Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference sensor manufacturer options - quality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:23 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Reference sensor manufacturer options - quality?

I haven't been able to find solid info on this - perhaps it's moot, but I'm looking at replacement reference sensors (i.e. crank position sensors, TDC sensor, whatever some of you guys call them) and there are a lot of options, with prices from $45-$150+ for each sensor, Porsche or BMW.

A lot of them are brands I've never heard of, like Facet, and some are brands I do know but have heard lukewarm things about, such as FAE. I have Bosch sensors in the car now and they're acting up after about a year (although they were slightly used when I got them) so I'm not buying into the "Bosch is best" thing unless proven otherwise.

Anyone have experience with some of these aftermarket suppliers, or any vendors to avoid?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure they are gapped correctly? The originals usually last forever, except for the connectors, or if manhandled getting them out. Not like there are any moving parts to wear out, just coils of wire.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Facet stuff usually works well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys.

The gapping looks ok on them, but I'll be looking for a surefire way to set it correctly. I'm thinking of using washers with a known thickness.

The connectors on them are fine, might as well be new. I'll snag the Facet ones if issues remain, thanks again.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

HTML Code:
Anyone? Bueller?
Ferris here. Sorry Mr. Hacker, I was just feeling so sick I could hardly bring my fingers to type on the keyboard. But you don't worry about me, I'll be fine, I'm sure. The sensors on Camerons dad's Ferrari seem to be holding up fine. But he never drives the damn thing, he just sits around and polishs it. Were's the fun in that? Try that washer thing. I would agree they should be pretty robust, except for the connectors, which were apparantly designed to crumble when they got to age 30. Pretty much sums up life, doesn't it? Ferris
Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

To adjust the gap, I use a small circular piece of cardboard that compressed down to the 0.8 mm gap. I glue that to the speed sensor and make the adjustment. The great thing abou the cardboard is that it wears away without requiring disturbing the adjustment.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
HTML Code:
Anyone? Bueller?
Ferris here. Sorry Mr. Hacker, I was just feeling so sick I could hardly bring my fingers to type on the keyboard. But you don't worry about me, I'll be fine, I'm sure. The sensors on Camerons dad's Ferrari seem to be holding up fine. But he never drives the damn thing, he just sits around and polishs it. Were's the fun in that? Try that washer thing. I would agree they should be pretty robust, except for the connectors, which were apparantly designed to crumble when they got to age 30. Pretty much sums up life, doesn't it? Ferris
I lost it! Thanks.

Agh, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway. The car is randomly dying every once in a while. It doesn't matter what the engine temp is like nor the RPMs. Sometimes it's 10 seconds after starting the car, sometime 10 mins. Always starts right back up and runs fine. I'm beginning to think DME solder joint.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
I lost it! Thanks.

Agh, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway. The car is randomly dying every once in a while. It doesn't matter what the engine temp is like nor the RPMs. Sometimes it's 10 seconds after starting the car, sometime 10 mins. Always starts right back up and runs fine. I'm beginning to think DME solder joint.
Don't bother trying to find the bad joint. Just hunker down with your soldering iron and spend an hour resoldering everything. If you aren't accustomed to soldering a lot, use the largest tip you have that won't get in the way and keep a decent coating of solder on the tip. You want to spend as little time as possible on each pin. If they aren't melting completely within 2 seconds use a bigger tip, higher output iron, or more solder.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always used the Bosch sensors and have not had an issue with them. The original sensors were made by Bosch and they do seem to last a long time. I bought new Bosch sensors from Pelican over the summer for about $80 per sensor.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The Bosch units are dependable and should last for quite a long time. We also offer the FAE units as a less expensive alternative. The best part is, you may read actual user reviews for both sensors on our catalog page.

Click here for more information regarding these sensors for your 1983 944.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-28-2014, 02:58 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car currently won't start and has no tach bounce when I try to start it. Everyone is saying it's my S/R sensors so I just ordered new FEA ones from ECSTuning.com

I'll let you know how they are when they come in next week!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
My car currently won't start and has no tach bounce when I try to start it. Everyone is saying it's my S/R sensors so I just ordered new FEA ones from ECSTuning.com

I'll let you know how they are when they come in next week!
Did you have any issues with the FAE sensors?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sound like a snob or anything, but when it comes to OE Bosch equipment, I don't screw around with the Chinese imitations. Do it once, do it right, forget about it for years.

The lone exception is the DME Relay... I embraced the f9tech solid-state units.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:56 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Friends don't let friends install Chinese parts on their car...

Quick Reply: Reference sensor manufacturer options - quality?