Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neckarsulm vs. Stuttgart...who made who?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Neckarsulm vs. Stuttgart...who made who?

I know 944's were made in an Audi plant that Porsche leased. Question is, who worked on the 944's assembly--Audi workers, or Porsche workers working in the leased Audi Plant??

Mercedes is now building cars in Ohio (I think)...and I sure wouldn't want a Benz built by Americans (not at the going price, anyway)! And most Boxsters are built in Finland. But if Audi workers (all German) were building our 944's, at least they were being built in Germany, by German workers--right?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:29 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats correct. My 944 was built in Neckarsulm. I was told porsche hired a compliment of workers just for the 944 series to work in the Neckarsulm plant.

Chrsitian
Old 08-08-2003, 06:50 PM
86-951
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lived & worked in Munich a few years ago. The BMW plant seemed to be staffed primarily with Turks & Irishmen although I'm sure many Germans were employed as well. At the facility where I worked, the guys assembling the machines (and working in the machine shop) drank beer on their breaks. The drink machine in my office was the old bottle-type and the bottom three rows served... beer. I could actually set at my desk, write code, drink beer and get paid for doing so. Needless to say, I was never impressed with the work ethic or the results although I enjoyed myself immensely. I also understand this culture is more prevalent in the Southern part of the country.

I've spent time in Sweden with a large electrical supplier located there. There seemed to be a fair number of Finns employed, especially in the engineering ranks. The manufacturing facility and end result was first class. I think what most people expect when they talk about German engineering and quality is more likely found in Scandinavia. The idea of a Boxster assembled in Finland is very appealing to me personally.

I may be biased since I work in manufacturing but the US is obviously very formidable. Even in the auto industry, there are pockets of excellence. BMW, MB and the Japanese wouldn't be building cars/trucks here otherwise.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Having lived in Germany for years (North west) I have visited the Stuttgart plant several times. Although they speak a strange form of German, they were pretty much all Germans. Now the Mercedes plant I visited was a completly different story!!

Christian
Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

However, all 944 engines were built at the Porsche Zuffenhausen plant.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I don't think Audi staffed people at Porsche to build the RS wagons, or Mercedes staffed people at Porsche to build the 500E cars. So I'm kinda doubting Porsche added to their own head count to staff the Neckarsulm site. Isn't the point of outsourcing to keep your own staff level down and use someone else's capacity?

And someone posted that some late S2's were built at Stuttgart, citing a letter change in the VIN. If I can remember where that post was (968 forum here?) I'll cite the letter specifics.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

'ZMS' instead of 'ZMN' in the VIN indicates a Stuttgart build S2, according to a post on the 968 board here.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, don't forget that BMW now has a plant in the US too.... Spartanburg NC i believe.... All of the X5's and Z4's are built there.... And, VW builds all of their cars in Mexico.... well not all, but most of them are built there...
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

All new beetles are from mexico, the mazda MX6 so i assume 6 is from flint rock michigan, the eclipse is from normal illinois, the gallant from australia, the z3 from carolina, the civic, oddyssey pilot and mx3 canada, my aurora from outside of detroit, the accord and TL from marysville ohio i think, but the RL is from japan.

when you talk about porsche contracting out, look at the 914, it was a VW porsche joint venture and labled that way overseas. porsche audi and VW shared a lot in the 60s and 70s. porsche designed the 924 using VW parts. the death knell of the 914 was when VW got a new boss that decided VW had to sell 914 bodies (i think it was bodies) to porsche for more than the actual cost.

porsche designed the 924 to be sold as an upscale 914 sold by audi. at the last minute audi backed out, and porsche decided to put a porsche badge on the audi with vw parts. so i assume audi employees built the car.

oh, the volve c70 is not built by volvo. i forget who builds it, but i think it is the same company the builds the boxster.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:04 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey, Audi builds the A6's in China!
Old 08-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

and most K2 skis are now made in ..... yep, China..... but then K2 has Dan Quayle on their board of directors because.... well, they said "just because"!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:49 AM
944ZEN
Instructor

porsche designed the 924 to be sold as an upscale 914 sold by audi.
That's not all correct. As i read on a lot of 924 sites (had 4 off them). The 924 was a replacement for the 914, that didn't sell very well with the porsche logo on it (2L engine) vs. the VW brand (1.7L engine). The 924 was also designed as a "cheap" 928, or introductory car. And it was supposed to sell under the WV brand. In 75' VW empire had a new President, who did'nt believe in VW producing a "sport" car in the midst off a energy crises, so he canceled the project, and Porche bought the right's for $60.000.000,-
Old 08-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Alex Cook
Instructor

According to the Morgan book, the last 130 S2 coupes and 419 cabrios were built in-house at Stuttgart. (all Euro spec)

That would be a pretty cool car to have. Someone here must have one!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Brian makes an interesting point about Boxsters being made in Finland.

Some Boxsters are made in Stuttgart (mine is actually Stuttgart build), but the majority in Finland. Some people have stated that the Finnish build cars are of a higher quality than the Stuttgart ones, particularly with regard to paint.

Porsche's partner in Finland is Valmet Automotive. It looks like an impressive operation. Here is a link for those interested:

http://www.valmet-automotive.com/
Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh, the volve c70 is not built by volvo. i forget who builds it, but i think it is the same company the builds the boxster.
Valmet Automotive have not made Volvos. They have mess around with the other Swede; Saab. They started to manufacture Saabs in 1968. All of the Saab convertibles came from Finland. Quite recently Saab convertible manufacturing was moved to Austria, so Valmet Automotive is a pure Porsche plant. Over 80% of Boxters come from Finland.

So far Valmet Automotive have made Saabs, Talbots (French car) , Porsches and suprise suprise Lada Samara Russian tried to sell these Ladas to european market, but quality was so poor. That's why they turned to Valmet Automotive. Valmet made Ladas about two years. The quality was much better but it wasen't a hit in europe.

Porsche have difficulties to sell Boxters, so Valmet Automotive have also have difficulties. Quite many employee had to go

Quick Reply: Neckarsulm vs. Stuttgart...who made who?