Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? 944 NA as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think everyone will say yes..it's rubber and over time it will deteriorate. For the piece of mind it will bring you I would just have it changed
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
While I agree on some of your posts, you do sometimes push out some blanket statements that make no sense to some of us on these forums.

I've driven my 86 944 daily or very frequently since new. It's got over 190k miles. Apart from regular maintenance items and tires I spent less than $2k over the first fifteen years and another nearly $3k to date. I still drive it two or three times a week on 80 mile commutes.

It's been one of the most reliable and cheapest cars to maintain that I have ever owned.
results do vary.... a 968 is still lethal, even if you do your own wrenching.

100 k mile engine service on a 968 amounts to just south of $2,500 in parts at the dealer.

1. I got 198 k miles of records for my 968, including 121 I've done myself. it's had only 1 serious failure (blown headgasket), but even without that, it's been a small fortune to run. hell, the rubber and cog thingies on my car alone will kill ya. to be fair, my 944 was cheaper.

2. you also don't bill yourself for the shop hours.

3. this forum will never be data mined for the carnage....

4. the n/a cars cost a lot compared to the performance.

5. it's a cult dammit.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know several guys that have daily driven 944/951 for decades now.

No where near the mythical B.S costs or fantasy reliability issues odurandina posts about.

Nothing but a 944 troll!

Look around these forums and you will find hundreds of 200k mile cars and some with 300k+.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I know several guys that have daily driven 944/951 for decades now.

No where near the mythical B.S costs or fantasy reliability issues odurandina posts about.

Nothing but a 944 troll!

Look around these forums and you will find hundreds of 200k mile cars and some with 300k+.
+1

One of the most reliable sport cars.

OD is rennlist drama queen.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Jorgen944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove mine to my office for the first time today, not a bad little daily for decent summer days to offset the boredom of driving a WK2 Grand Cherokee now. I plan to run mine probably a couple days a week in the summer when I don't have my daughter and pretty much all of the weekend time I am without her and don't need to carry more than myself and my golf clubs.

Looking at things the repair costs her don't seem too scary on my 944 I am buying parts to refresh things and it really isn't bad in my eyes. I guess to be far I should clarify I am coming from a 2005.5 B7 Audi S4 with the V8 lump which was a pretty ridiculous car to maintain even completing all of the work myself.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

hey nobody's denying that a few 944s have survived.

but posting on RL?? hundreds of people at 200 k+?

I'm not sure 100 people even post on both forums combined, let alone have
any idea who their daddy really is (just because their momma told them so).

they sent a bazillion of them 944 maintenance hogs over here.

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of them ever made it to 200 k.

come on man.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-26-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by odurandina
hey nobody's denying that a few 944s have survived.

but posting on RL?? hundreds of people at 200 k+?

I'm not sure 100 people even post on both forums combined, let alone have
any idea who their daddy really is (just because their momma told them so).

they sent a bazillion of them 944 maintenance hogs over here.

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of them ever made it to 200 k.

come on man.

You lose more and more credibility every time you post these days.

Properly maintained these cars are extremely reliable. You can't seem to present any facts, just a constant flow of B.S.

They are old. People that buy old cars that haven't been taken care of come to a forum looking for solutions. Having to fix a neglected old car isn't "reliability" its "reality". The parts aren't that expensive. Nowhere near the B.S. Numbers you toss around.

With as many people as I know personally with 200k+ cars in my local community I can assure you there are easily hundreds of examples! maybe even thousands. There were nearly 175k of these cars. (944/951 combined). Even if only 2% posted on a forum to ask about an issue then it would falsely appear like a big issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Cole
Drifting

Hell, just on cars.com alone there are. 24 listed that are over 100k(highest filter they have ) a large percentage of those are nearing or over the 200k mark.

Nearly 100 currently listed/recent sales on ebay with around the 175k mark.

These are just the ones for sale, right this moment.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The parts aren't that expensive.
~$700 for a wiper motor, ~$100 for hatch seal gaskets/seals, $75 for window seal scrapers, $160 for a door seal, $265 for an air/oil separator ... I couldn't disagree more

But with that said mine is a bit over 150k miles and I'm getting to know the car and I do get the satisfaction of a little DIY.

