Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad coolant leak from back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:03 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad coolant leak from back of engine

My S2 has a bad coolant leak that in the last 2 days has become much worse. At first I though it was the cap because I thought it was leaking out the overflow but it is now obvious it is not the overflow.

Once the engine warms up it starts to leak badly from the rear. I mean will probably empty the coolant if I take it for a drive. It is not coming out of either of the heater hoses at the firewall neither side or hose appear to be leaking. The leak looks like it is coming from behind to AOS although I don't know for sure. The coolant is pooling up on the lip above the oil pan and then dripping down the back of the oil pan.

the bellhousing area that is visible from the top is dry. Best that I can see the mating area between the head and the block looks dry as well although with the intake etc in the way it is hard to see.

I have the car up on stands and have been hovering above and below and can't pinpoint where is is coming from.

Any advice / ideas

thanks

Mark
Old 10-03-2014, 06:23 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not overly familiar with the S2 but I'm assuming that the heater valve is in the same area and the heater valve is a known leaking spot on my 8V. That (and the hoses in the area) would be my first stop if it were my car.

Again, not an expert on the S2...

BB.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:28 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

thanks but the leak is on the intake side. The heater control valve is on the exhaust side (passenger side)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhr
thanks but the leak is on the intake side. The heater control valve is on the exhaust side (passenger side)
there is a hose off the back of the head that you probably need to replace.n
Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

looks like its solved. The hose clamp on the hose that goes from the TB under the intake to the back water outlet on the head was broken. Really didn't look like it was coming from there but I think that is the problem. Cant run it long enough to get it up to heat at the moment but fingers crossed that was the issue. Let yall know tomorrow.

Quick Reply: bad coolant leak from back of engine