Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Houston! How was Project Day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:15 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Houston! How was Project Day?

I need to hear the stories from project day. Wish I coulda been there.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:45 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Pete,,,,

James here,, Man Oh Man I got a NEW car!!!!!!!!!

These guys worked their butts off yesterday. We ended up doing motor mounts, A arms, bushings, ball joints and a fuel filter (ala Brian) on mine and pulled the cover and checked the belts on Kevin's. Geo got "the tool" and checked Kevins belts and all seemed to be OK. One of the belts is wearing a little on the cam cover.

I can't get the grin off my face

It rides like brand new. I can actually feel the supension working, and no vibration ZERO, ZIP NADA.

I'm going out driving

Will post a couple of pics later

I CAN NOT THANK THESE GUYS ENOUGH FOR THE HOURS THEY SPENT ON MY CAR

Matt (drove down from Dallas)
Kevin (let us use his house and fed us)
George (all the shop manuals/tool/)
Brian (stops by and changes the fuel filter & took Matt to get some rims)
Old 08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, we missed you!

We had a good time. I figured mounts would be a piece of cake, but they were a major PITA. But, like the belts, we could do it again in half the time.

We had Kevin's car ready to replace the belts inside an hour, but he couldn't get the starter off. So, we checked the belts and cleaned everything and buttoned it back up. We owe Kevin big-time and next time, his car is first in the garage. Kevin, let us know when you get those starter bolts loosened.

Oh, and I think I've kind of figured out how to get a consistent reading on the tool. I was getting 75% of the measurements within .3.

So, you going to come down when I replace my clutch?

How's the war college?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:17 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

War College is off to a great start. Lots of reading, but we do get enough time to get it all done. The papers start in about a month. All settled in, and am having major Porsche withdrawals. I have seen a 944 and a 924 on base, need to track down the owners and make sure they get on the list.
Would love to do the clutch job. Of all I have done, I liked that one. (I also like beating my head with a ball-peen hammer).
Last belt job I did, I used the optibelt tool, and I was getting incredibly consistant results. Now that I am smarter would love to try both tools again to compare results.
Sounds like you guys got some good work done, and James seems pretty darned happy.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for having me. Always better to wrench on someone elses car! Brian- double thanks for hauling me across houston to pick up those wheels. Kevin, tell your wife thanks for dinner. James, cant thank you enough for letting me crash at your place. George, that 1321 trick saved me 55 miles and 1 hour in time!!!!!!! You are the MAN. I made it home in less than 4 hours! Next time you guys can caravan up here. BTW, I DID mention the mounts were a big time PITA :>)))))
Old 08-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

sorry i missed it guys, i couldn't get her out of the garage in time, but when i do i will post picks.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It was good to see everyone, and to meet Matt.

I've got my own project now. Becki's pathfinder needs new drive axles on the front. Yay. I guess I'll do the ball joints and tie rod ends while I'm there, too. They didn't look too good. I guess the 951 will be doing daily-driver duties for awhile until I can get this all done. Becki will just have to drive the truck. On the bright side it's easier to get underneath it than a 944. I'll be doing this with the Haynes manual, so wish me luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

It was a great time! Just one word of advice. If you are gonna do control arms AND motor mounts...take the crossmember out BEFORE putting in new control arms!!! Also, check the holes for the stabilizer bar mounts so you can drill them out BEFORE they are on the car.

If you're in Texas during the summer...rent a BIG *** FAN (thanks James). If you have a project car that needs a new home...invite people over to look at it (thanks Matt, just let me know when you're picking her up).

Like we did start with the big project first, that way when it's 6:30 and you are about to start the second car, you can look at it and say "those belts look awfully new and nice and clean, are we sure we want to start taking this one apart? Hey the starter bolts won't come loose, I think we can wait till the next project day." Seriously guys thanks for coming over, it's great to see (and meet...Matt) you all again. Let's get a Kart Zone date lined up.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It was really a lot of fun. My back it hurts but well worth it. Axles are easy on that truck. Let me know when you want to do it again. Kevin, you should post the pictures of the cam cover. I would be interested in what others have to say about it.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
Axles are easy on that truck.
I hope you're right. I'll find out soon enough.

Speaking of pictures, when I get that film developed I'll have them load me a disc, too. We had some pretty wide bodies shoved up under that 944.
Hey, I can say that. I consider myself (ahem) full bodied.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

James was gonna email them to me, but he is busy chasing a gremlin. I'd be interested in what others have to say. I just have to figure out how to load them or have someone host them and link to them.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Brazzos
Advanced

Picked my "new" 87' 944 up in Houston on Saturday. (1488 near I-45)
Just read that you guys were tearing em up and putting em back together right down the road from where I picked the car up.
Stayed at my friends house on Cypresswood in North Houston.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The car died while George and I were following him home. I know from being under there that there are some grounds missing but they are for things like the horn etc.

Brian- I think I "win" for biggest body but George is awful close :>) James and Kevin could fit anywhere. Kevin had his car up working on the starter bolt. I was gonna take a look but I couldnt get my head underneath and he had been laying under there!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

OK OK I am loading the pics.... I have to put them on my website and link to them.

I need to start a new thread real quick then i will be on it.

Got new DME relay today. But the female part up in the fuse block is loose, and I can't get my fat head up there to see how the female receptacle part is secured to the fuse block.

Be back in a couple of minutes with the link to the pics.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:03 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Default PICTURES

Well my web server is changing over to trelix site building software and it aint working....

SO..

Try this link:Houston Project Day Pictures

Click on "PICTURES" on the left side. When the new window opens click on the album. Thumnail pics are not showing up, but the photos seem to load...albeit slow...

A couple of pics of Kevins Dist/Cam cover with the dust and two grooves from the belt. A pic of "THE FAN". And one of the guys

Had to revert to MSN hosting...Don't like it....

Quick Reply: Hey Houston! How was Project Day?