Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble starting, requires gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trouble starting, requires gas

New started, new battery, and new alternator.

This started when I washed my car, didn't have the cowl between the winshield and the hood.

I assume water got in there, the first start was really rough. I drove it a few times over the course of a couple weeks and things were fine.

The last couple times I needed to start it, I had to give it gas as soon as the starter engaged in order to get it/keep it started. Once driving everything's fine but the starting concerns me ... any ideas?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Look for leaking (rusted) battery box. They leak into the passenger footwell near the firewall and right into the DME and it's connector. Look at the inside firewall and you'll likely see streaks of rust on it. Very common issue. Also check for water in and around spark plugs and the intake air filter for contamination.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

checked all those things, dry as a bone, same problem. I didn't remove the battery to see if water remained underneath the battery itself.

Washed it again, did my best to minimize water between the winshield and the hood.

Problem was worse, definitely water related. I saw the 944online cowl cover but it doesn't look like it spans the entire width of the winshield/hood.

any other ideas to keep water out of that area?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

One thing I've been looking for is a waterproof foam that can be squeezed into the area during car washes and rainstorms etc ... does such an animal exist?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

bought the cowl from the dealer, this is really nothing more than an airbox cover and they said that's the only part they have between the winshield and the hood. I find that hard to believe that stock there's nothing covering the batttery and the fusebox from water? the most important pieces to keep dry
Old 10-04-2014, 05:50 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse box has its own cover that clamps on and the battery has a a plastic cover that sits on top of it.
You definitely need to remove your battery, I bet you find a rust hole under it.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You said, "checked all those things, dry as a bone..."

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Look for leaking (rusted) battery box. They leak into the passenger footwell near the firewall and right into the DME and it's connector.
Did you follow 777's recommendation and pull your carpet, floorboard, and mounting bracket to visually/physically inspect your DME/connector/harness?

You don't wash your engine/compartment, do you?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bordin34
You definitely need to remove your battery, I bet you find a rust hole under it.
Removed the battery, no rust or holes in the compartment. Had a buddy pour water into the battery compartment while the battery was out and I was looking right at the area above the footwell, no water dripping down.

Did you follow 777's recommendation and pull your carpet, floorboard, and mounting bracket to visually/physically inspect your DME/connector/harness?

You don't wash your engine/compartment, do you?
Interior is deleted so there is no carpet or floorboard and I get a clear view of anything the could be dripping down.

I don't wash my engine compartment.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:13 AM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have this cover on the fuse box?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Do you have this cover on the fuse box?
Yes.

And I just ordered an ECS battery cover.

But still, I don't like the idea of all that water, e.g. a rainstorm or a carwash, pouring into the compartments. I'd like a design that prevents water from entering in the first place rather than draining it out after it gets in. And in a scenario where the water pours in faster than the drain holes can keep up with, it'll build up and get into the fusebox, battery, etc.

I'm trying to gin up something temporarily to shove in there for when it rains so that I don't have to throw on a tarp and anchor it down everytime I'm in a public parking space. I don't like car covers since they wear out and take up nearly the entire trunk space especially when I have to believe there's a more space-saving solution to this.

This would also be good for parking in general in the fall since it would prevent those pesky leaves from entering the area, then the leaves have to be cleaned out so they don't clog the drain holes, etc.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
One thing I've been looking for is a waterproof foam that can be squeezed into the area during car washes and rainstorms etc ... does such an animal exist?
No.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

This is admittedly an abomination but pipe insulation is the only thing I could think of as the rain's coming down and I didn't want any more water (or leaves/debris) in that area
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Trouble starting, requires gas