However if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Beetle convertible less than 10 years old and upgraded the turbo and exhaust. I could still maintain it, have fun with it, and not encounter the Porsche tax (read expensive parts)

My goal is 500k miles on the 944 and Porsche will use it in an ad and give me a free 911 in exchange for putting it in a museum
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
~$700 for a wiper motor, ~$100 for hatch seal gaskets/seals, $75 for window seal scrapers, $160 for a door seal, $265 for an air/oil separator ... I couldn't disagree more

But with that said mine is a bit over 150k miles and I'm getting to know the car and I do get the satisfaction of a little DIY.

However if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Beetle convertible less than 10 years old and upgraded the turbo and exhaust. I could still maintain it, have fun with it, and not encounter the Porsche tax (read expensive parts)

My goal is 500k miles on the 944 and Porsche will use it in an ad and give me a free 911 in exchange for putting it in a museum
Those prices are inline with just about any German car. Even cheap compared to parts for some classic VWs.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

I think the key word here is "classic".

If you like the nostalgia and (in my case) the look, then go for it. If it's value you seek, a classic (whether Porsche or VW) isn't what you want.

Look, a car is made up of 5,000 parts. With a newer car, maybe a couple parts will fail every few yers and will need attention, with an older car, parts are failing faster than you can repair them. Keeping up with the repairs is at minimum a part time job unless of course you just pay a shop to maintain it. For the majority of posters here, money isn't an issue, a grand here, and grand there, eh it's only money. In my case even a hundred bucks makes a difference in my life.

But let's not lose track of the OP's original question. See my earlier post (#26), no matter the disagreement on the particulars, that summary is indisputable.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:05 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

If you want a reliable DD get a new Hyundai. You won't beat the value proposition. On the other hand if you are a driver then a 944 is a great car. Not having read three pages I didn't catch the nature of the DD. If it's a commute from downtown Toronto to the burbs ( or similar nightmarish) then forget it and take the bus, you'll be happier with an even happier wallet. But if its 20 mile jaunt down some country blacktops then go for it.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Mostly inline with other German cars, don't forget you are paying these prices because they will (theoretically) last longer, TUV, better quality control, etc.

The new wiper motor even at $700 will last you 20+ years however you can rebuild them with new brushes, yes they are rebuildable, so are the starters, so are the alternators, so are the water pumps, even the blower motors, radiator fans, headlight motors, which is more than you can say about the "sealed for life" parts that are on Japanese cars. $160 for a door seal that will last at least 10 years is $16 a year on your maintenance costs. Air/Oil separator that will last you at least 15 years is $18 on an annual basis.

Even the cheaper new cars today are quoted with annual maintenance costs over $500, so really if you add everything up and compare to new small coupes today the 944 probably compares quite well.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom R.
You should have told him about the backup car before he sold me his backup car.

Speaking of backup cars, should we bring the Astra to the track this Saturday along with the 944 just in case - so we have a backup car to get us home - just in case the antique acts like an antique?
LOL i would jump in the car i sold you and drive it to new york tomorrow with zero hesitations. So you should be fine
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

I think the key word here is "classic".

If you like the nostalgia and (in my case) the look, then go for it. If it's value you seek, a classic (whether Porsche or VW) isn't what you want.

Look, a car is made up of 5,000 parts. With a newer car, maybe a couple parts will fail every few yers and will need attention, with an older car, parts are failing faster than you can repair them. Keeping up with the repairs is at minimum a part time job unless of course you just pay a shop to maintain it. For the majority of posters here, money isn't an issue, a grand here, and grand there, eh it's only money. In my case even a hundred bucks makes a difference in my life.

But let's not lose track of the OP's original question. See my earlier post (#26), no matter the disagreement on the particulars, that summary is indisputable.
Price a wiper motor for the beetle.... Its not pretty i imagine. Also we tend to buy used parts for things like that. I needlessly replaced the wiper motor in my S for $50 because i thought it was bad. Instead it was the stalk assembly. Used was... $50. :P I do all of my own work and this car is way easier to work on than the 2000 passat i used to maintain and my friends A4 was. I just got a cheap 97 saab, its problems are also harder to deal with than the 944's i've owned.

I've DD'd 944's for 6 years now, i've been stranded once. I popped a coolant hose, which happens to any car.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? 944 NA as a DD