Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bursch exhaust long term/high miles opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Bursch exhaust long term/high miles opinion?

Application is an '88 n/a 944: Thinking of buying the Bursch header to muffler tip (full exhaust). Reviews have said it rusts out quickly, and some people don't like the sound. Bursch offers various coatings on their product for additional cost. Thinking about giving it a go, but curious about long term durability & opinion from someone with experience. Thanks!

The other option I am very interested in is the long tube headers mated to a Dansk cat back. I really like the sound & looks of this kit, but conserned about fitment as the Bursch is slightly larger diameter than the Dask, which is factory spec (for what I can tell online). Has any one done this route?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy..
Ten years ago, a PO added the full Bursch system (header to cat to tip) on my '88 n/a.
The muffler lasted 6 years, whence the most recent PO welded on a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler.
The SuperTurbo is getting replaced next week with another as I love the sound.
Yes, a full stainless system lasts way longer but I'm very pleased with sound, torque and revs over 3,500 rpm of my hybrid solution. After 10 years, only the mufflers have rusted at the front seam welds.
Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bursch system. It was on my 944 when I bought it, so I don't know how old it is. I can tell you the outside is visibly quite rusty from header to muffler, although I do not see any holes.

As I've commented before, which I believe you've read and replied to, I do not like the sound at all. At idle, it's actually pretty decent, in fact it's pretty decent in general...EXCEPT when at two different RPM points when it gets all raspy. Extremely raspy. Embarrassingly raspy. Those points are right around 2000rpm, and again at about 2800 or 2900.

I've listened to the Dansk videos on YouTube and like the sound a lot. You are correct there will be fitment problems, because the Dansk system is designed to bolt up to either a stock cat pipe (if you get just the muffler section), or to the Y-pipe that collects the two headers (if you get the intermediate section as well, which has a resonator instead of a cat). With the Bursch system, neither of those two intended hookup points exist anymore, so the Dansk system would have to be spliced in.

I was originally planning on doing this...Now I'm going to go a different way, get a resonator and muffler from Summit and have them spliced in, possibly replacing the tubing as well, but retaining the Bursch header. I will be using the specific parts recommended by odurandina in his thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ht=died+heaven This has the advantage of being a lot less expensive than the Dansk system, even with custom 2.5" tubing.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first exhaust upgrade for my ’89 N/A was with the Bursch system, headers and muffler, and it sounded nice for a few years. But, I live near the ocean and the salt ate it up causing the muffler to start rattling something fierce.

I’ve replaced the system with a header from MSDS, Martin Schneider Design Systems in Glendale CA, and had it ceramic coated.

The muffler was fabricated by Broadfoot Racing, Jacksonvile FL, but this time its stainless steel with a 2.5" diameter pipe size, ½ inch thick flange and heavy duty hangers.

You can check both out from their web-sites.

http://www.msdsinc.com

http://www.broadfootracing.com

If you think you’ll own the car for over 5 years, then it’s best to go with a stainless steel cat back system because it will last longer.

From experience I would have to recommend the MSDS header because it was better quality, but I wouldn’t recommend any ceramic coatings. I don’t believe it deduces the temperatures under the hood as claimed, that’s just my opinion.

Good luck...
Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

Really awesome insights & sharing going on here!! I am learning a lot.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the way mine sounds too. I switched to a turbo cat back that has a resignator. If you have a lower chassis brace you gotta "make room". Mine leaks between the sections and I can't get them to seal, so I think they're all wonky. I bough it used in 2009. Only surface rust and no cracks.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

I picked up a set of Bursch headers recently and they sure look cool. When I get some time I intend to see what they do on a dyno for fun...I also have some one-off headers to test as well.

I think they will be a nice pairing with the supercharger.

Quick Reply: Bursch exhaust long term/high miles opinion?