit a little loose on the top of the panel there though.

-Michael-
Old 08-25-2003, 11:35 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

OK, but this is really loose.

I can pull the female receptacle part out about 1/2 an inch...the wires all seem to be intact and attached on the back side.

That loose is OK?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:37 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yeah, the relay on the top left furthest on mine came off, i kinda got it back on there, and i'm being careful not to pull it off again. as long as everything is still connected its fine, but just be careful and make sure it goes back where it should be when you put the panel back in its holder.

-Michael-
Old 08-26-2003, 01:12 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

but just be careful and make sure it goes back where it should be when you put the panel back in its holder.
I am not sure what panel you are refering to. All the relays on mine are just attached to the top of the uppermost fuse panel. I think
Old 08-26-2003, 01:19 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

well, the top row of relays are held in by those dumb little clip things, and you just have to make sure not to stretch the wires or anything when you're putting the panel back in. by the time i got done working on mine today i just put the whole thing back in as it was, i didnt take any special precautions, and it was fine. the fuse block is pretty rugged.

-Michael-
Old 08-26-2003, 02:07 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

AH HA...

Now I see, I did not realize the whole fuse/relay assembly came out of it's little box/holder...DUH (The screw on the tab SHOULD have been my clue)

So I see how the whole thing tilts and comes out. I got it out and slid the DME relay socket back onto it's little tabs, installed the new DME relay and put it all back nice and neat. Made sure all of the relays are seated good as well.

The PO didn't even have it in all the way on one side (outboard side with the solid hole).

Thanks for the input and making me LOOK AT WHAT I AM DOING......

Probably should spend more time in the manual rather than the keyboard, but this is more fun.

We will see if this solves the stalling problem,,,,let's HOPE.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:42 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i hope so, stalling is no fun... cool story: my car had stopped a couple times due to the dme relay (didnt know at the time), and i was going back and forth to school on borrowed DME relay time. one weekend i went home, then was goign to drive to palm bay (1.25 hrs or so) and do an autocross. got there, did my 3 runs, had a great time. left there, went to the gas station, filled up. upon trying to restart after refueling, the car wouldnt start at all! didnt have a DME relay with me.. DOH so i then proceeded to get my car towed home (luckily didnt cost me much cause of insurance), replaced the DME relay and the car was fine. learned a valuable lesson about carrying extra relays.

-Michael-

Quick Reply: DME Relay / Fuse Block / question