Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing my first love back home..... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014 | 03:16 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Default Bringing my first love back home..... need some advice

Greetings. Next month i'll have the opportunity to bring my first Porsche back home. 1988 951, black satin metallic with satin interior. Owned it while I was a medical resident and a few years after until I decided to give it to my brother-who carefully kept it up, overhauled top end/turbine etc., However, he also put in a Lindsey racing MAF and the original Autotothority chip in 1996.

In early years he was able to pass emissions but now it won't pass Calif. tough emissions!

He called me and said to come and get her. It runs nicely just won't pass emissions and he decided not to put anymore cash into the car.

Thinking of turning it back to bone stock including barn-door intake etc.,

Problem is, he says there are some hoses I need to purchase which were deleted for the MAF installation......Does anyone know what hoses these may be? Are they all air hoses? water hoses?? Anyone done this Lindsey racing MAF conversion who may recall exactly what hoses I need to purchase to get her back to stock??

thanx a million guys!!
Old 12-09-2014 | 10:28 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

My advice: Your car is almost 30 years old. Do yourself a favor and replace every rubber hose in the engine compartment. Most of the hoses that I pull off these cars can best be described as "petrified". Turbo's are the worst, due to the high heat in the engine compartment. If you want a clean looking engine compartment and want to rule out driveability/reliability issues hoses are a good place to start. Don't forget the heater hoses at the rear of the engine. And the fuel hoses are a known weak point, if they've never been replaced.

It's a slippery slope as there are other items you would need to pursue in addition to hoses. At a minimum I would get new spark plug leads and I would check out the reference and speed sensor 3 wire connectors. If they are crumbly you should bite the bullet and get new connectors. It can be done without replacing the sensors or you can just buy the sensor as a complete unit which gets you the side of the connector that seems to fail.

Give Paragon Products a call and ask for Jason. He's one of the "good guys" and will get you fixed up. This is definately a DIY thing that you can do and it will help you learn your way around the engine compartment.

There's a lot to be done to get back to a place where you will confident to hop in the car and go. Keep asking questions. You're at the right place. Also check out the dedicated 951 Turbo forum.
Old 12-09-2014 | 11:48 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on getting your 1st Porsche back, must feel great.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:15 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

I second the recommendation on replacing all the hoses, but to answer your question about which ones would have changed for the MAF installation, it would be air hoses, not water hoses. More than likely this, known as the "J Boot", would be the most expensive one you'd need. It may be that some of the others that connect to it were removed too. I'd check with LR - if you can find instructions for the conversion on their site, you'll be able to see exactly what was removed. If not, contact them and ask. They have some useful intake diagrams on their site too: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/VACDIA.html
Old 12-09-2014 | 03:24 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thank you guys. Awesome recommendations. I will check it out.
Old 12-09-2014 | 06:20 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

It is a good idea to replace the hoses, but the only hose that will be needed is the turbo intake or j boot. I had a Lindsey maf and went back to stock as well. Ask any questions and I can probably dig up pics as well.

Quick Reply: Bringing my first love back home..... need some advice