Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Light Hardware

Old 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fog Light Hardware

Good afternoon all,

I bought some fog light lenses to replace my cracked ones. New ones came with a reflector and a fog light combination. I was thinking that since I have four fog lights I should use all of them. I just don't have all the hardware. I need some direction... where do I find hardware for the fog lights? The adjusting screw white plastic clips simply pop off when I turn the screw.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, the euro driving light conversion...not sure if it's also somewhere here on RL, but this was written up on Pelican once before...towards the bottom of the first post he describes what he substituted on the adjusting screw...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...onversion.html
Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

For whatever reason I cannot load that page, but here are the things I need.

I think i will be able to find the mounting screws at lowes. Hopefully. But the adjusting screws I may have to fabricate.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Weird...that thread is one of the best resources for this conversion. Here's the relevant comment about the adjusting screws from that post...

The other thing that needs to be done is to add some adjustment screws for the DL's. This is not as simple as first thought, as the DL's screws are longer than those used for the foglights. I was able to obtain screws at my local Ace store (~130mm/M4x0.7, with a nylok M4 nut) that matched the OEM hardware closely
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Any chance you could save that thread somehow like HTML or PDF and PM me with it? I don't know why I cannot load it. I even signed up for the forum.

Also noticed that some of the lamps have covers directly over the lamp itself whereas some of the others are open. Is this to block the beam from directly shining in people's eyes? So in the US I should install them on the driver's side fog lamp to not blind oncoming traffic.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:34 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Sorry I got the page to work. Avast was blocking it.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Sick
Any chance you could save that thread somehow like HTML or PDF and PM me with it? I don't know why I cannot load it. I even signed up for the forum.

Also noticed that some of the lamps have covers directly over the lamp itself whereas some of the others are open. Is this to block the beam from directly shining in people's eyes? So in the US I should install them on the driver's side fog lamp to not blind oncoming traffic.
Glad you got it to load. The extra lenses are driving lights, which don't have those deflectors. In Europe, those lights are slaved to the high beams (you can't just turn them on/off like you can fog lights). The lenses are focused and, when aimed correctly, illuminate far down the road, straight ahead. They're bright and if aimed incorrectly, will get you flashed by other drivers because you're shining them in the eyes.

There are several conversion threads here on RL (and that Pelican thread) that show varying ways of wiring them up to act independently of the fog lights. Personally, I added a fused 12v source off my Iceshark headlight harness, similar to the wiring sketch in that thread linked above. That went to a relay which then powered the lights. I tapped into the existing chassis grounds for the ground circuit of the lights, and triggered the relay off a spare foglight switch in the rear fog switch blank area (next to the normal fog light switch). I tapped into switched 12v power from my radio to power the switch.

I use these as more DRL lights and have two LED bulbs in there. They're not bright, but they do help make the front of the car more obvious in shadow.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

So I got bored tonight after work and wanted to play with some electronics. I made a mock-up of the front lighting configuration. I thought this was the most practical setup. I took a video of the LEDs I had setup (I misspoke in the beginning, I meant parking lights when the yellow ones come on).

The yellow represents the parking lights, white are the low/high beams, blues are the driving/fog lights (different intensities). I have a switch for Off/Park/Low then for momentary high and high, then lastly a fog/driving light switch.

I made it so there is a choice whether or not you want to use the fog/driving lights for functionality and if they are switched on, they will switch back and forth depending on if I am using high or low beams/parking lights.

Let me know what you think!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

For my driving light setup, I made a simple wiring adjustment - the original fog lights got daisy-chained to the "parking lights" so they come on with the headlight switch in position 1.

The "driving lights" are plugged into the original fog light wiring so the fog switch on the dash controls those instead.

So headlight position 1 you have markers and fogs, and then have the option of adding driving lights with the other switch.

When you pull the high-beam stalk to flash, the driving lights are what flash.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Anybody know how to get (or how to fabricate) those top plastic mounting pieces the ones on the end of the adjusting screw? I think I could fabricate one, but don't think it would last more than a few months before failing and leaving me with a wobbly reflector. Anybody have extras?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog Light Hardware