Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit today

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:40 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Got hit today

I had to run to the mall today to pick up some stuff, and drove the P-car. As I'm walking towards my car, I notice the rear bumper doesn't look right. I thought maybe one of the brackets/ bolts holding it up broke, but then I noticed the plastic was buckled. So I went home, went to take some pictures, and noticed the other side is worse. At least it looks like it's only the rear bumper, and that it wasn't hit that hard.

Does this look like something I'd be able to fix in a few days before I leave for college?

I HATE BAD DRIVERS!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that dude, that sucks.... Um, honestly i don't know if you could straighten the plastic back out... super easy to replace... just go to a scrap yard and pick up the bumper, then have it sprayed by a body shop...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:51 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Looking at the first pic, it looks like the bumper shocks have been compressed...

You need to either figure out a way to pull out on the rear bumper, or take the bumper off and pull on the bumper shocks themself.

After that, see what you can do with the plastic. Maybe it will go back to its normal shape?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:52 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

What happened to whoever hit you? Did they leave a note?

This is why I never park near anyone if possible. I don't trust anyone, because many people take offense to someone else who has something nicer than them and want to ruin it. Ugh, I hate people who are jealous of a car. Ok, rant mode off, for now...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:54 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy! They really did a number on that bumper... They must have been going pretty fast... Wait... I'm having flashbacks..

Ahhhhhh!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:56 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good time to get a euro bumper..
Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

No note, and I was only in the mall for maybe 15 minutes. And I parked at least 5 spaces away from the nearest car. Also, this mall's typically dead, so there's not even a lot of traffic.

I'll try seeing what I can do with the bumper shocks today, otherwise this is just going to have to wait a while to get fixed. One problem with getting a replacement part is that my paint's metallic, so if it's not sprayed exactly the same it could turn out a slightly different tone. And it's a mettallic that Porsche only offered for a few years, so I probably won't be able to find a good matching one.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:09 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

See those big holes on the underside of those bumpers. Get in there and loosen the nuts. Hopefully the bumper will pop right out (Mine did) I waited to do it and the plastic was semi permenantly bent out. If you do it quick the plastic should bounce back.

However there is a kind of tab on the bottom that holds it in place. Those are probably broken meaning you need new ones. But in the short term if you release the bumper the plastic will look okay for the short term.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:15 PM
slinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks!

Does the mall have a security camera? Maybe it caught the incident on tape. Then you could see what happened and maybe have a chance of catching the *******.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Slinky has a good point.

See if you can get a plate number. That looks like a pretty good smack they laid on you.

My Pathfinder has been hit four (!) times while sitting still. There must be something about black cars.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:38 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

No, they don't. I worked at that mall for two years, their security sucks.

Now I have one of the shocks out of the car, and the other one popped back into place when I tried loosening the bolt. However, I can't get the other one to go back into place and I don't have a vice to put it in.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the plastic recover?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Can you post the picture of the one that is stuck (I'm betting it's the passenger side based on the pics)
Old 08-20-2003, 03:47 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Yep, passenger's side. Give me a few minutes to get the pick.

EDIT: Now all the batteries for my camera are dead, and they'll take a few hours to recharge

Just not my day
Old 08-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

My 86 took a similar hit last year. The left bumper endcap got squished like yours did. Plus the bumper pad was toast. I removed the pads and left endcap. The mechanic did something with a prybar ( I assume to pull out the bumper shock, though it wasn't pushed in that much) and I had to do something with the endcap since the tabs Sid mentions were broken. I don't remember exactly what I did but I used a small self tapping screw to do what the broken tabs had done. It came out fine, though I still haven't replaced the bumper pads. (took the right one off for the time being).

I'd like to know how the non-driving A$$ managed to hit you car that hard while it was parked in a parking lot.

Quick Reply: Got hit today