Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding mobile HVAC service/repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Questions regarding mobile HVAC service/repair

I accidentally posted this in the turbo sub-forum and decided to post the questions here for exposure and future reference.

Is it worth it to have a mobile tech come to a house to ascertain the condition of an HVAC system for $60, $50 of which would be applied to any required repairs?

Why not simply drive to a shop, you may wonder? Well, it's not my car and currently not tagged.

In any case, I suspect putting the system on vacuum is not difficult. And charging the system is probably not difficult, either. But, on the driveway, in the elements, without a lift, wouldn't it be relatively difficult to determine the origin of leaks [even with fluorescent dye] to do a proper/adequate repair, if necessary?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Pcarnut711
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What vehicle are you referring to?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

putting the system under vacuum overnight is a good way to tell how much the system is leaking "big leak or small leak".
for not a whole lot more you can buy a set of AC manifold gauges, i cant tell you how useful my set has been (especially since the 944 has needed a lot of AC work and there are 3 other older cars in my family)

if there is a leak the first repair step would be to go through and replace the O-rings in the system. they are cheap and not hard to do for most of them. if it still leaks after that then chances are it is one of the hoses attached to the compressor/condenser, a pinhole leak in the condenser itself, or the compressor shaft seal.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
putting the system under vacuum overnight is a good way to tell how much the system is leaking "big leak or small leak".
Spencer, that's what I would've surmised...key word being overnight.

Do you think it's worth the effort [or $$$] for a mobile tech to come out, for an hour or two, to try and evaluate/troubleshoot the system? Could/would this exercise yield much meaningful results/information?

Quick Reply: Questions regarding mobile HVAC service/repair