Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY at Home Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a floor jack to remove a tranny once. Then I went and bought a proper transmission jack (floor-type) and it was worth every penny.

In my driveway I've removed an engine from the top and from the bottom. Removal from the bottom involved using the engine hoist (bolted to the frame rails) to lift the front of the car a few feet up, with the rear torsion bar carrier on jack stands (to pivot). A few layers of cardboard allow for the engine to slide out and back in. My neighbors were not amused.

Dropping the rear suspension was actually the hardest thing for me to do in the driveway - it would have been nice to have 4 transmission jacks, but I managed with 1 floor jack and 2 stacks of lumber (and to lower it I'd pull out a piece of lumber like Jenga).

Nowadays I'm spoiled. I have access to a garage with a lift, and for times I need to balance a large part, I just wait until friend(s) are available to help.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

When I lowered my rear suspension, I remember it being 6 or so bolts - plus the rear shocks. The most challenging part was prying down the torsion bar, which required wedging a bar behind the banana arms.

I somehow managed to slightly crack the metal fuel return line that runs over the torsion tube carrier (?) so be mindful that the lines are up there, right where you need to pry. Not sure how I nicked it, but I did.

The brake lines were also really annoying to get back together... I needed to tap/thread chase and die the fittings, for whatever reason they wouldn't thread back together. Weird.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

Some good news. I changed the oil and filter and removed the spark plugs and valve cover. I poured some oil on the cams and in the spark plug holes. I took off the upper timing belt cover. The belts look good and the engine turned very easily. I tried the key and only got a "thunk-thunk". So at least I know the engine turns and the starter is probably bad. Ill drain the gas tank today and put some fresh gas in. Some carb cleaner is usually enough to revive the fuel pump. And the starter is probably seized. No PBlaster here so WD40 and brake cleaner with have to do. Wish me luck>
Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 PM
hopps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission jack is an amazing thing. I used it to remove the transmission (a few times) and also to lower the engine from under the car. Couldn't take it out from above because the roof overhead. However, basically everything can be done with a jack and jack stands. Not a thing I have absolutely NEEDED a lift for. Tons of things it would've been nice for.

Edit: Wanted to add in that it's a covered driveway, and not some fancy indoor garage or anything. We covered the driveway to get the Georgia Sun off us while working
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

a little cleaning, a little grease and 5 times, apart-together, the starter is good to go.
the clutch fork is pushed all the way in. The slave cylinder and fork moves freely. What does that mean?
It cranks nicely but no fuel pump noise.
Its a pity I cant just restore it.
Off to Niijima tomorrow!!! rest well my babies.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

So you've been playing with the S2 to check its condition before the swap?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

yup. I couldn`t help myself. I realize now how huge this takes is. There are so many goodies on this car. The automatic car, light gold on black cloth, is essentially perfect in every way, except for being born an automatic 2.7.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...66212989727089

My red on black 951 in wrong in so many ways, apart from being born a turbo, i.e. interior, cheap sh%$#ty paint job and overall body.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...12040554022529

The S2 is would be perfect, except for the clutch, burnt paint and seats and the fact it cant be registered
https://plus.google.com/photos/10640...03652730027025
Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Sounds like the only option then is to build a 3.0 16v turbo and put it into the 89 body, with S2 transmission and suspension all around, and have the turbo stuff as spares
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Back from vacation and popped off the fuel pump and thankfully the tank was almost empty. the only fuel in it was what I put in.
I loosened the clutch pedal adjuster and the pedal started to move and fork to moved more freely. How much tension should be on that thing? I can move it with a long screwdriver.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a regular floor jack to replace my trans. Getting the old one out was no problem. While putting the new one in, it fell off the jack about 12 inches on to the concrete floor. It wasn't damaged as my arm was under it to break it's fall.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Ouch!! I`ll definitely borrow the engine attachment for the floor jack. I attached a good fuel pump and cranked it over. It almost started but the battery died. Turns out the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the line was acting like a garden sprinkler hose. So I decided to leave forget about starting it. The S2 is so nice. ABS, factory alarm, rear 3 point seat-belts, etc. Pity it cant be restored. I wish I had a hoist I could just lift the body off.
BTW I found that a spark plug lead was leaking causing the mis-fire, intermittent rough idle on the turbo. Sealed and taped it up and the idle is now beautiful.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

I couldn`t control myself so in the slightly cooler afternoon, I removed the exhaust. Yippy, only one broken bolt. Torque tube was easy as with the PS pump. All that remains is the AC compressor. I think I will leave the cross-member, steering rack and hubs connected because I plan to swap them over anyway. I am sure the hubs are different from the regular car. The only mistake I made was to start removing the wiring harness from the front of the engine. Totally un-necessary. I had to move the car since a sink hole started rear the left rear wheel. Ill probably need the whole rear end as well to get the bigger brakes thats. So far I think dropping the engine is way easier than the transmission.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Been doing some research and cant seem to find the answer I am looking for. Should I swap the entire rear end of the both cars or should I only swap the hubs in order to get the calipers? Is there any difference in the S2 rear suspension compared to the automatic i.e. torsion bar, sway bar.?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 AM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

got the engine out today. Yeah!! On my back, on gravel, in 35degreeC heat. I forgot to completely remove the steering ujoint. Once that was free, clearance... I removed the front bumper cover, so easy and the a/c condenser, so easy, stacked a few bricks and jacked it up a bit and she gave birth. I tried pulling the engine out on the plastic sheet it sat on, to no avail so I put it on a Japanese style dolly which added about 10cm in height but at least I could roll it out with relative ease. I removed the clutch cover to find the release bearing had separated and the clutch disk rubber center destroyed.
What would cause the release bearing to split?
Next, the 2.7 engine from the automatic. Now that I know what I am doing I will try to drop the engine in 3-5 hours and at the very least get the 3.0l in place.
Pity I only have Saturdays 12-6 to work on these cars....
Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Everything was going well, until 1 flywheel bolt stripped. I needed a new drill bit set anyway. It came out like butter. Removed the 8V engine. The 16V engine got stuck in a sinkhole. Hurray. Took me 1 hour to get it out. I lined up the 16V in the engine bay. Next to negotiate the 8V 500m downhill on a handcart to my place. I almost passed out on the way to work, after working on the car this morning. Shortness of breath, blurred vision, dizziness and sudden sweating. Dehydration is not funny.
Tomorrow, install the engine, front suspension, steering, radiator, etc and remove the rear end.

Quick Reply: DIY at Home Swap